what is the best thing to feed my new 3 month old pup

Hello, everyone i have a husky 3 month old and i feed it yoghurt , oil and protein based biscuits from the breeder and bread, i gave it some cooked chicked and it liked that, and tuna ive had him 3 days and he can already sit and is paper trained , iam amazed by his quick learning ability and to know how people feel my uncle came in and he's a nervous person so he was unsure and barked abit although it was because my uncle was nervous he knows how everyone feels, i run him up and down the garden and loves to pull on things, havent really taken him out for a walk because he needs his injections,

any ideas for the best thing to feed him at this stage, any responses would be much appreciated.

Well first off, WELCOME! This site is great. Please post some pics for all to see.

I would look for a high quality "puppy" food, that has three meat protien sources at the very top of its ingredient list. Avoid puppy foods with grains like wheat and corn. I see you are in Leeds, so that must be th UK. Since I'm in the US, I'm not familiar with what foods are available in your area. It is critical that your puppy get the proper feeding. This is a very important stage of his growth. What you are feeding him right now, may not be providing important elements for his growth. Keep in mind, his bones are developing now, and he needs to get the proper nutrients, to avoid having problems later in life. The same is true for his eyes, his liver, hid kidneys, the list goes on.

I would stop feeding him bread. It offers no real nutrition, and is high in wheat content. Yogurt is good, but not as a basis for feeding your puppy. Same with Tuna and chicken. The oil and protien biscuits? I don't know what they are. Could they be treats?

This board is very fortunate to have some very knowledgeable members when it comes to feeding. So be patient, and I'm sure you'll get some very good advice on what would be best for feeding your puppy. I'm so glad you found this site and asked your question. It shows you care about providing your new pack member the best care possible.

Hi welcome to the forum

What was the breeder feeding? that is normally the best way to start... also remember to introduce any changes gradually over several days.

Some members on here feed raw, some kibble, some a mixture of both, At the moment I feed my puppies Wainwrights which isn't too bad ..try to avoid things with high additive content

I am sure you will have lot's of suggestions soon

Hiya, welcome to the forum!!! What did the breeder have him on? It is advised for the 1st 2weeks you stick to what the breeder had him on as it may cuase an upset tummy. You will need a high quality puppy food rich in meat, protein and calcium. My 2 are on James Wellbeloved:

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog_food.aspx

And Nature Diet:

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Naturediet/c233_234_837/category.html?gclid=COLxw_SFxpwCFUxs4wodVBnuKA

My two love the lamb and rice, duck and rice and white fish and rice. I know it says at 6 months you can switch from puppy to junoir but thats mainly for smaller breeds, your sibe will need to be fed puppy food until 6 months and then a mixture of puppy and adult food until he is 2 yrs. Your puppy wont be done growing until he is 2, being a medium breed he will still need the calcium the puppy food offers for growth. James Wellbeloved is great and sensitive on the tummy, it tastes great >> my 2 have been switched around on food but they have always loved the James W. The Nature diet has 60% meat min and its way better than mixing in a can of pedigree...it has veg, kelp, flax, and they have a huge range.

I feed 2 times a day, 1 kibble only meal, one kibble and Nature Diet portion. I know he may love cooked chicken but for now i would stick to kibble, when i got my puppy i fed her cooked meals and now she is soo fussy, its better to do it the other way round...feed kibble and then cook as a treat not too often.

my boy is on wainwrights large breed puppy food - tho it is advisable 2 keep them on the food the breeder had them on for a while and introduce any changes in diet slowly and also bit by bit so take 1 part old food away add 1 part new, take 2 parts old away add 2 parts new ect till they r on the new food - also you will no if the food doesnt agree with ur pup as it will go straight thru him and u will unfortunately have a puppy who has the runs

also welcome to the site cnt w8 2 c sum pics ov ur pup :)

Hey ya Jamie, :wave:

Welcome to the site!!! I would defo agree with all the above and that maybe you could start thinking of switching your pup slowly over to a rich high quality puppy food with meat, protein and calcium. (Great answer ice & cription added to Rep!!)

Really look forward to chatting to you and would love to see some pics :D

Hi Jamie, welcome to the pack :D

I agree with all that's been posted i feed my boys on Burns high energy lamb and alternate with raw - would stick with the odd chicken wing (raw) and a good high protein Kibble.

Look forward to seeing you around and getting to know you and you sibe :)

Oh you're in Leeds - not too far from us, we're in Rochdale and we've got a few other members near you from Leeds and Sheffield :)

We're meetin on 20th Sept at Heaton Park in Manchester - having a "northern" meet up and also going camping near cannock chase from 16th -19th October - there's quite a few of us going and lots of sibes :D Hope you can come - gonna be great!

The boy's name Oscar \o-scar, os-car\ is pronounced OS-ker. It is of Old English origin, and its meaning is "spear of the gods". Also possibly from the Gaelic phrase "os cara", meaning "friend of the deer".

When we saw his little face we knew he was an oscar, but looked like snoopy from charlie brown Snoopy.jpg

We have a cat - Bella, she's the boss in this house (next to me of course lol) my boys have learnt (after a few scratches) to stay away and sniff from a distance lol

If you have a cat when they're pups they're a lot more amenable I think but remember Sibes are prey driven and never leave Oscar alone in a room with any animal :)

When we got him, we knew there was something about his little face. We had the choice of another pup, how was brown with a black mark down his spine. we knew oscar was more open and playful. we first chose the brown one but oscar grew on us and we chose oscar.oscar is not kc registered we have seen his mum and dad and the breeder told us that mum and dad are kc and he will send us a copy of the papers, he wrote us a reciept to be sure he does, he has not sent them as yet.