Want to breed some puppies?

Bec

Disclaimer: I have been meaning to post this article for a while. I think it's a worthwhile read for anyone who is considering breeding their dogs. We all know the positive side to breeding, but there are many risks you take when you breed your dog and the article below outlines some of these risks. If you are interested in breeding, and after lots of research and consideration are still keen on doing so, it is worthwhile contacting your local breed club and getting as involved in the breed as possible, and find a reputable breeder to mentor you.

Many dog lovers will recall the exciting birth scene in the popular Disney cartoon 101 Dalmatians. The labour is going well behind closed doors and suddenly the nanny brings out the last Dalmatian puppy  born still. Guardian Roger begins to rub the little guy with a towel and a few agonising minutes later the pup miraculously comes to life, healthy and happy.

In real life, breeders are sometimes not so lucky. There are many dangers involved during and after the birth and not having the experience and knowledge can result in serious injury or death of both the mother and the puppies.It is much better to leave breeding to the experts, for the health and wellbeing not only of the pups, but also of the mother.

Breeding is not a cheap exercise and many breeders will tell you how much hard work and dedication goes into it.

There is no easy buck to make in breeding and you could not only have a sick dog on your hands, but also be out of pocket for thousands of dollars in vet bills. Things to consider!

What if during the breeding: The stud dog you have chosen is carrying a venereal disease and gives it to your bitch, which not only conceives but also gets an infection which you have to pay to get cleaned up at the vet. Or the stud dog is not experienced and once the two are joined tightly in a tie, he decides to chase the neighbour’s cat out of his yard. He bolts for the cat, ripping his penis loose, causing your bitch to haemorrhage from within?

What if during the birth: The puppies are too large for your bitch’s hips. She never goes into labour, the pups die and she becomes infected by the decaying bodies. Or the pup is coming out breach and because the water sack has burst early, it gets stuck and your bitch tries to help by pulling on the pup’s leg hard, peeling the flesh from the leg. A dead pup may also get stuck in the birth canal and your bitch, who is well into hard labour, contracts so hard trying to give birth that her uterus ruptures and she bleeds to death on the way to the vet?

What if directly after birth: The mother has no idea what to do with a puppy and she drops them out and leaves them in the sack to drown. Or she tries to smother them because she finds them disgusting. She may also get too enthusiastic in removing the placenta and umbilical cord, either ripping the cord out to cause a gushing hole of blood you hopelessly try to stop, or disembowelling the pups as they are born, forcing you to put all of them to sleep?

What if, when you think you are in the clear: Your pups inhale fluid during birth, pneumonia develops and death occurs within 36 hours. Or the mother’s milk goes bad, you lose some of your pups before you discover what is wrong and you end up bottle feeding the remaining pups every two hours, only to find them dying from infection. The pups may also develop fading puppy syndrome and die or your bitch develops mastitis and her breast ruptures. If she develops a uterine infection from a retained placenta, she may need to be spayed to save her life and you pay hundreds of dollars in vet bills. But the infection goes into her blood stream, infects the milk that kills all the pups, and then your bitch succumbs a day later.

Excerpts from: http://www.dogslife.com.au/dogs_life_articles?cid=9450

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good post bec, very hard hitting. i'd love to breed working sibes one day but will be getting a mentor and having a vet there with me aswell (do vets do that)

the very idea of something going wrong terrifies me :confused:

Guest snowdog

oh dear may have been me, sorry if its a sore point, but please do not think that i havnt turned this upside down and all around carefully and it is still early days and i may decide to give a pup a home and not let Neeko have a litter, but i only really started the conversation of asking abour were i stood with kc, not breeding, sorry if i offended anyone but i am not an irresponsible sibey owner, and not after money no no no xx

oh dear may have been me, sorry if its a sore point, but please do not think that i havnt turned this upside down and all around carefully and it is still early days and i may decide to give a pup a home and not let Neeko have a litter, but i only really started the conversation of asking abour were i stood with kc, not breeding, sorry if i offended anyone but i am not an irresponsible sibey owner, and not after money no no no xx

Don't worry, I'm not upset or offended and this wasn't aimed at you - just thought it might be good for anyone looking at breeding their dogs.

Thanks for posting this...I hope that it helps people to be more serious about bringing more life into the world. Most of the breeders here do it only for the money and they think nothing of the mother or the pups. Once when I was about 4 we had a litter where the mothers uterus did rupture during a breach and she did nearly bleed to death. If not for a vet who rushed to our family's home at 3 in the morning, she would have died. I myself, never want to breed and any dogs who come to live with me will be strictly companions as I would never like to see something like that again and I would never be willing to just hand over pups to just anyone after the work i would be putting into caring for them in their first 8 weeks.

There is one thing i would like to add to reasons why you should not breed unless you know what youre doing.

- if you are inexperienced and you allow the pups out too early with their mother they could be attacked, harmed and/or killed by their own father. Many males from different species are known to attack and kill their own young if they are not protected well enough. Also on this note...their have been instances when the bitch has killed her own pup because her instincts tell her that there is something wrong with the pup.

