Walking with a backpack on

skysky69

if you'v ever watched dog whisperer he often puts back packs on dogs, especially working dogs, as it gives them a 'purpose' and makes them generally more 'balanced' apparently, because a working dog needs a purpose. and yea it will tire them out quicker, but you have to fill the pac while the dog is wearing it and standing so they are comfortable with the weight, then as it gets used to it over time you can start adding a bit more. bottles of water are good for weight, and for when your dog gets thirsty :)

We have a pack we use with Zoya. Fill two water bottles, put one on each side of the pack, and away we go. Until we started using the pack, Zoya would not go very far on a walk before putting on the brakes. We put the pack on, and she will walk for several miles. This breed just plain loves to be doing something. There's a group of Huskies in Canada that are used to pack cameras and other equipment up into the maountains. They (the Huskies) love it from what I understand.

Pack Leader: I used a back pack on Lana every since she was 5months and just continued to had weight as she got older. I use on her to give her a better work out and like i seen in a post above to give them purpose. Though i would like to say to ensure that we assist with their natural instinct to pull and run. I do not use it every walk but every other walk.

Lana: ...and my pack leader still walks too slow.

Pack Leader: Almost forgot. If you are training your husky not to be a certain distance of you when the two of you are walking then this is another training you might have to train. When using back pack i will suggest that you allow your dog to be ahead of you with some distance because we are encouraging them to use their natural instincts...to pull.

Our dog will still be on a leash but this time would be ok to be ahead some, but at the same time must obey when we call for them to back. This took me about two months to get down. It call for persistence and everyday training. Lana now knows when she is not on back pack she doesn't go head length ahead of me until i say its ok. When she is on her pack back i allow her to let her instance to drive her. This means for me to keep up with her but when i call Lana comes back. Once again she is on a leash at all times. Lana is very good when it comes to pack back or no back pack. Once again this was not easy for me and took some time several failed tries, many corrections , encouragement, rewards, praise, and persistence. Good Luck