Windows 8

Removed #5

Just a matter of curiosity, how many people here have had any experience with Win 8? I've followed the development releases as they've come out and haven't been impressed. Maybe if I had a tablet it'd be a different matter but since my monitor is not a touch screen it comes across as more of a pain than it's worth.

Question for the technically oriented, I've installed all the pre-pre-releases in a VM without a problem. Downloaded the release candidate and for over an hour all I've seen is this nice little blue window setting in the VM display - it can't seriously take that long to load the new version - can it?? (( an hour clock time / almost 30 minutes CPU time )) anyone have to do anything unusual to mount it in a VM???

Just a matter of curiosity, how many people here have had any experience with Win 8? I've followed the development releases as they've come out and haven't been impressed. Maybe if I had a tablet it'd be a different matter but since my monitor is not a touch screen it comes across as more of a pain than it's worth.

Question for the technically oriented, I've installed all the pre-pre-releases in a VM without a problem. Downloaded the release candidate and for over an hour all I've seen is this nice little blue window setting in the VM display - it can't seriously take that long to load the new version - can it?? (( an hour clock time / almost 30 minutes CPU time )) anyone have to do anything unusual to mount it in a VM???

Wouldnt say I dont like it, but I would swap it for windows millenium if I had it.

Wouldnt say I dont like it, but I would swap it for windows millenium if I had it.

:doglaugh: I wouldn't say that it's that bad ... but I'm not even taking them up on the upgrade offer. Thought I might since the price is good ( $39 ) but I wanted to make sure I could do away with the "Metro" design first. I'm told that it is faster and more responsive than Win 7 and I still haven't found a Linux that I really feel comfortable with.

Ew. Windows 8 - Get it away, get it away! (And I thought 7 was bad!)

Give me my XP anyday!

And, FYI, an operating system like XP takes around 30-1 hour minutes to fully install (depending on your hard drive speed, etc)...so a more 'advanced' one like 8 would probably take longer than that.

Ew. Windows 8 - Get it away, get it away! (And I thought 7 was bad!)

Give me my XP anyday!

And, FYI, an operating system like XP takes around 30-1 hour minutes to fully install (depending on your hard drive speed, etc)...so a more 'advanced' one like 8 would probably take longer than that.

See windows 7 in my opinion is the best OS they have ever produced.

See windows 7 in my opinion is the best OS they have ever produced.

and I have to agree with that. My tower has win 7 x 64 pro on it; my laptop and my GF's old machine both have XP. The laptop is a TurionX64 but just doesn't have power to do a decent job with Win 7 ( also needs more RAM ), My GF's machine is 64 bit architecture that I use for testing but again, it needs more RAM to handle Win 7 with any kind of grace.

If - very BIG if - Win 8 is faster, more responsive and I can get to a real desktop rather than "Metro" then I'd be tempted to put it on her machine just to have the test bed. But what I'd really rather find is a good version of Linux ... and I do *NOT* like Ubuntu ( or, my preference, KUbuntu )