Alaskan Klee Kai?

Anyone have any personal experience?

I know they have good temperaments, dig and run like a husky.

Keaton really wants a small dog, and obviously I'm all into Huskies so we've decided we will probably be adding an AKK, either puppy or older adult to our pack between February and April.

Obviously I'm going to purchase from a very reputable breeder since they're a very new breed with some health issues, but has anyone actually ever met one? I haven't, just read about them and would love to know what they're like in person.

Thanks!

I met one at the PetSmart and honestly, it looked like a dwarf husky! She was really wirey and very hyper...lots of kisses, but somehow, didn't look right being so small. Why not just consider another female that is small? Jessy is tiny compared to the boys and weighs in at 37 lbs.

AKKs are not well established as a breed. There is a breeder about two miles from us. They charge $1500 per dog. Some are quite yappy. Some are not well proportioned. They do have a lot of health issues. The two that I have seen looked very odd. Temperament was not at all like a Husky. Not a fan of the "breed".

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

As with a lot of dogs its how they are raised but you have to keep in mind AKK are little dogs. They have little dog syndrome just like other little dogs. Their looks can deceive you easily into thinking they are husky like but they are not in my opinion. I have met 4 at our local dog parks and one of them I do not like at all. He reminds me of an out of control chihuahua. Now two of the dogs I know are well mannered and were well socialized from a young age but after talking to the owners I realized they are not a dog I would like to own. They are naturally skittish and weary of other strangers and dogs so very early socialization is crucial in breaking this habit (which I know you won't have problems with doing LOL) but some never break out of that shyness. From what I've seen they are reliable off lead when trained right and have excellent recall. Again nothing at all like a husky haha. A typical small breed dog with all the potential small breed behavioral problems but loving as any dog can be with the right love and dedication :)

Keaton doesn't want another Husky right now, that's completely out of the question. And it's way to hard to adopt a husky for us with our cat and he definitely isn't ready for another Husky puppy right now.

The AKK's that look funny are usually from a bad breeder. I've found some amazing breeders, and the dogs seem great. Guess we'll see..

Viggo and Tika's breeder recently purchased 4 Klee Kai (an adult male and three 5-6 month old females) and plans to breed them when the females are old enough obviously. I recently visited her farm and I found the dogs to be very, very loud and a bit hyper. I guess it depends on the dog though. The females seem out of proportion, but they are only 5-6 months old in the picture, so that could explain it. Her male is gorgeous.