Pet Top: Water on the go ...

Cathy

Well, after Dakota and I had to stop during his 5K and seek out water (the race was supposed to have it at the halfway point but didn't), I started looking for some portable water options that are easy to take running. Normally when we hike, I have a backback and a folding bowl for him, but that's not really practical when running races.

After doing a web search and finding all sorts of different nifty bottles (some even had little slide-out bowls that fill), I settled on the Pet Top, which is just a little plastic roller ball that turns ANY people water bottle into a dog sippy cup (sorta like a large-scale hampster cage waterer). I just used it during a 5K on Saturday and LOVED it. I have a fanny back that I can run in that has room to hold keys, poo bags, and whatnot and has two water bottle holsters -- one for me and one for Dakota. Whenever he got thirsty, all I had to do was slip his bottle out and hold it upside down, and he happily slurped away (yeah, we stopped while he did this, but it's a lot quicker than digging out a bowl and filling it, and there's no water wasted. Lots of people with dogs eyed us with envy and asked where I got it.

So, while I at first felt pretty silly for paying about $7 plus shipping for a silly piece of plastic, I am completely sold and highly recommend it -- I guess I'll get my money's worth out of it as long as I don't lose it:

http://www.pettop.com/cgi-bin/pettop.pl

I don't have any experience with hamster bottles but I would think they are kinda small -- this thing I got lets out husky-sized quantities of water. Maybe I can get vid of Dakota demonstrating, it's kinda cute -- you can actually see the water level in the bottle going down as he licks away at the ball. He seems to think it's fun.

• 1 month later...