Bandit - Weaver and "wizzer"

This may just be me being paranoid but I think Bandit is showing signs of possible fearful behaviour which I am guessing could be because of the amount of time my poor baby has been attacked by other dogs!!

When I take him and marley out on a walk Bandit seems to have started to weave alot from one side of the path to the other. Everytime he does go from one side to the other side he will always smell the ground and then he will cross to the other side and sniff there and he does this thought the whole walk nearly.

I have heard that sometimes having them walk on just a lead and collar can sometimes cause them weave so I'm not sure if Bandit's weaving could be a fearful response or just the fact he is on a lead and collar and maybe he is finding the collar puts pressure on his neck and finds that unfomfortable.

Also another thing I have noticed is Bandit is urinating alot on walks also. Sometimes he will just "cock" his leg and thats it, as if he is scent marking, but its getting me worried that this could also be a fearful response.

With other dogs, he will still want to play with them and is not trying to get away from them unless the other dog goes to attack him in which case he will cower away and has a very "shocked" look on his face as if he is thinking 'what was that for, I just wanted to play'.

I am hoping its not fear he is showing, as at the moment the cost of getting a behaviourist is going to be difficult to afford at the moment!

What sort of lead do you use when walking amy?

I find I have this problem with Kimba - I use a walking harness and extending lead, he zig zags when walking unless we run then he's totally straight but there is no way in hell i can run everywhere with him LOL !!

I find, keeping the lead short helps, thus having him close by me so he isn't able to zig everywhere, but it's going to be harder if you walk all 3 at once - or do you walk him and Marley together? If so, have you tried walking him with Gizmo?

With the weeing - is it something that's just started happening or is it something he's always done? And do the other 2 do the same?

Has their been any changes within the pack - as in your 3 boys? Just wondering if he's trying to assert himself a bit more with the scent marking to make himself more dominant?

Sorry for all the questions!! LOL x

What sort of lead do you use when walking amy?

I use a long lead with the walking belt. Its about 6ft long and double ended (so I can attatch it to the belt).

I find I have this problem with Kimba - I use a walking harness and extending lead, he zig zags when walking unless we run then he's totally straight but there is no way in hell i can run everywhere with him LOL !!

I find, keeping the lead short helps, thus having him close by me so he isn't able to zig everywhere, but it's going to be harder if you walk all 3 at once - or do you walk him and Marley together? If so, have you tried walking him with Gizmo?

lmao I agree its impossible to run everywhere! If I do run him then he is quite good as long as I give him a firm OnBy.

If I get up early in the morning (about 5am) I will normally take all 3 at the same time as its quiet on the pathway and not many other walkers about for them to pull me over to, lol. Otherwise I take him and Marley together. Not thought of taking him with Gizmo, may give that a go and see if it makes a difference. Marley will walk very nice and straight unless Bandit does decide that he wants to cross to the other side and he will sometimes walk into Marley.

With the weeing - is it something that's just started happening or is it something he's always done? And do the other 2 do the same?

Has their been any changes within the pack - as in your 3 boys? Just wondering if he's trying to assert himself a bit more with the scent marking to make himself more dominant?

Bandit has always gone pee more often that Marley and Gizmo but its just recenlty that it has become more frequent. At first I thought that maybe it was because of the increased water he was drinking when we had that hot weather but he doesnt alway actually pee he will just cock his leg in the air.

Bandit will occasionally try for leadership in the pack but backs down to everyone. He is lowest within the pack, excluding Paul lol. I suppose he could be trying for a higher pack rank as sometime I will see Marley and Bandit having a "peeing contest" on the same spots - One will pee and then the other will pee there, and then the first will pee there again, etc etc

Sorry for all the questions!! LOL x

lmao thats ok :)

awww poor Bandit, he sounds like Balti, Balto is a big boy and when he gets attacked he totally sumbitts and looks rather up-set and i think to myself if he wasn't fearful he could handle himself...bless him hes just not a fighter and loves to play <<< sweet boy :D

Balto is 1 now and i have noticed he cocks his leg for EVERYTHING!!!! Yet i dont think its down to fear, and he would zig-zag if i let him have the choice but our walks are pretty organised...when we are not in parks or greenary they are not allowed to zig-zag or sniff the floor, in the park they can go nuts lol I think the certain things stem from them being the lowest in the pack, Alaska is the boss between them, and we are the boss of them both ..sooo that leaves poor Baltz at the very bottom.

We go to training every week to boost his confidence and it really works...its only 30 for 5 1 hour sessions...not bad!