URGENTLY Required!

Hyshqa

I've no idea if anyone here will even be able to help me out in this respect but I thought it worth a try.

For my university dissertation I need to make a Barnes maze suitable for mice. I doubt anybody knows what that is!! It's this:

ENV-562%20Barnes%20Maze.bmp

Well that's the rat version anyway - the mouse one has more holes.

I can improvise eveything except the main component - the big circular surface with the holes around the edge. I will easily be able to make the stand and a hide box for under one of the holes, as well as adding the landmarks etc (not on this image but a requirement for the actual test), but for this I have NO idea. The measurements are very specific - 48" diameter for the whole thing, with 40 holes of 5cm diameters spaced 9 degrees apart.

I don't care if it's made of wood, plastic, metal, you name it - does anyone know of any product I could possibly use to improvise making this? Or know of anyone that does woodwork or is at least good with tools that could make it for me as a commission?

Well I'm going to speak to my uni about it - they've offer building degrees and such, we often see students building walls and other brickwork things outside but I'm going to question whether they have any woodwork stuff so I could commission a student to make it or something. However I do it, I need to do it quick so I thought I'd ask everywhere.

I've found somewhere that sells properly made ones for laboratories.....in China T_T

Could you make it from a sheet of perspex? (http://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/Acryllic_Disk_Circles)

I'm thinking that you could mark the circles using a sharpie pen, then use a small drill piece to drill just inside the outline of the circles all the way round. This should make it weak enough to push through and discard the inner circle piece. Sanding should smooth it out but cover the top and bottom surfaces with duct tape to prevent scratching them with the sand paper.

Could you make it from a sheet of perspex? (http://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/Acryllic_Disk_Circles)

I'm thinking that you could mark the circles using a sharpie pen, then use a small drill piece to drill just inside the outline of the circles all the way round. This should make it weak enough to push through and discard the inner circle piece. Sanding should smooth it out but cover the top and bottom surfaces with duct tape to prevent scratching them with the sand paper.

That's a good idea! None of the ones they offer are big enough but I'm sending them an email to see if I could get THEM to make it for me with the specific dimentions I need :P

Heeeeeeeeerrrpp-derrrrrrrrpppppppppp!!!!! :duh: I have a god damned soldering iron in my room!!!! Why did I not think of this before? :banghead: Buy a thin sheet of plastic and melt it into a circle/melt in the little circles myself!! :woohoo: