Enjoy life, be healthy, get fit and have fun with your sibe

Thought as I have so much darn energy lately I would make a thread about keeping active with your sibes whilst having fun at the same time :)

Below I have gone through different ways you can have fun and keep fit and toned and enjoy an active lifestyle with your sibe :)

Running

We are all aware how much huskies LOVE to run! Many of us allow their sibes to run either by working them in the harness (or some of us are currently in the training days of working them) or others will have an outside run built for them to run about.

But not many of us will go for a run with our sibes. As a pack animal they like to run as a pack so as pack leaders surely we should run aswell. You dont have to wear all that rather revealing running gear all you need is some comfy clothes that you are not likely to trip over and something light on your feet (like trainers) with plenty of grip to the ground ;)!

Next time you go for a walk measure it out so you can do say a 5 minute run with them then walk for 5-10 mins then run again for 5 minutes, etc etc so it balances out and gives you a break in between to catch your breath again, lol

Or if you have a moment like me at the moment and feel ike you can run a marathon you can take them for a long run! Maybe a few miles and then walk them. If you do run for a long time, dont just stop and sit down, slow yourself gradually by going from running to a jog and then jog to a walk and then once you have slowed down to a walk for a few minutes then you can think about sitting down for a break.

Take plenty of water with you! Bring water for yourself and your sibe and maybe bring some small treats for your sibe when you have finished running. Make the run exciting by talking to the in an excited way along with their fave toy and this could also turn into a focus exercise to them :)

If your sibe is only young I wouldnt recommend long running but actually try to avoid running as to not over exercise them.

Before going for a run, make sure you have a good warm up first! Warm your muscles up before going straight into a run otherwise you could damage your muscle by pulling them!

Want great legs ladies? Running will certainly tone your legs up to give a great set of legs to get them guys bowing at your feet ;) lol

Dancing

Ok so it may not be easy to train your sibe to dance like these:

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

BUT! It is possible just see for yourself!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azl6EyQQV8Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azl6EyQQV8Y[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

and for some dogs, it comes natural:

[ame="

"]
[/ame]

Dogs may not be natural born Tango dancer but in a way they can shake off some really cool and funky moves ;)

Dancing is brilliant fun and also really good exercise. Have you seen choreographers, look how toned and fit they say busting all them moves! Obviously they have probably do alot of training to get a body like that but that doesnt mean no one else can get as good as they do!

Make yourself up a CD or put something together on your computer/laptop of all your fave tunes you like to dance too or put the T.V on and put your fave music channel on so you have a collection of songs that you enjoy to dance too. If you are embarrassed shut all your curtains and windows when you have the house to yourself (apart from your sibes ;)) if you have kids around im sure they wont tell know one and if they will send them out somewhere!

So know you have yourself in a private room, your sibe/s are looking at you as if to say "what's going on?" and then you need to get yourself going along with your sibe/s cause some excitemnet in the room, have some rewards with you (which ever is best for your sibe/s) so then you can start to teach them how to bust some moves ;)

Turn your music on just go with the flow, don't think about it! Keep talking to you sibe/s use their reward to guide them around and start busting moves :) get them weaving through your legs. giving you a high five, dancing around in circles, maybe even dancing on their hind legs, etc etc

Im sure once you all get going, you will both enjoy it and have great fun :) Dancing really excercises almost, if not all, your muscles in your body and where you will be having fun, you wont notice how much of a workout your giving yourself ;)

Again make sure you have plenty of water for both you and your sibe/s. If your feeling brave you could give it a try in your back garden too and show it off to your neighbours and if they look at you wierd just say "See how well my dog can dance!"

Also, give yourself a good warm up first aswell :) You dont want to be pulling any muscles, you want to tone them!

Where dancing works most, or all of, your muscles, keep it up and you will end up with a great body!

If you only have a young puppy, be careful with how much dancing you do with them as it can over work their muscles which are still developing and growing! Also try to avoid strenuous dancing with young puppies as again, you could damage their developing muscles.

