Please help me

Amey

Ok, please don't judge me. My dogs are well taken care of, but we are in having to stay with my aunt atm and I guess her dogs were full of fleas. My dogs didn't have fleas before I came here and I have given them flea baths, and my mom put some cheap flea drops she had on them. Kodi, (Pomeranian), must be very allergic to them or something, his whole back is totally covered in scabs because he will not quit chewing and scratching. I have been cleaning them and putting antibiotic ointment on them but it doesn't help when he's constantly chewing and scratching. I won't have the money to buy flea drops till the first. I'm going to assume I need worming medcine to. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything I could try that might be lying around my house. Please help me and my babies. Poor Valentime is scratching really bad to, but she hasn't made sores, shes just losing alot of her hair.

Vacume everywhere and throw the vacume bag out far away from where the dogs are. You can comb them get a nit comb and brush the evil bliters out and squash them because thats the only way you know the evil little turds won't go anywhere else. I had them in my old place the cats would bring them in (had 2 cats before I found out I was allergic). I haven't had them since I moved. When you get paid get some indorex spray the whole house (make sure the dogs arn't in there) you could also get some casper pills which make the fleas drop off but I surguest you do that outside!

Joy dish soap kills fleas. I found an abandoned kitten once infested with fleas. All I did at first was put a ring around her neck so they wouldn't go in her ears. You will still have to get flea bombs to completely get rid of them afterwards but this should help with the ones on the dog now. And its much cheaper than a flea bath if you have a smaller dog..

If you are really short of money, do they have any charity vets over there who could help?

I'm not really sure, I will check around.

Vacume everywhere and throw the vacume bag out far away from where the dogs are. You can comb them get a nit comb and brush the evil bliters out and squash them because thats the only way you know the evil little turds won't go anywhere else. I had them in my old place the cats would bring them in (had 2 cats before I found out I was allergic). I haven't had them since I moved. When you get paid get some indorex spray the whole house (make sure the dogs arn't in there) you could also get some casper pills which make the fleas drop off but I surguest you do that outside!

And thank you I will try that combing and vacuuming thing.

Joy dish soap kills fleas. I found an abandoned kitten once infested with fleas. All I did at first was put a ring around her neck so they wouldn't go in her ears. You will still have to get flea bombs to completely get rid of them afterwards but this should help with the ones on the dog now. And its much cheaper than a flea bath if you have a smaller dog..

I think I may have some joy dish soap in the pantry. I'll go check and try that.

You have to keep them soaped up for about 10 minutes so the fleas drown. I've fostered many kittens that came with fleas and it does the trick. As for the house, you can try Sevin Dust. I don't think it is that expensive and you can get it from stores like Wal-mart. Just spread some along the walls of the house.

You have to keep them soaped up for about 10 minutes so the fleas drown. I've fostered many kittens that came with fleas and it does the trick. As for the house, you can try Sevin Dust. I don't think it is that expensive and you can get it from stores like Wal-mart. Just spread some along the walls of the house.

Be very careful with dish soap though. My friend royally messed up his dogs skin doing this it dries it out extremely bad and literally strips every tiny oil from the dogs fur as that's what it's designed to do :( I would only do this once at most. Also cedar chips around the outside will keep the nasty things away cedar is a wonderful natural flea deterrent.

Hi Amey:up:, no one's here to judge, but I see that where you live that area has alot of fleas-I was in Fort LeJuene, and the sand fleas were outrageous! The south in particular is riddled with them-especially sandy soils. Here's what you do, get a shampoo that will not dry the dog out, doesn't even necessarily have to be a flea shampoo if you're strapped for cash, but just make sure its a kind that won't strip away the dogs oil on their coat which protects them and keeps their skin from drying out, then, lather the dog in the tub after thoroughly soaking them, and while you wait for 15-20 min with the suds really thick (it'll keep fleas from being able to get air) brush the dog with a flea comb, rinse, then apply conditioner which is pastier, wait another 10 minutes, and their will be no survivors on your dog. You still have to treat your house, the bedding and the dogs bedding area, too though! Let us know how it goes! Also, if you get flea powders or bombs, vacuum first, then powder or bomb-it stimulates the eggs to hatch, then they can be killed after vacuuming via the bombs-I got that hint from a pest control guy-the key is to keep vacuuming as the larvae have a two week cycle;)

Thanks so much everyone. I will do this tomorrow I hope it all works. Kodi is so bad about sleeping under the bed. lol and my boyfriend sleeps all day because he works third. This is going to be hectic, but as long as my babies will be bug free, I'll do anything! The fleas have started biting me since Valentime sleeps in the bed, idk if thats bad, but my legs are all red and itchy, its awful. :P

Don't worry! We all go through flea troubles! :) Yeah, three baby kittens I picked up off the side of the road were CRAWLING with fleas when I found them. I had to take them inside and wash them with Dawn dish washing soap. It really will kill the fleas dead as a door nail... but it probably would strip the natural oils in the coat. I was desperate to help the babies and a vet had recommended the use of Dawn for my sister-in-law who had been in a similar situation (just can't say no to poor abandoned babies!). I didn't have any kitten flea shampoo on hand at the time, or flea spray that was safe for cats. Just lather the babies up really good and check close to the skin while rinsing... you have to make sure they're all gone! If they're in the bath water, they're dead ;) I also had to spray the house with an Adam's spray for interior carpets and upholstery (from Wal-Mart) because I had to make sure they weren't in the house. I thought they were biting me and the hubby, but I could have just been paranoid.