Just a couple more things to consider before breeding.

Guest snowdog

Thankyou, these are great points and i have considered every thing that has been said, as i say its still early days, we have however built a huge area out back with three big sections all in 8ft galvanised chain link with 4x4 posts and it has three huge 8ft doubl gates seperating the area in to three comartments and an area for everyone as we obviously keep our sibes apart when not with them one there different sex two because they should not be left alone anyway, but i had looked into fostering sibes as i feel really passionate about giving these pups a loving enviroment, but i also want to think about neeko and neo having pups, and then i may not, but rest assured we have a huge area and all thought out maticulasly (spelt wrong!?) in case of fostering or baby fur babies x

Guest snowdog

oh ok gotcha, sos, but i still appreciate the info, sorry to bombard people with all this tedious info its just, i dont want people thinking im a money grabbing, insensitive , numpty who is putting her babies at risk, noooooo waaaaay, sos again x

Exactly why I and my wife are not interested in breeding. We love Siberian Huskies, and puppies are so cute, but the risks and our lack of knowledge and experience in breeding and birthing overweigh any desire we might of had to breed a litter. Thanks for posting this Bec. It's hard-hitting, but very important information that many people would not normally be aware of.

i found this on another forum, just thought it had a place in this thread :)

this is worth reading.

Announcing "THE MIRACLE OF BIRTH" Videotape

Intended for all those who want to breed little fluffy in order to let their children experience the "miracle" of birth, this real-time video tape set can either substitute for home breeding or guide you in making the most of your breeding decision.

Experience the joys of seeing a live puppy pop effortlessly from its mother's body and see her consume the bloody afterbirth! (Most children will squeal with delight when seeing this for the first time - many will make a life-long commitment to celibacy then and there.)

Enjoy watching the frantic efforts of a breeder trying to resuscitate a still-born puppy.

See the hilarious actions of a bitch who searches for the puppy she thinks she just dropped but which was quickly tossed into the wastebasket because it was only a blackened, half-developed fetus.

Reserve a full 36 hours to see the entire set of tapes in one sitting to really share the drama, boredom, and exhaustion of the breeder as she labors to help her struggling bitch in extended labor.

Watch as a breeder tries to recruit several helpers to carry her dying bitch to the car for transport to the nearest animal hospital in a futile attempt at saving the beloved family pet (Seeing the children crying and asking what is happening is half the fun!)

Follow the fun as a breeder and his wife alternate duties during a full week of 4-hour bottle feedings with a fading puppy while also trying to keep 13 others dry and healthy!

And, as an extra added attraction:

Laugh with us at the madcap antics of a typical shelter worker as she accepts new animals while keeping a straight face as mom and dad assure little Kevin that the nice lady will take VERY GOOD care of 8-year floppy. Enjoy the thrills as she later shoves unwanted puppies and adult dogs into a gas chamber as she chokes back tears and goes home to try and explain to her children just what she does at work!

And, for a limited time only, we will include free of charge the video tape of a recent arrest made by the local animal control officer who discovered that someone had falsely declared his male dogs neutered (to save on license fees) and then discovered he was planning to do the job himself at home!

The second half of the same bonus tape shows the chagrin of a backyard breeder who was tracked down from her telephone number which was all she ever gave out. This wonderful person would arrange to meet people at local shopping malls where she handed over her 4-5 week-old puppies for $120 each! We were all amazed to find that those 20 puppies she was selling each year all came from the same single bitch and dog.

Yes, if you, or a friend, are considering breeding Fluffy to show children the "miracle" of birth, be sure to get this video and show them the miracle of death at the same time!

i dont want people thinking im a money grabbing, insensitive , numpty who is putting her babies at risk

The fact is if you breed your dogs you ARE putting them, and any puppies they are carrying, at risk. There is no way to guarantee no risk, even if you are an experienced breeder who knows what they are doing. There is always risk involved with breeding your dogs, it is up to you to decide if it is worth putting your dogs at that risk or not.

Everything that is listed in the article I posted could happen to your bitch or pups.

Guest snowdog

tHATS A FAIR POINT, BUTIF NOBODY EVEN EXPERIENCED BREEDERS DIDNT TAKE THE RISK WE WOULD HAVE NO SIBEY BABES, AND IF THE WOMAN I HAD NEEKO FROM HADNT LET ALASKA HAVE A LITTER, THERE WOULD BE NO NEEKO, UNTHINKABLE! ANYHOW IVE PUT A POLL UP, I CAN HALF GUESS WHAT THE OUT COME WILL BE, BUT WANT TO GET A CLEAR PICTURE OF WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE FORUM USERS OPINION IS, THANKS EVERYONE XX

tHATS A FAIR POINT, BUTIF NOBODY EVEN EXPERIENCED BREEDERS DIDNT TAKE THE RISK WE WOULD HAVE NO SIBEY BABES, AND IF THE WOMAN I HAD NEEKO FROM HADNT LET ALASKA HAVE A LITTER, THERE WOULD BE NO NEEKO, UNTHINKABLE! ANYHOW IVE PUT A POLL UP, I CAN HALF GUESS WHAT THE OUT COME WILL BE, BUT WANT TO GET A CLEAR PICTURE OF WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE FORUM USERS OPINION IS, THANKS EVERYONE XX

That's true, but any good breeder breeds not only for themselves but to contribute something positive to the breed.

