Think my pups are ill

Hi all

The other day Koda our male had some lumps on his nose buy the end of the night it was one large lump on his snout. The next morning i cam down and thought i owned an english bull terrier as his face was really big. I took him the vet and he said he must of had a fight with a bee and lost, so he gave hime an injection and by the end of the day it was fine. (that was last Wednesday)

Last night Zikkas (the bitch) face swelled up nad she has also had the runs and she has been trying to vomit the last 3 nights but nothing comes out (only at nights does she do this). When i checked this morning there was what looked like bolod vessels with in her runs. i was wondering if any one could have any ideas as to what this could be?

She appears fine and was in great sprits this morning playing with me, but i am still a little worried

The swelling sounds like some sort of reaction. the fact that both have had it would make me think its to do with some sort of plant. Have they been foraging and eating something on walks, or in the garden? Plants could also explain the diarrhoea and vomiting.

Also consider slugs, snails, frogs and toads, all of which could cause these symptoms.

We have had the swelling as a reaction to vaccination in one of our dogs. Treatment is antihistamines (speak to the vet though, don't use over the couter ones without a vets say-so), or in extreme cases, adreneline may be needed if theres any risk to the airway.

I agree with Lyn it sounds like they are having allergic reactions to something. The big question is what though! Have they eaten anything out of the ordinary or have you seen them maybe rub against something or chasing bees/insects about? Even common skin parasites can cause allergic reactions in some dogs I would go through them and see if you can spot any sign of any skin parasites.

It could be something that maybe they have had before but didnt get a reaction then. It could also be something in the air/water, etc that they have become allergic too. This IMO has to be one of the most difficult things when it comes to thing like allergies is they are very hard to diagnose unless, like most doctors and vets, you know how to tell the difference between each reaction.

I would take Koda and Zikka back to the vets and say that you think your dogs may have an allergy of some sort and hopefully they will look into it deeper for you. Or give them a call and mention about this and see what they say.

Is the swollen area irritating them? Are they trying to scartch it at all?

Thanks All,

Koda eats anything and everything on walks but Zikka tends not too, she is also too slow and not got the co-ordination to catch a bee.

The only plants in our garden that they can get too are the brambles and weeds growing through the fence as we back on to a field. Both of them are due worming in about 1 month

I have been told by Beck (she is on school holidays for 6 weeks=, lucky git!) that Zikka has just managed to be sick and it was a big stone!

Thanks for all your help guys

Hi all,

Thought i would keep you informed, Becki took Zikka to the vets today and he has given her a couple of injections and some medicine. We have to go back tomorrw he thinks it is either a blockage in which case surgy will be required or its Gastroenteritis in which case its just medication (Lets hope it is just this)

poor Zikka! as you say, hopefully an op is not needed & she has gastro that can be treated with medication - she's really going through the mill ATM, isn't she? How's Koda's face? all better, I hope. Keep us posted with their progress.

xxxxxx **Husky hugs from Myshka** xxxxxxx