Zapper got his Working Dog Title! (pic heavy)

This is my friend's dog (she also is the breeder I got Denali from) Ziemabora's High Voltage at Kaniska "Zapper" who pulled #960 yesterday earning his working dog title and pulled #1020 today earning his first leg to his Working Dog Excellent title today. I took these pics and wanted to share another aspect of my photography-

post-11023-0-46886600-1392345301_thumb.j

post-6615-13586027379986_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027383234_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027386395_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027389517_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027392663_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027395759_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027398834_thumb.jpg

post-6615-135860274019_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027404973_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027409148_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027412296_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027415473_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027418864_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027421957_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027425034_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027457497_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027460741_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027463837_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586027466984_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the likes :) Zap did so well and he did have so much fun doing it, he truly was a blast to watch! I put Denali on the cart for the first time but he didn't pull, it was still too confusing to him the amount of resistance I think he'll get it though! He's a young one still :)

Amazing pictures! :eek:

Looks like he had a blast - but he was probably pooped at the end! How much weight was on there and how far did he pull it?

(If PETA members/activists saw these pictures, they'd probably be all like 'cruelty to animals!' even though its obvious Zapper is having fun!

Amazing photos .................... I had no idea there were competitions like that. He looks as if he is having a blast - must be hard work though :rolleyes:

He is gorgeous :heartbeat:

It is hard work but like you said you can see how much fun he's having. This started as a bragging right competition between mushers in Alaska way back in the day....now the sport is over run by pitbulls and mastiffs....but we're still out there holding true to the sports origin! I hope to train Denali to this as well :)

Amazing pictures! :eek:

Looks like he had a blast - but he was probably pooped at the end! How much weight was on there and how far did he pull it?

(If PETA members/activists saw these pictures, they'd probably be all like 'cruelty to animals!' even though its obvious Zapper is having fun!

Zapper pulled 1020lbs 16ft in under 60sec. The rules are the dog and cart must pass the finish line (16ft from start) in 60sec or less for it to count. And since PeTA disapproves of pet ownership in general they'd have plenty to protest about LOL!

I'd love to try Orion with this but there's no weight pull at all around here.

You might ask around, it's odd I've been living/working where I am for 6 years and didn't even know that weight pulls were being held literally across the street from one of our stations. It's fun just to watch the different styles of dogs doing what they do!

What a beautiful husky !!!!! love the pics ;)

Thank you Vlad!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get this - seems like a macho thing, like guys down the gym trying to out bench press each other. Some nice pictures though.

It was originally a way for mushers to compete and keep their dogs in condition in the off season. Today it is overrun by a bunch of muscle heads and their non-pet Pitbulls...but the original breed that started it, the Siberian Husky, still functions as a working dog of merit. Not everyone works their dogs, that's fine but there is an aspect to the breed that many don't know about or bother to touch.

It was originally a way for mushers to compete and keep their dogs in condition in the off season. Today it is overrun by a bunch of muscle heads and their non-pet Pitbulls...but the original breed that started it, the Siberian Husky, still functions as a working dog of merit. Not everyone works their dogs, that's fine but there is an aspect to the breed that many don't know about or bother to touch.

I've never seen it before these pictures and I can't say that it appeals to me. Working huskies by running them with rigs or scooters etc I'm all for and can see that the dogs themselves love doing it, but somehow seeing a dog straining away to slowly lug a huge weight seems weird to me. I can see that it would build it's strength but so would pulling less weight at a faster pace over a longer distance. Surely this is just about who's dog can pull the heaviest weight and as you said the 'bragging rights'. If the dog enjoys it then fair enough, but I would worry more about injury with such heavy loads. I am of course speaking out of ignorance as I've never done/seen it, but I just think it's a strange thing to want to do. They are amazingly strong dogs though aren't they? Gotta love 'em. And he is a stunner!

Zapper pulled 1020lbs 16ft in under 60sec. The rules are the dog and cart must pass the finish line (16ft from start) in 60sec or less for it to count. And since PeTA disapproves of pet ownership in general they'd have plenty to protest about LOL!

Seriously? 1020lbs? that's over 460kgs right? is it safe for em to pull that much? won't it break their back or damage their spinal structure in the future?

Love the pictures they are GREAT. He looks like a born puller He has alot in his blood from the looks of the pictures. Mind if ask, what kind of camera did you take those with CAUSE they are just so good?

Zap is a born puller, he has so much fun out there...and you can easily see what a blast he's having too :) I shot these with a Nikon D300s with a 70-200mm 2.7f lens

Seriously? 1020lbs? that's over 460kgs right? is it safe for em to pull that much? won't it break their back or damage their spinal structure in the future?

It is safe as long as you condition them properly. The top Siberian weight puller pulled far more than Zap just did (near 1800lbs if I recall). Its like when we go to the gym, you don't just go for the biggest heaviest weights in the gym and expect to lift them without injury, we start small and work up to our desired goal. These dogs were built for pulling and none of the dogs that the owner of this dog have any prolonging issues due to their weight pulling achievements. You have to be smart about it and know your dogs limits. If they look like they are straining too much, call it quits. It is supposed to be fun for them too after all. Also the harnesses don't put strain on the back, but rather distributes the weight through the large muscle groups. Zap uses his massive hind legs, chest, and digs in with his front legs