Short tailed Husky

again, thats not the exact dog. I just have never seen it, and was wondering if it was normal to happen to some Huskies...

This dog was found and dropped off, so there is no history.

incase y'all didnt see my thread in the main chat, this is the actual Husky

post-11429-0-00887900-1395579384_thumb.j

post-6277-13586030081887_thumb.jpg

If it's like the dog's in the photo, it could very well be that he lost part of his tail some how - it can be a pretty common injury. For the dog in the photo it is likely because the hair doesn't grow out to a point - the squared off appearance of the tail is because no hair grows on the amputated end.

So you can tell by inspecting your dog's tail - part the hair to look at the very end. If there is hair growing over the entire thing, then he's just a weirdo with a short tail! :P But if you can see only bare skin on the entire top of his last tailbone then he likely had it lopped off - either via trauma or surgery (because of irreparable damage).

• 2 months later...

I once met a guy who had 9 rescues and he said that some of his had chewed their own tail off (not all off) due to boardem / unhappiness - not sure how true this is as Iv never heard it before or since!

Just an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This is what happened to our dog. He used to chew on the tip of his tail (probably out of boredom) when he was a puppy. We thought it was just a phase, which it was, but the damage seems to have been permanent. He is almost 7 and his tail is ridiculously short, probably 6-7 inches at best, not even a chance that it will ever curl.

Ghost chewed his tail out of boredom too, stopped him everytime from it though. Just had a few shorter hairs on his tail. Not like when my rabbit ate half my parrot's tail. :D

He's gorgeous, and I'm sure you'll have many people asking why his tail is short and not curly like it's known for huskies, the same way I get asked how come my husky is white.:rolleyes: