i seem to have a husky on a spring!!

Sid_Wolf

everytime kira sees another dog on a walk she goes up on her back legs and hops towards it (cause im holding her back) and then if the owner doesnt desperately keep their dog away and she gets to meet them, she bounces around all over the other dog!! will she calm down with age?? i keep holding her and offering her bum to the other dog to sniff and she calms down for a bit but then starts back up again... its a shame because she seems aggressive and people dont want their dogs to meet her but shes really fine, just playful...

Kodi does that too, but he does it with people!!

If another dog comes up he either bounces all over or sits down and watches (depends on breed and size), but every person that walks past, he has to try and jump up. People always think he's a vicious dog cus he jumps up, and it takes ages to persuade people he won't hurt them!!

I'm still in the process of training him not to jump.

Persevere hun, let me know how you get on x

If she walks in front of you, then you're out of luck with this. She will continue to do that because you dont have control when they are in front of you.

so first thing to do is make her walk next to you. Once you do this, you can start to correct the behavior before she escalates.

Right now she is meeting these dogs in an extremely excited and uncontrolled state. If you keep her under control all the way up to the meeting, she will be much calmer.

If she's walking next to you, when you see another dog, you can immediatly snap her out of it, by reaching back with your oposite foot and bumping her. Like a little dance move. Your leg opposite the side she is walking on. Reach around back and bump her with your foot. This will "snap her out of it". Getting her focus off the dog and onto you.

You may have to keep doing it consistenly the first few times over and over to keep her from fixating.

If her ears are foward, her chest is out and her tail is up, she's already gone too far. you have to correct her before she even gets that far.

She has a lot of anxiety when she sees other dogs. Doesnt sound like aggression at all. Just anxiety. And anxiety is only cured over time and lots of calm/possitive interaction with other dogs.

She needs to meat as many dogs as possible. EVERY DAY. As often as you see them. Even fixing up play dates and meetups with people who live by you that have dogs.

You have your work cut out for you.

oh shes fine with people, probably because she was taken into town a lot from a young age, she just sits there and people come and fuss over her, once we were waiting for my friends outside mcdonalds and a boy about 3-4 came out, ran over and hugged her! the mum nearly died with fright! but i assured her it was fine and she was quite happy after that lol

oh shes not anxious, just very excitable lol, and i got her a half check today as she can slip out of a flat collar and shes a delight to walk now, shes by my side all the time. i'v seen ceaser do the tap with the foot thing but i think she'd pull me over if i tried it :confused:

Kodi has a half check. He doesn't pull as much, but doesn't walk next to me either. Going to get a shorter lead to walk him on so he has to walk next to me and only put him on the extendable when he can run. Even my fixed lead is about 4 foot, so going to get a shorter one to try and teach him to walk with me x