Enjoy life, be healthy, get fit and have fun with your sibe

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've read everywhere that puppies shouldn't go on runs until they're older, but it seems that huskies can run a bit sooner that many others. Is this true? My husband wants to take Akasha when he goes running, but I'm still not clear how much is too much. She'll be 5 months on Oct 16th. He's taken her for short jogs; they don't run fast, and they frequently stop to walk. Is a mile too long? Two miles? When can she go on a real trail run with him? He's training for a marathon, so his current runs are ranging 5-15 miles. Also, how many times a week can they run together?

I run my six month old on the beach pretty frequently. Its nice during the winter because there arent that many people out, so I let her off the leash. She stays pretty close and minds well, so it works okay. This allows her to run more or less at her own pace and she can still sniff and splash. I find that tires her out more than putting her on the leash and running on the road because she can think about things more instead of zoning out and pushing forward. The same goes with walks, she gets more tired from a long walk than a short run. I worry though, Ill be heading off to dive school soon and wont be able to run or walk her for a long time.

Don't forget biking! As soon as our fosters learn heel, we teach them to run alongside a bike. I'm a chesty girl, so true running really isn't an option for me, but this way Gambit (and the rest of our pack) can run with their pack leaders.

Also, add a backpack for an extra workout for your husky...or do the same for yourself! It's especially good for huskies and other working dogs because it puts their brain not only in "pack" mode, but also in "work" mode- puts a bit more of a mental workout into the deal.

How do you keep her from shying away from the bike? How far do you go?

• 1 month later...

Noushka has helped me in my fitness drive.

I go running with a colleague at work round a park, he takes his Hungarian Vizsla and I take Noushka, we do around 3 and a half miles a few times a week and Noushka stays with Milo (Hungarian Vizsla) all the way round and will just trot alongside of you if you want.

Towards the end she generally trots along at the back on her own, not sure whether its her age

Towards the end she generally trots along at the back on her own, not sure whether its her age

awww bless her :) I can't wait to start running again, not sure if I will take all 3 boys at the same time or just take one at a time (maybe one a day gets the run and the other two get a walk instead). But now Ive got the rig and the rest of the equipment is on the way may be busy training them and getting fit at the same time :)

Are you going to take Falkor running when he is old enough to run that far?

awww bless her :) I can't wait to start running again, not sure if I will take all 3 boys at the same time or just take one at a time (maybe one a day gets the run and the other two get a walk instead). But now Ive got the rig and the rest of the equipment is on the way may be busy training them and getting fit at the same time :)

Are you going to take Falkor running when he is old enough to run that far?

Depends on how manic he is, what age is good for taking them running that distance. I have read the 5 minute rule for walking.

Plus I am moving away from home in a month so will only see the dogs at weekend. I have a good bond with Noushka whereas it may be more difficult with Falkor

I would like too though. Plus Noushka runs off the lead and stays with me, whereas with Falkor as a young adult there is no way will I trust him

3 dogs sounds hard work to run go running with, 1 a day sounds a better idea and may be something I have to do.

Depends on how manic he is, what age is good for taking them running that distance. I have read the 5 minute rule for walking.

Plus I am moving away from home in a month so will only see the dogs at weekend. I have a good bond with Noushka whereas it may be more difficult with Falkor

I would like too though. Plus Noushka runs off the lead and stays with me, whereas with Falkor as a young adult there is no way will I trust him

3 dogs sounds hard work to run go running with, 1 a day sounds a better idea and may be something I have to do.

aww that's gonna be tough only seeing them at weekends :( *hugs*

with regards to the running - start off slow maybe a mile once a week for a bit and build up gradually :) Could always alternate running one on one day and one on another :) - good way to keep fit then too :D

As he is developing stick to the 5 minute walk rule to help avoid future muscle or joint problems. When he has developed fully I would take sarah's advise and build him up slowly. Maybe do something similar to the the 5 minute walk rule, you could vary his walk with running and walking while he build up :)

If you really want to run with him I would recommend that you buy a walking belt which you can attatch the lead to so you can run and walk handsfree with falkor but still have him on the lead :) Here are few links for walking belts:

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-walking/dog-walking-belts.html

http://www.kisi.co.uk/walkingbelts.html

I use this with my girl in her harness alongside the bike.

We love it - Even used it in the snow the other day.

http://springerusa.com/

http://www.springer-uk.com/

The sites have a video of how they work.

It really does take the bulk of any sideway pulls towards other dogs / rabbits etc

I use Mushers Secret on her paws to keep them supple to prevent dryness and cracking when running.

Happy Biking!

Love the dancing - I am still trying to teach my Husky Salsa dancing!!! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Ok so we have found our best equipment!

A while ago I did buy a simple walking belt, but after trying it once (and thinking I might get ripped in half lol) I havent

used it much until today. Finally I managed to get my hands on one of those stroller conversion kits for my bike trailer,

and it came in early this week. With the kids in that, both chewy and achilles hooked on a side of me by a short leash,

and 2 (loose) training collars, we had a fabulous walk. We went for 6 miles in the rain, and we all loved it. The kids

were happy for the cover on the trailer and I was happy for my hands being loose and not wrapped in the excess lead

from each dog...and the trailer because the kids werent running ahead or behind me hahahahaha. Chewy and Achilles

were very obviously in heaven at a light jog. The short leads and training collars came out to be the perfect length to

have good control over them and they didnt pull nearly as much, lol.

Of course after a pretty decent rain we (me and the dogs) came back drenched and semi-muddy, but I think we really

did find the perfect combo of exercise gear for them finally!!! Yaaaaay!!

Now Ive bought myself nike plus shoes and the kit with the sensor so I can track our power walks and time a bit easier.

If you have kids and youre trying very hard to find the balance of gear to walk 2 huskies PM me and Ill tell you what Im

going to continue to use, what it costs (its totally worth it and not as expensive as you might think), and where I got it

all from.

What a WONDERFUL walk! :)

Next time we walk (and its not raining) Ill take my camera and have someone take pics, hahahaha.

• 1 month later...
laugh.gif can just see that now - all get dragged onto stage, dogs sit after being told to 5 times, music start - a few of them start howling and doing the tuck ya tail between your legs and dash REALLY fast thing - someone gets caught up and falls off the stage laugh.gif

• 1 year later...