3 month old puppy feeding/weight

Jay

I've had Yukon for a little over a month now, and he is my 2nd husky. Right now he weighs 17lbs. All I have to compare the puppy to is Nikko, and I know that each dog is different but neverless I am wondering if I am feeding him the correct amount.

When Nikko was this age he was up to 25lbs and gained an average of 5-7lbs a week. Yukon however has only gained 7lbs over the last month. I currently feed him 2 cups of food per day (2/3 cup at 6am, noon and 6pm). I had him on Wellness puppy mix but I have switched him over to TOTW high prairie puppy formula. He also gets dried chicken liver treats and boiled chicken.

At every meal time Yukon acts like I never feed him. He becomes VERY hyper and lunges at the food bowl and gulps it down within about 30 seconds. Sometimes he even seems to choke on it, and he will start whining for a second, then go back to eating his food (he does not do this every time). If I try to remove the bowl or hold him back he gets very squirmy and starts crying.

He has also had runny poo for most of the time I have had him. We have been to the vet and got antibiotics, tried canned pumpkin, and even got some over the counter anti-diarreah liquid from PetSmart. Sometimes his poo is on the normal site, but most of the time it is either very mushy, kind of between pudding-like and the normal poo's

I had the same issue with Nikko, and it was trial and error with the amount of food I gave him, and what treats I was giving him.

So am I feeding him enough? Looking at him he looks like he is healthy and he is active and a normal puppy. I don't want to overfeed him and make his poo worse, but I don't want to starve him either!

because you say he has runny poop im inclined to say your feeding too much as thats the most common cause of a pup having runny poop id say his weight is fine he weighs more than my girl at that age lol.

you could try giving him some chicken wings as the bone /calcium content in them will firm up his poop also you can get an anti gulp bowl which will help him eat his kibble slower

here the link for those

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trixie-slow-feed-anti-gulp-dog-puppy-food-bowl-Helps-prevent-bloat-/170771490888?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item27c2c62848

Maybe I will cut his food down just a bit and see if that helps. I thought about the gulp bowl, but saw mixed reviews. I had to buy a different bowl that he can't pick up because he would always pick his bowl up and spill his food.

the bowl worked wonders for my girl milli but i guess every dogs different what works for one doesnt work for another we also used to but a each meal in a kong wobbler to make her interested in it also means they cant wolf down there food x

puppies should be fed their daily intake in 4 meals a day up to 6 mo, then 3 up to a year, and then 2 as an adult if they are on kibble. Raw meals are fed differently.

yes with raw we do 4 meals until 12 weeks the 3 meals until about 6 months then go to 2 meals xx

4 times a day? Wow! I never fed Nikko that many times. He was on 3 times a day until he was about 6 months old, then went to twice a day. I was originally planning on going down to once a day but read where it is better to always keep them at 2 times a day because it is healthier and better for digestion. Now, for amounts, is 2 cups per day of TOTW for Yukon too much?

4 times a day? Wow! I never fed Nikko that many times. He was on 3 times a day until he was about 6 months old, then went to twice a day. I was originally planning on going down to once a day but read where it is better to always keep them at 2 times a day because it is healthier and better for digestion. Now, for amounts, is 2 cups per day of TOTW for Yukon too much?

i wouldnt really know i have to idea what weight a cup is because im a raw feeder i work with grams lol sorry xx

I feed TOTW (adult) to my kennel and most of my average sized Siberians are on 2-2 1/4 cup per day. Denali gets a bit more since he's still maturing and developing. The girls are eating TOTW (puppy) 3 times a day now at 4 months old, they were on 4 feedings per day up until recently with much success.

What is weird is when I first got Yukon he was free-feeding with the breeder, and she suggested that we let them self feed. I never did this with Nikko so I was not going to start now.

When I first got him he would never eat when I put the food down. He would want to play, and I would have to put treats or chicken in his food, or put him in a room to keep him focused to eat. For the last 2 weeks when I put the food down he runs to the bowl and scarfs it down within 30 seconds. If I try to hold him back from the food he will start crying and squirming to get to it. If you try to pull his head out of the bowl he acts like it’s going to be his last meal!

I fed panda 3 meals per day 1/2 cup each meal because if i fed him anymore he'd have the runs, up until 6 months i switched to 2 cups a day split to 2 meals. If during the middle of the day between his meals still seems hungry you could give him some cooked chicken breast.

Panda used to eat very fast!!! so i got him those anti-gulp bowls up until about 5 1/2 months or so. He eats a lot slower now.

Well I switched to feeding him 1/2 cup at 6am, noon and 6pm. I also started feeding him from a treat dispenser/puzzle that I bought a long time ago. It has about a dozen small compartments in it that I put his food. He still goes crazy after it, but at least he is not inhaling it! Since then he has had normal poos! YAY!