Be very careful with dish soap though. My friend royally messed up his dogs skin doing this it dries it out extremely bad and literally strips every tiny oil from the dogs fur as that's what it's designed to do :( I would only do this once at most. Also cedar chips around the outside will keep the nasty things away cedar is a wonderful natural flea deterrent.

I completely agree with this! I keep cedar chips in my Cheza's outside dog house inside her enclosure and I have no trouble with fleas. She spends most of her time in there while outside, and I keep monthly drops on her as well. Not to mention some flea spray... for emergency use. I now also keep kitten flea spray and flea shampoo as well. You never know when it might be needed!

There is also a natural remedy for fleas. I have read that you can use essential oils like lavender and lemongrass. It also seems I have read that garlic and/or brewer's yeast is effective at helping them naturally repel the boogers? But I have not tried this myself and am unsure if this is true.

Every few years we go through a flea hassle, my husband doesn't start to get bit until they have taken over, I tend to to be the first to be eaten alive, but he won't believe me until they start in on him. We had gotten some "brilliant" advice once from someone about using salt, and did this in the house until the flea meds worked on the dogs to kill most of them.....but it backfired on us and we found there was a lot more moisture in the carpet than we thought and it brought it all to the surface and the whole house had fresh damp carpets.

:banghead:

I have heard that they don't like menthol smelling stuff either.

This last time we were given a pill for fleas from the vet rather than the stuff you put on their skin.

Some of the citrus oils can be effective against fleas, as I understand it, although I wasn't aware that lavender was, as well (cool!). I've also heard that garlic and brewer's yeast can be effective for some dogs, although not for all. My guys don't like the garlic tablets, but fortunately, I've never (yet!) had much trouble with fleas...

If the redness and itching don't improve once you've gotten rid of the nasty little bugs, you may need to take Kodi into the vet and get either antibiotics or steroids - or possibly both - to help get the poor little guy's skin to heal up...

I've read about that pill as well and am considering ordering offline (since I hear it's cheaper). That would be amazing to have an all-in-one like that. My family has just always used Heartguard for the heart worm pill and topical flea medicine. But I would love to try it. I just noticed what you posted about Kodi the pom. If you think Kodi is allergic, you can always give half a Benadryl tablet to help with the allergies if you wanted. My terrier-mix Burrford (who was my childhood best friend) had skin allergies and sometimes they would flare-up for no reason. Though, knowing more about pet ownership now... I bet it was something in his food... :( (wish I could go back and do that over again...) But our vet said that it would help his itching and prevent him from causing hot spots due to over-scratching. OH! And Aloe-Vera gel! You know the stuff you use for sunburns? If you have any of that left over from the summer you could always use that! It is all natural. Apparently with an added bonus...Here is a quote from an online site I found.

Aloe Vera for pet first aid

Aloe Vera, also called the medicine plant or the burn plant, has long been recognized for its ability to sooth damaged skin. It makes a good choice for pets because it provides temporary relief on contact for hot spots, bites, clipper burns, and many other skin irritations that our pets may occasionally experience. Aloe Vera is also non-toxic, so we needn't worry about our pets ingesting it if they lick their sores.

Which brings us to the second reason why aloe is a good choice: it has a bitter taste. Thus, an application of Aloe Vera may discourage your pet from licking at the irritated skin. Licking can slow healing, so any easy ways to discourage licking are welcome.

I've read about that pill as well and am considering ordering offline (since I hear it's cheaper). That would be amazing to have an all-in-one like that. My family has just always used Heartguard for the heart worm pill and topical flea medicine. But I would love to try it. I just noticed what you posted about Kodi the pom. If you think Kodi is allergic, you can always give half a Benadryl tablet to help with the allergies if you wanted. My terrier-mix Burrford (who was my childhood best friend) had skin allergies and sometimes they would flare-up for no reason. Though, knowing more about pet ownership now... I bet it was something in his food... :( (wish I could go back and do that over again...) But our vet said that it would help his itching and prevent him from causing hot spots due to over-scratching. OH! And Aloe-Vera gel! You know the stuff you use for sunburns? If you have any of that left over from the summer you could always use that! It is all natural. Apparently with an added bonus...Here is a quote from an online site I found.

Thank you, so much. Do you think it would burn when I put it on him?

I doubt it. It would probably cool it down because of the irritation. It may be startling to him since his skin would be hot, and the aloe would be 'cooling' to him. But it would help him heal and he would adjust to the coolness. It would probably seem soothing after a few moments :)

I actually have an actual aloe vera plant, a huge one as a matter of fact. Do you think that would work the same?