Teeth Cleaning

hi Tony teeth cleaning i have found to be a nitemare with my 2, they dont eat the brush but do eat the tooth paste so there is nothing to clean em with lol.

i got a baby kids tooth brush which i can use on Topaz but i have to use a dog one for Odin looks like a thinble u put on the end of your finger but still a fight to do, i cant give the oral dog care bones Odins always gets the trots after yuk any way goos luck im sure someone on here can help u xx

a good way to start is by first introducing your hand near his mouth, get him used to the feel of your fingers round his muzzle and on his gums / teeth etc, do this for a few days / weeks until he is comfortable with you doing it - may be an idea to put paste on your finger and smear it on his gums so he associates you being near his mouth as a possitve thing - ie he gets something nice out of it.

Once he's ok with this, try a finger brush as Linda suggested and either stick with this or move up to a brush, just make sure the bristles are soft like a baby brush :)

Oh yeah so you did Mary, i had a look Mary and I think we might start getting some raw bones for him to chew on it seems to work for Smeagle..........

Raw bones are also good for cleaning but make sure you adjust his normal food accordinly or you'll end up with a rolley polley lol

hi Tony teeth cleaning i have found to be a nitemare with my 2, they dont eat the brush but do eat the tooth paste so there is nothing to clean em with lol.

i got a baby kids tooth brush which i can use on Topaz but i have to use a dog one for Odin looks like a thinble u put on the end of your finger but still a fight to do, i cant give the oral dog care bones Odins always gets the trots after yuk any way goos luck im sure someone on here can help u xx

Thanks Linda, i doubt oral dog care would be anygood for Grey either he could eat a single Chip and have the runs...lol

Honestly I've never cleaned my dogs teeth, even little Cherry who will be 11 years old this year has lovely clean teeth because she regularly gets raw bones to chew on which is the 'natural' way for dogs to clean their teeth.

There are no tooth brushes or cleaning products in the wild ;) A good raw bone to chew on (one that they use their back teeth to grind down) is all you should need to have nice white clean teeth.

Honestly I've never cleaned my dogs teeth, even little Cherry who will be 11 years old this year has lovely clean teeth because she regularly gets raw bones to chew on which is the 'natural' way for dogs to clean their teeth.

There are no tooth brushes or cleaning products in the wild ;) A good raw bone to chew on (one that they use their back teeth to grind down) is all you should need to have nice white clean teeth.

This is going to sound stupid but is there any paticular bone to use or that you use, or can it be any bone as long as its raw???

Oh yeah so you did Mary, i had a look Mary and I think we might start getting some raw bones for him to chew on it seems to work for Smeagle..........

Raw bones are a brilliant way to clean a dogs teeth. Where my 3 are fed BARF they are given raw bones on a regular basis and it keeps tehir teeth nice and gleaming white. Also raw bones are a good source of calcium, etc try to get bones with natural marrow in them too :) the marrow can act jult like treats do in a kong they have to work hard to get it all out! Keeps my 3 entertained for hours!

This is going to sound stupid but is there any paticular bone to use or that you use, or can it be any bone as long as its raw???

they can have any raw bone, as long as its raw and non human or from an endangered animal as you may get in trouble if you feed them!

like in my last post, try and get a few bones that will have marrow in there aswell, makes a great treat.

Brushing teeth is VERY important, by the age of 2 most dogs have gum disease, which is not only highly uncomfortable for your dog but has other health risks, have a read of this:

http://luvurdog.com/dog/importance-of-brushing-your-dogs-teeth/

I brush Alaska's teeth everyday, i give her rawhides and raw meaty bones. Her teeth are white, she has good breath, her gums are a good colour, and are healthy. Also remember bad breath can stem from the gut so we buy charcoal from our pet shop, its already crushed and we add a table spoon to each meal:

http://www.melianpetsupplies.co.uk/images/granulated%20charcoal.jpg

<<< And 'cos it works in the gut it also gets rid of a gasy husky lool

When Alaska was a pup and still had her baby teeth we were told to start with a finger brush to get her used to things being in her mouth:

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3757051dt.jpg

And we use this Mikki one now >> it has 2 ends, the little end gets into the more difficult bits:

http://www.dog-online.co.uk/images/mikki_double_toothbrush_03.jpg

And the toothpaste we use:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pet-supply-store.co.uk/prodimages/jtoothpaste_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pet-supply-store.co.uk/products.php%3Fcat%3D201&usg=__KPl8euyUguXFbp0btKxmerJNq-8=&h=150&w=58&sz=3&hl=en&start=51&um=1&tbnid=pW3YHFqHK7cNQM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=37&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohnsons%2Btoothpaste%2Bfor%2Bdogs%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D40%26um%3D1

Here are chews we give for dental care:

[ATTACH]2151.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2152.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2153.IPB[/ATTACH]

If you are really interested in raw feeding, heres a thread i started a while back:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2752

Oh >> btw chicken wings and necks are really chewy and give the teeth a good clean. Also lamb neck is a tough bone and is great for a good oral clean ;)

post-126-1358594344486_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943445014_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943445179_thumb.jpg

Just finished brushing Balto and Alaska's teeth so i thought i'd take some picceys...they werent too pleased so i told them to thank Tony lol

[ATTACH]2155.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2156.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2157.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2158.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2159.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2160.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2161.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2162.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2163.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2164.IPB[/ATTACH]

Second to last is Alaska after her ordeal and the last pic is them having a rawhide:D

post-126-13585943446255_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943446642_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943447014_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943447393_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943447783_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943448175_thumb.jpg

post-126-1358594344856_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943448942_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943449332_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943449718_thumb.jpg

our 2 girls have their teeth cleaned, they do try to eat the brush, and they do like to lick the toothpaste.

we got some enzyme toothpaste from the vets, chicken flavoured!!!

the idea behind it is all you need to do is get it into your dogs mouth and it will do the work for you(the enzymes break down the food etc, of course brushin helps.

micha entered a local dog show just for fun, because my daughter asked, she came 4th in pedigree puppies, and the judge commented on how nice and clean her teeth are.

also once a fortnight we get them an end of a marrow bone from the butcher, they spend hours chewing them, and it all helps to clean their teeth.