What's the best food, are we doing the right thing?

Hi, newbie on the forum.

We have 2 sibes, bith 20 months give or take a week, since we've had both of them we have fed a mix of complete dog food, Superdog Puppy, now Active, and Pedigree Chum meat.

We have recently changed their diets now as they just don't ever seem to want to eat, especially in the mornings so we now feed Davies Ranger complete with a tin of either tuna or sardines in tomato ketchup or oil.

They absolutely love this adnd its so good to see them enjoying their food, I just wonder if there are any long term effects that could occur due to the protein intake from the fish?

What do you guys feed yours also, just curious?

Thanks

Ian

most of us feed tuna or similar once or twice a week mate, and alot of us here feed a barf diet. there are full threads on the forum about feeding, have a nose about and a read. its a very personal thing per dog, some like things, other dont, just try for yourself and see what works :-)

try for yourself and see what works :-)

Ade has said it all really! Sibes seem to be as individual as people in some ways and what suits one may not suit another.

The fish shouldn't be a problem - after all, the original Chukchi dogs would have had a winter diet pretty much made up of fish and/or seal blubber (which is only "processed" fish when you think about it!;))

Mick

We have recently changed their diets now as they just don't ever seem to want to eat, especially in the mornings so we now feed Davies Ranger complete with a tin of either tuna or sardines in tomato ketchup or oil.

Ian, we feed ours dry food (kibble) mixed with sardines or mackerel or tuna, sometimes raw mince or chicken wings. As has been said already, some people choose to feed BARF to their huskies, it is just down to preference. My husky Myshka, had always been a picky feeder, she'd eat one type of kibble for 2 or 3 days max, then stop, so we changed food, little realising we were playing right into her paws, stubborn mare! That has now stopped as we vary her diet slightly by adding different things daily.

One thing I picked up on in your post, & I didn't realise this until I read it on the forum, don't give your huskies canned fish in tomato sauce (or brine, come to that), it is high in salt content & not good for them, try it in sunflower oil. I also used to give gravy from time to time & learnt that is the same, so I mix an oxo cube instead. Again, all little tips we share for the best for our furbabies! :)

Ian, we feed ours dry food (kibble) mixed with sardines or mackerel or tuna, sometimes raw mince or chicken wings. As has been said already, some people choose to feed BARF to their huskies, it is just down to preference. My husky Myshka, had always been a picky feeder, she'd eat one type of kibble for 2 or 3 days max, then stop, so we changed food, little realising we were playing right into her paws, stubborn mare! That has now stopped as we vary her diet slightly by adding different things daily.

One thing I picked up on in your post, & I didn't realise this until I read it on the forum, don't give your huskies canned fish in tomato sauce (or brine, come to that), it is high in salt content & not good for them, try it in sunflower oil. I also used to give gravy from time to time & learnt that is the same, so I mix an oxo cube instead. Again, all little tips we share for the best for our furbabies! :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated, just the sunflower oil sardines then, we don't let them have brine but thought the tomato sauce ones were ok, they love em, its so nice to see em eat up instead of the " what the **** is that?" look I'm sure we've all seen ;)

lol

I feed my boys Burns high energy lamb and also a few times a week they get chicken wings or turkey legs - much - crunch -nice lol

oxo cubes are great - my boys love it as a treat. :up:

It's a personal choice really - i looked at the ingredients on different foods before i chose one i was happy with my boys eating - i didn't want any horrible additives in - bit like feeding kids smarties all the time lol

lol

I feed my boys Burns high energy lamb and also a few times a week they get chicken wings or turkey legs - much - crunch -nice lol

oxo cubes are great - my boys love it as a treat. :up:

It's a personal choice really - i looked at the ingredients on different foods before i chose one i was happy with my boys eating - i didn't want any horrible additives in - bit like feeding kids smarties all the time lol

Just after the earlier quote my wife comes home from ASDA with 12 tins of sardines in tomato sauce and 4 tins of pilchards in tomato sauce, Salt content 1.5g, is that alot?

Otherwise theyre going in the bin and its back to the supermarket lol

Just after the earlier quote my wife comes home from ASDA with 12 tins of sardines in tomato sauce and 4 tins of pilchards in tomato sauce, Salt content 1.5g, is that alot?

Otherwise theyre going in the bin and its back to the supermarket lol

Oh, waste not, want not - as Sarah said, rinse off the tomato sauce & use!! lol Asda is the best for offers on this sort of stuff ATM, I found, you can get the tinned fish in springwater or sunflower oil, that's fine, the oil will do the coat good, too. If you want to try raw food, like as been suggested, I buy fresh chicken wings & freeze them in pairs, then every now & again, mine get a kibble meal of a morning & 2 raw, defrosted chicken wings for tea (though the crunching does make me cringe still, lol!), but it's all down to what you prefer your dogs to eat .... let us know if you get the doggy approval for these ideas!!