Don't be suprised if your sibe just looks at you with "the look" when you first begin but with some excitable encouragement and their fave reward you should hopefully get a dancing sibe :)

If you do get dancing, we will want videos ;) I have literally just thought this one up so no vids from me yet, but when I get going will have to get jamie to take a video for you all :)

WARNING: I will take no responsibility for anyone getting stopped by strangers due to having a great body ;) lol

thats all I have so far apart from you usual:

walking the dog

run them in the harness

take them swimming

play chase

etc etc

if I think of other different methods to exercise your sibe/s I will add it on here :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget biking! As soon as our fosters learn heel, we teach them to run alongside a bike. I'm a chesty girl, so true running really isn't an option for me, but this way Gambit (and the rest of our pack) can run with their pack leaders.

Also, add a backpack for an extra workout for your husky...or do the same for yourself! It's especially good for huskies and other working dogs because it puts their brain not only in "pack" mode, but also in "work" mode- puts a bit more of a mental workout into the deal.

Great thread amy!!!

Sarah we want video evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA!!!!!!!

Look - don't you think you're going to get enough in Wales??????? Bad enough that i've been humiliated once on this bloody forum lmao :D

Nice thread! Thought I'd share some things I learned while learning to run with my younger pup, Dakota.

Warmup: Before our run, Dakota and I take a walk with Nikita (my elder pup). For the walk, I have Dakota on 4-foot leash hooked to his collar. He now understands that, in this equipment, he is supposed to stroll leisurely. We walk for about 30 minutes, then drop Nikita off at home.

Running: Next I put Dakota in a harness with a "Buddy System" waistbelt leash hooked to me (it has two quick-release buckles to get me unattached to him in an emergency). I also use the "Lunge Buster" bungee-type thing that comes separately. The Buddy System leash with lunge buster can be shortened to about 5 feet, which is what I do, and it's hooked to his harness and buckled around my waist. I also use a separate 6-foot leash that I hold in my hand connected to his collar in case I need better control. Because it's longer than the one around my waist hooked to his harness, it hangs slack and doesn't pull on my arm when he runs.

He KNOWS this is his run setup, and he loves it. If he runs too fast, he's simply pulling against my waist, which is easy for me to handle; he settles quickly, though, and soon jogs along beside me. In this setup, I make him STOP and SIT at all street intersections (we live in the city). This is challenging and fun for him, and it makes him less likely to drag me into the street someday! He is also doing well with the LEAVE IT command for rabbits, squirrels, and other dogs.

Oh, I also wear a fluorescent yellow Illuminite (reflective) jacket both day and night. I've noticed that cars slow more for some reason when I wear it, even in the daytime.

Hope this helps any other city-dwellers out there. I am able to run with Dakota twice a day, walk with Dakota and Nikita together twice a day. So even city sibes can get their running in!

Nice thread! Thought I'd share some things I learned while learning to run with my younger pup, Dakota.

Warmup: Before our run, Dakota and I take a walk with Nikita (my elder pup). For the walk, I have Dakota on 4-foot leash hooked to his collar. He now understands that, in this equipment, he is supposed to stroll leisurely. We walk for about 30 minutes, then drop Nikita off at home.

Running: Next I put Dakota in a harness with a "Buddy System" waistbelt leash hooked to me (it has two quick-release buckles to get me unattached to him in an emergency). I also use the "Lunge Buster" bungee-type thing that comes separately. The Buddy System leash with lunge buster can be shortened to about 5 feet, which is what I do, and it's hooked to his harness and buckled around my waist. I also use a separate 6-foot leash that I hold in my hand connected to his collar in case I need better control. Because it's longer than the one around my waist hooked to his harness, it hangs slack and doesn't pull on my arm when he runs.

He KNOWS this is his run setup, and he loves it. If he runs too fast, he's simply pulling against my waist, which is easy for me to handle; he settles quickly, though, and soon jogs along beside me. In this setup, I make him STOP and SIT at all street intersections (we live in the city). This is challenging and fun for him, and it makes him less likely to drag me into the street someday! He is also doing well with the LEAVE IT command for rabbits, squirrels, and other dogs.

Oh, I also wear a fluorescent yellow Illuminite (reflective) jacket both day and night. I've noticed that cars slow more for some reason when I wear it, even in the daytime.

