Frustration

I apologize in advance because this is going to be a huge rant.

Finn is driving me bonkers lately. She shreds everything she can get her paws on, suddenly has decided that crapping on my apartment patio is okay. She will go and sit on the patio and ignore me for hours and hours and hours, and every time I reach towards her she RUNS.

I've never hit her, although I do scold her when she's bad, if I catch her touching whatever she's just destroyed.

She's impossible to walk because she's pulling all the time and I've been swamped so she hasn't been getting enough exercise.

All of this goes on and then she's super cuddly at night and wants to basically be on top of me but at that point I'm so frustrated and upset with her.

I know that this is all typical "puppy" stuff but I feel like we've gone so far backwards in the past two weeks and I'm sitting here nearly in tears because she has just shredded another book that I just bought, just finished reading and was supposed to lend to a friend. I can't even bring library books home because I can't take the risk of her shredding them. I can put them on the table, on my nightstand, under my pillow, whatever and she'll steal and shred them.

I don't even know where to start. Gah! :cussing::banghead:

awww Kate.....HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like frustration / boredom to be honest - as you say, you're not giving her enough exercise - are you able to swap your routine around so that you can take her out a little more, or give her boredom busting activities in the house?

Can you crate her when you're not in - huskies are notorious for destroying things, and they don't see the crate as a punishment, it's like a safe place for them :)

Can you put your books higher up so she can't reach them?

Does she have a kong?

With regards to her ignoring you - could be attention seeking, this will ease if she gets more walks.

You will work things through, don't give up.

One thing about her ignoring you - if she doesn't come to you first time when you call her, go over to her and make her - tug on her collar for example, come to you, that way she learns that ignoring you is not an option

She's five months old so she is going through a selective deafness phase where she is becoming bigger, stronger and more likely to test the boundaries.

I agree with Sarah when she says she sounds bored. Siberians are a very active dog and they need regular exercise - it's what they are bred for. Apart from the fact she is not getting much physical exercise, how much mental exercise is she getting? Do you do any training with her?

Generally we aim for 1 hour of walking per day, and 15 - 20 minutes of training. She has lots of toys and chews available to her. It seems to be whatever the last thing I touched before I start working (I work from home) or things that she sees me touch before I leave when I'm going out.

I know that the hour of walking is a lot for her age, but I was trying the 5 min / month of age, but it just wasn't enough. I just did an hour with her and she came in and ran laps around the couch for 25 minutes, and now is wrestling around the floor with her rope.

She's just so wound up!

When Kimba was little and i took him on his "shorter" walks, he wasn't tired out and used to bounce about the back garden for a while or do laps around the front room into the kitchen and back again lol

She will still be hyped up form her walk and full of beans try doing some mental stimulation with her once you get back home and give her a chew or something to settle her back down again.

With the toys, try leaving one or two down and rotate them every so often, that way she won't get bored of them as easy ;)

Generally we aim for 1 hour of walking per day, and 15 - 20 minutes of training. She has lots of toys and chews available to her. It seems to be whatever the last thing I touched before I start working (I work from home) or things that she sees me touch before I leave when I'm going out.

I know that the hour of walking is a lot for her age, but I was trying the 5 min / month of age, but it just wasn't enough. I just did an hour with her and she came in and ran laps around the couch for 25 minutes, and now is wrestling around the floor with her rope.

She's just so wound up!

When you do the 15-20 minutes of training what does that generally involve doing? Do you break it down into 3 or 4 five minute sessions or do you do it all in one go?

As for stealing your things, the most effective method I can suggest is to put them in a room with the door closed and keep them out of her reach :P

Maybe you could restrict her access in the house? I mean, allow her to stay alone only in a puppy proof place and in all the other rooms, only when you are there?

You should definitely put your stuff out of her reach, that will be the simplest way to avoid destruction.

You can also put a lead on her in the house. This way, when she runs away, you'll be able to simply put your foot on the leash and stop her, because she probably think this is a game.

I don't know what else to tell you, but don't despair. All will soon be solved!

She needs better training i think, the sort of training that is advance like in classes. To be honest training has nothing to do with making your dog "good" or even to sit or stay. Training is all about bonding with your dog, building a relationship of respect and trust and as a result your dog will follow your commands.

Finn sounds like a mixture of Alaska and Balto, at about 5 months Alaska became very aloof and independant, we would stroke her and mid-way she would slink off....when we called her she just looked at us and soemtimes we had to call her 5 times >>> Shes gotton more affectionate but when i think about it Alaska was always a playful puppy...not a soppy one.

Balto...what can i say loool, he has toys, chews, rawhides, but our curtains look a lot more appealing!!! SO we buy a bitter anti-chew spray from our pet shop, if Finn likes the taste (which can happen) use hot pepper suace!!! However Balto gets bored easily whereas Alaska is happy to stare out of our upstairs window....so we leave them both with stuffed hooves and kongs >> a treat based chew is always best.

Try and give Finn walks earlier, in the morning before 1pm, think about it: Shes had about 10 hours of sleep and when she wakes up shes bound to be buzzing with energy.

Balto still tries it on...running when hes called, i just stand still, point to where i am and say "COME" >> Finn must take you seriously, if she doesn't come you go get her and say "NO" >> and then she has to stay in until you say so. She has entered her teenage months so this is very normal for all dogs..not just sibes.

The training i was referring to is puppy classes...i bet Finn would love to play with all those puppies? Well guess what!......she CANT!!! She has to sit there and do the exercises with you and follow your lead...its so simple, stringing together some tables and chairs so Finn can jump from obstacle to another........give it a go, your going to have to be creative in your training. But stick it out...double her training and tough love from you is what she needs, soon you will have a well adjusted, trained Siberian:D