husky behaviour

kodahwolf

hi

we have a 4 month old male siberian husky absolutely beautiful but i am worried about some of his habits

hopefully someone can help.

we live in adelaide sth aust/australia the weather is in the low teens but kodah finds the weather very warm already and is always lying on shower floor is this normal we are worried about summer as it gets very hot here thinking of getting a small pool for him.

also we had a blue heeler who sadly died at 14yrs of age 3 weeks ago since then we have found kodah is very fussy about the food he eats. give him chicken necks, dry food, raw meat, dog treats and he does eat but only picks at his food at any time his weight is about 14kilos should we be worried about this eating habit.

can anyone suggest a food he may enjoy eating that we can try.

also trying to add photos having trouble

hope can help

chris

Hi, Chris, welcome to the pack :wave:

Definitely get a small pool for him to cool off in, also a sand pit as he can dig down to the cooler sand & cool off in that in the shade. Pups will tend to sleep a fair bit. How is he when he's up & about? Does he seem lethargic?

Huskies are known for being fussy eaters, not all of them, but I have found alternating the food works well. Myshka is & always has been a fussy eater, give her the same kibble more than 3 times, she turns her nose up! But I mix it with tuna or sardines or mackerel in sunflower oil (not brine or tomato sauce as this is too salty for huskies) & the bowl gets emptied! Diesel on the other hand, eats most food :rolleyes: that's why he's a big lad!! ;)

As for your pictures, they might be too big for the site - try this thread http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2734&highlight=uploading+photos it talks you through how to load pics.

More husky mad people will be along soon to add their knowledge to your questions, I hope what I've put helps you a little ... :)

Val, xx

Great advice Val, added to rep.

Hi Chris, welcome to the pack :) sorry to hear about your loss, feel free to add a post in Rainbow bridge it you like :)

They can be very fussy at times lol it's not uncommon for them to act like this. Try leaving the food down for 10 - 15 mins, if he's not eaten it by then remove it and don't give any treats until his next meal time. This way he will learn that it's eat then or not at all - they soon pick up on this lol

thankyou for your all for your advice will definately get a small pool for him and look into the getting a sand pit better than holes in yard lol

will try removing his food bowl if not eaten in that time period and see how he goes.

the eating could also be, that he did eat with his mate blue but has got fussy since.

have uploaded photos of both dogs. it is late here in australia will check tomorrow have a good day.

chris:D

kodah biting

hi

meant to ask the other day kadah has a habit of nipping back of legs, your bottom or anywhere he can reach. the nips do not hurt he does it continuously when he wants to eat ( even if he doesnt eat) i put food out. he stops. this can go on for a fair while. is this just playing.

sometimes it is funny he will go outside and as soon as you turn your back nip.

i do not enjoy this nipping time i find it hard to stop him i gently get him in sitting or laying position

and say no but as soon as you let go or move he starts again.

please how do we stop this i did read a thread about a husky (blue) and the answer was to yelp. do you mean do a bark not sure on this one.

please help have a good day everyone

chris

if he nipped another dog he'd get yelped at - or an OH ! If you feel silly yelping - try NO, Hold your had palm out (as though stopping traffic) and back, if he jumps up at you bring your knee up to your chest - not AT him mind but this means if he jumps up at you when you've said NO he can't get at you. It won't happen overnight but keep up with ignoring the bad behaviour such as this and when he does listen to you give praise :)

Hi there,

I also have a very picky eater. I have found that chewy will not eat his food without egg and cheese in it, and that he is only picking at it since my husband left for iraq. I just add a bit of turkey to it and he hogs it down for me. Turkey has always been his favorite, so try that too if you can.

Also for the jumping/nipping...if he is within a couple of feet and you know hes going to jump up and nip try this exercise. First say NO, then...

Turn your side to him, fold your arms to your chest, look away from him completely and ignore him until he either stands quietly, sits down or walks away. Then when he does one of those positive things you praise and reward. Huskies do not like it if they think you are mad at them and ignoring them they will respond to your body language in a way that says "ok I will be good now" ....LOL

It seems to me that if he is refusing to stop that touching him during correction is a bad idea so...hmmm!

14kg does not sound a bad weight for a 4 month old. Maybe try offering him a little less food at each feed as could be hes getting too much.

15 minute rule here too. Eat it or loose it and picked up after that and they wait till next feed. He'll not delibarately starve himself :grinning-smiley-003.

Nipping: firm 'NO!' then ignore till he calms down and lots of praise when he gets it right :cool:

My bad Im so tired I forgot something LOL.

One other thing is that he has to learn that he cant clobber you to get patts and attention.

For the next 2 to 3 weeks, everytime he approaches you for attention or when you approach him to pat, feed or play...he must sit or lay down before you do anything with him. This teaches him that he needs to earn the attention he wants so you wont get clobbered every single time he wants something. If it is difficult to do this with him because he maybe isnt good at sit or lay down yet...use his leash and do it that way practicing for 2 to 3 short (10 minute or less) sessions a day. It may take a couple of weeks but when he gets it you will be glad you took the time to show him how you want to be approached.

The major tip to this for some pups is to catch them just before their moth touches you and make a LOUD YIIIIIPPPEE!

Chewy used to lick and nip at my daughter's fingers the first week he was here and when the word NO and the YIPE didnt work I caught him in mid act and did the LOUD "hey dont touch my baby" Bark at him....he has never nipped anyone since then.

biting

thanks everyone for the helpful answers to my question about kodah and his nipping

have tried most of the suggestions given but not yippppeeee lol will give that a go sometimes

the nipping goes of for a fair while. and when he does stop he gets a lot of praise, sometimes

this works but works best like now when he is asleep what a good puppy.

i thankyou and kodah thanks you::grinning-smiley-003