crate training tips??

kiras crate came yesterday (massive!!) and have started getting her used to it, we're feeding her in there and putting her in there every now and then shutting the door for a few minutes untill she starts looking like she wants to come out. has anyone got any tips on training, never done this before :confused: and how long till she can sleep in there do you reckon??

Well I don't have much experience with the exception of Tala lol I just gave her some treats when she went in there on her own accord for the first few days. I would also lock her in there at varied times during the day for a short while - if she acted up (protest howling lol) I would just ignore her until she was calm (really hard) and then let her out and rewarded her with either a fuss or a treat. I actually locked her in there for a night the first night we had her and have done since. At first she would howl for a bit but would then settle down, after a few nights with a bit of howling after she was put in she accepted it.

With in a week she knew it was hers - I never went into it if I wanted her - she would have to come to me therefore it was her sole space, now she uses it all the time which is brilliant! :D

I did however put a towl over the top of it (my kitchen is quite bright during the day) which has helped as she takes herself off to it when she wants quiet time or to rest - I don't know whether it is because it is more den like but she used a lot more with the towel on top.

During the first couple of weeks I was crate training her I did make sure that I not only put her in the crate when I went out but when I was pottering about as well - I did this so she did not associate being crated with me going out/not being there. Also be consistant lol If she howls, barks or makes a real fuss (Tala used to throw herself at the gate, stick her paws through etc. ) I gave her no attention e.g. no eye contact, not letting her out and not speaking to her! If you don't be consistant with it then she will pick up on how to get out and how to get attention - that one time you let her out because she's too loud or you just can't bare seeing her like that could be the start of longer and harder protests lol (My mum made this mistake...)

Hope this helps. :D

The biggest thing, which I'm sure you already know is never to use the crate as a punishment or in any negative way. You'll defeat your training and lose your pups trust.

Here's a couple of links to look over - I found them helpful.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html#

thanks guys added to reps, yea i put her in there about 30 mins ago with a nice meaty bone and shut the door while i done the dishes, she laid down and muched for a while :D shes got 2 black sheets over the top so its dark inside and she seems to like that. and last night i put her in there before bed but left the door open, bacause i used to put her on her bed before the crate was there, im hoping that this way she'll associate this with a place to rest and sleep

To be honest...if you want her to sleep in there then just make it a calm and welcoming place for her. I never had to wait long to crate a puppy for the night, so I didnt. It may take a couple of days for her to fully get used to being in her crate at night though so be ready for her to fuss a bit about it. Chewy was upset with me about it at first so I gave him a blanket to lay on in the crate and put a sheet over it so that he wouldnt think that it was time to wake up if someone got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. After that he just relaxed when I put him in there and he hasnt had any issues since then.

:)

its big enough for her to lay down and stretch out comfortably, no problems so far with mess in there, she was in there all last night, out at 7, back in at 1, out at 5 then back in at 12 tonight, AND ALL IS QUIET!! :D lol she got a run before bed tho so is all worn out ;)