Our family has an 11 year old dog we bought from a pet store. In hindsight, we know now that buying dogs from pet stores is wrong and there is a very high chance our little dog came from a puppy farm. I could say that if that puppy farmer had never bred the 100s of dogs he pumps out every year that I'd never have my little Cherry dog and that's true - but it doesn't mean puppy farming is right or that I should support puppy farmers.

Definately think carefully

we did a planned mating last year. Owned both parents, both fully health checked (thats a cost of about 200 per dog even BEFORE the mating) and as we own dad, no stud fee to pay.

Pegnancy progressed well UNTIL mum went into whelp, and presented us with a large puddle of nasty-looking discharge.

Cue dash to vets, sunday afternoon, out-of-hours rate, for whelping mum to undergo an emergency caesarian having revealed a closed pyometra.

One puppy stillborn, next to the party-developed decomposing pup next to him, which caused the pyo, and one live puppy who got lucky because she was in the opposite uterine horn away from the source of infection.

Mum spayed to save her life!

Total cost for one live pup 800

The mother of the foster pups she reared alongside her own single pup was less lucky, she died from heart failure during her caesarian. Her fostered orphans were the lucky ones of a litter of 10. Their breeder lost 3 of the 5 remaining pups she handreared.

It's no walk in the park!

Guest snowdog

Thats a terrible thing to happen, and yes it is a downside, and i agree it is no walk in the park,and as my husband said we would not go ahead with it unless we had the funds in the bank to cover the c-section cost and other eventualities , of which have been listed by our vet alongside a price for each and every thing that may go wrong, and also money aside to treat the pups and keep them looked after, until we decide who takes home the pup, and a contract is drawn up, looked over by our solicitors, i have a friend who's sister has been breeding for 20 yrs and sad things happen, but also great things happen 2 xx

Also can i add, that this is a one time event, that my family would enjoy, and experience, ang i pray to god that all will be well, if we decide to go ahead, and then Neo our male sibe will be neutered, as with any operation there are horror stories and Neeko could pass away being spayed, so i am not wanting to make money, i am not wanting to bringsomething to a gene pool , i am wanting to have my baby have her family and keep some of her pups with her and their dad, god willing, and this is still undecided!!! xx

Also can i add, that this is a one time event, that my family would enjoy, and experience, ang i pray to god that all will be well, if we decide to go ahead, and then Neo our male sibe will be neutered, as with any operation there are horror stories and Neeko could pass away being spayed, so i am not wanting to make money, i am not wanting to bringsomething to a gene pool , i am wanting to have my baby have her family and keep some of her pups with her and their dad, god willing, and this is still undecided!!! xx

And of course, you'll be prepared to take back any dog you breed for the entirety of it's life - prepared to own more than two sibes? More than three? Four or five? Are you prepared to be there for your puppy buyers 24/7 with any question they have?

There's more risk when you are breeding than there is with desexing, and when you breed you are in charge of more than just the life of your dog, you are in charge of the life of those pups too.

I'm sure your family will enjoy it, unless something goes wrong :)

We have planned to let nooks have one set of pups not for gain but because I want her to experiance motherhood she will be sterelised after her birthing but after looking at becs written piece I am wondering if I am doing the right thing as I value nooks she is My child and would hate to lose her if anything went wrong in child birth husky hugsssxx

Guest snowdog

There is allways good and bad, this is why i am still undicided, does the prospect of seeing you babies fur babies out weight the horrible though of anything happening, and ever forgiving yourself if it did, but if you do your homework and you are a responsible sibe loving owner with common sence and funds to follow throughout pregnancy and birth and afterwards whilst finding a suitable home, then there should be no reason why not, as if everyone decided not to have a baby because of all the things that can happen then we would be extinct in no time! I know the turmoil im in it also.xx

There is allways good and bad, this is why i am still undicided, does the prospect of seeing you babies fur babies out weight the horrible though of anything happening, and ever forgiving yourself if it did, but if you do your homework and you are a responsible sibe loving owner with common sence and funds to follow throughout pregnancy and birth and afterwards whilst finding a suitable home, then there should be no reason why not, as if everyone decided not to have a baby because of all the things that can happen then we would be extinct in no time! I know the turmoil im in it also.xx

we know a lot more about human medicine than dog. its much easier to save a human life than a dogs.

and even with funds for a c - section and a vet on standby you cant guarrentee that the bitch or pups will be fine

We definitely need good breeders breeding good dogs. I always encourage people who want to breed to do so - but to do it well or not at all, because you are putting so much at stake.

The breed will become extinct if we breed from unpapered dogs, too ;)