Hope this helps any other city-dwellers out there. I am able to run with Dakota twice a day, walk with Dakota and Nikita together twice a day. So even city sibes can get their running in!

excellant post! added to rep

• 1 month later...

Siberian Wolf,

Where do you get all your equipment? I would like to run with Kodi bu have had trouble finding appropriate things to fasten to him!! Hehe.

Great thread by the way!

have pm you websites for culpeppers and snow paw store which IMO are the best places to go. If you are looking at running with them on foot (I know that sounds crazy, lol) then I would recommend a walking belt which you can get from Kisi (http://www.kisi.co.uk/walkingbelts.html) - they also do them at culpeppers and snow paw too :) so you can run with them without having your arms pulled in front of you! When you do go with them throw in your commands:

HIKE = Run/Go/Run like f*ck lol (Be ready for one giant pull)

HAW = Left

GEE = Right

ONBY = continue onwards (use this when you pass anywhere where your sibe may suddenly decide to change direction like peoples driveways/gateways ro when you see another person or animal or another road/path diverting off the road/path you are currently following which you do not want them to go down!)

WHOA - STOP very vital to know

Lana: I loved when my Pack Leader would get on his bike, grab my leash and we would take off. PL (Pack Leader) round ride down the 8 mile track on base. We would talk quarter way back then we would take off again. When we would get back to the house he would put the dog's exercise pack. On each side there would be 10lbs and we would walk around the block. I loved it and always wanted to do more but PL was worried that the climate is too hot. My PL had his third back surgery on the 29th July 09 and we just started working out again. I sometimes want to run but i look back at my PL and know its not a good idea. My PL does something new now that he didn't do before. I would always walk no further than my head in front of him. Now on the trip back home he allows me to walk as i please. I don't go far because i don't want him to get lonely but every now and then i would get a body ahead of him only to look back to see i was to far. PL laughs and tells me its ok but i like being by my PL.

I've read everywhere that puppies shouldn't go on runs until they're older, but it seems that huskies can run a bit sooner that many others. Is this true? My husband wants to take Akasha when he goes running, but I'm still not clear how much is too much. She'll be 5 months on Oct 16th. He's taken her for short jogs; they don't run fast, and they frequently stop to walk. Is a mile too long? Two miles? When can she go on a real trail run with him? He's training for a marathon, so his current runs are ranging 5-15 miles. Also, how many times a week can they run together?

rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age so for Akasha-around 25-30 mins per day. Small jogs are ok - is he running on tarmac? You see runners wearing shock absorbing trainers to ease the stress on their knees / ankles - pups running on hard ground like tarmac can suffer damage to their joints so i'd advise if he take her out for a jog, to do as much of it as possible on softer ground :)

i jog with oscar now and he is great, doesnt pull, stays the same distance away from me all the time! im thinking of starting him on the bike but was wondering if it is better to get him used to the commands before starting on the bike? as i dont want him crossing in front of me all the time?

Not sure on the timings Cher - one of the other members should be able to help you on that.

Paul - i'd definately get him used to the commands before getting him on a bike - as much for his safety as for yours as well - give it a few more weeks of training and you should be ready to roll :up:

WOW! What a fab thread, really enjoyed reading it ;)

I go cycling and running with my little Angel and she loves them both :) Although, I have to say i am about to start dancing with her - the music is getting louder and she is going to have to have a boogie with me!

Thanks for the advice :) xx

just thought i'd let you know that i got a new cd that i play while jogging and found it realy good! its called "101 running songs" 5 cd's of old and new songs and it was brilliant! time just flew buy lastnight when we were out! and i had to wake oscar up this morning for his walk! :grinning-smiley-003

Dancing

As some of you may have read in my behaviourist thread that I started teaching Marley dance moves today :) what a great result

Unfortuantely I was on my own so no vids :tdown: but if I can get Jamie or someone to make a little video of us training then it will hopefully help everyone who wants to try out the dancing an idea of how to teach your sibe/s to dance :grinning-smiley-003

Then we can maybe get a little husky owners dance class going on ;)