Very Scared Husky

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so you would train the dog in that situation? If so that could work, making the dog work for a treat whilst the sound is in the background, therefore getting the dogs attention on you, resulting in the dog being rewarded. I really do see your point, Balto was being half scared and half " I dont want to walk so im going to use my weight" >>> When we went to training i taught him to jump on the training table, second time around he decided all that jumping wasn't for him so he shy'd away and dug his heels in >>> His answer for everything lol

I think the case with Cesar was also the dog "acting" scared, the result of a spoilt dog acting in accordance to habitual behaviour.

I guess as you suggested before, seeing a dog trainer, i really hope the she gets condfient around trucks again:confused: I hated it when Alaska acted nervous, i did feel a little sorry for her plus rather confused by her strange fear of something she passes everyday!! Alaska is fine now and i am inclined to believe with maturity they get a lot more relexed.

Again Charmaine, i really hope she gets better xx

Oh okeee, lol, im guessing i should have known that:o

Hi Ice. thanx 4 all advise. what we did this morning is we went the normal route and as soon as she started pulling back and moaning we went back the opposite way, but instead of going back home we carried on in a totally new direction. Hey presto, we walked for an hour. As we neared our home she started pulling again, but by that time we were almost home. Seems as if she associates that route with loud trucks, so we gona keep trying other routes and see if that helps. I have contacted a behavourists, just waitiing 4 his reply. We hoping 2 start with both my ladies next daturday. again thanx 4 all adive 2 everybody. xxxxxxxxx

Can't remember exactly what it was LOL but here is what I would look for (or look out for!):

1) Any trainer you use should always explain what they are going to do before he does it. No trainer should use a method or technique on your dog that, once explained clearly, makes you uncomfortable. The trainer should have a lesson plan and should explain this to you clearly.

Do not be fooled by trainers who uses the 'trade secret' excuse for not allowing you to watch, be present or participate in your dog's training. There are no trade secrets in dog training, dog training is about experience and knowledge, not secrets. This includes those types of 'dog camps' or boarding kennels that take your dog for a week or two and train it for you. Training is about training the owner, not the dog, and most of the time you spend with a good trainer will largely be learning theory so that you know the reasons behind the practical training, and can understand your dog better. The practical part is the easy part!

2) The trainer should not be impatient or bring any anger into the training sessions. Patience is the key to good dog training!

3) It goes without saying that no one should ever hit your dog or be directly cruel to it. If you see a trainer doing something to your dog that upsets you, do not say to yourself 'this will be the last time I use this trainer' - stop it then and there. Don't let people guilt you into training with them - this goes for both trainers who are physically abusive to the dog and trainers who are purely positive and guilt you about using corrections or training that doesn't fit within their limited purely positive scope. No trainer should need to emotionally black mail clients to keep them.

4) Generally I don't advise going to franchises like Bark Busters etc. Dog training is only as good as the trainer, and within a franchise they can vary in experience and knowledge. Another thing to keep in mind is that many dog training franchises, "trainers" only need to buy a franchise, complete what is normally a 2-4 week course in dog training and then they are considered "qualified".

I don't want a trainer who has only completed a franchise course of maybe a month, I want a trainer who has many years experience in dog training and behaviour and has worked with a range of different dogs - and a trainer who is always willing to expand their learning and knowledge base.

5) When it comes to methods you want to go to a trainer who is well versed in a variety of dog training methods. I generally don't use purely positive trainers for that reason, while I use reward based training a trainer needs to have many tools in their toolbox as no two dogs are the same, and no one method will work with all dogs.

Hi there Bec.

Thanx so much 4 the advise. I would not tolerate anyone being even slightly harsh with my dogs. I contacted a behavourists this morning via e-mail, explaining age, breed etc of Skylah and Kaili, just waiting for his reply. I dont know 2 much about training but if i c anything that i dont like i will definitely open my mouth. We've put so much and keep putting so much time and effort 4 our ladies, no one is gona mess with them.

Hi Ice. thanx 4 all advise. what we did this morning is we went the normal route and as soon as she started pulling back and moaning we went back the opposite way, but instead of going back home we carried on in a totally new direction. Hey presto, we walked for an hour. As we neared our home she started pulling again, but by that time we were almost home. Seems as if she associates that route with loud trucks, so we gona keep trying other routes and see if that helps. I have contacted a behavourists, just waitiing 4 his reply. We hoping 2 start with both my ladies next daturday. again thanx 4 all adive 2 everybody. xxxxxxxxx

Great News!!!!:party::party:Its excellent you kept walking, a different route was good thinking lol. I do hope she gets her confidence back, a dog trainer could really help her! Keep us posted x

Just to add to my last post - I would be very careful with treats because with the wrong timing you could reward her for her timid behaviour. This is why consulting a professional helps because they can show you how to handle your dog properly when she exhibits this behaviour and how to boost her confidence. I would be having fun with her dog when there is a noise/something that bothers her, what does she enjoy? What does she go wild for? Is it food or a toy?

i do agree you might want to be carefull with the treats.. very good point.. and consulting a professional is a good idea. but first things first. when she starts to get scared dont take her back. keep on moving foward. so as to show her that it is ok to keep moving past what she is affraid of. but by you taking her back when she starts to wine, is just setting in that when i dont like something all i need to do is wine and they will take me away from it. And that is you working for her.. she needs to work for you.. i know its hard to be stern but you must for her sake.. and try not to feal sorry for her, she will sence it and feal sorry for herself and become even more scared.. cause they look to us for comfort. Like for instance Klutch used to pull my by a street. and he would be affraid of cars just the same way she is of trucks. (but never got a whine out of him though).. and he would come to the other side of me so that i was in between the car and him. but i just kept on moving and didnt show any fear. i never spoke just showed him with body language. just as a pack leader in the wild would do. and he would follow. he no longer pulls me next to a street. but he is not affraid of cars anymore.. but fireworks is another story.......

i do agree you might want to be carefull with the treats.. very good point.. and consulting a professional is a good idea. but first things first. when she starts to get scared dont take her back. keep on moving foward. so as to show her that it is ok to keep moving past what she is affraid of. but by you taking her back when she starts to wine, is just setting in that when i dont like something all i need to do is wine and they will take me away from it. And that is you working for her.. she needs to work for you.. i know its hard to be stern but you must for her sake.. and try not to feal sorry for her, she will sence it and feal sorry for herself and become even more scared.. cause they look to us for comfort. Like for instance Klutch used to pull my by a street. and he would be affraid of cars just the same way she is of trucks. (but never got a whine out of him though).. and he would come to the other side of me so that i was in between the car and him. but i just kept on moving and didnt show any fear. i never spoke just showed him with body language. just as a pack leader in the wild would do. and he would follow. he no longer pulls me next to a street. but he is not affraid of cars anymore.. but fireworks is another story.......

Hi there Marcos.

What really does scare me is that Kaili doesnt stop at wining, in the beginning we did try and get her to carry on walking and she really becomes hysterical. She starts yelping and literally screams. I cant even explain the look on her face. It was after that that we started turning back.

Hello

it is understandable that you would return home. but just like a child they will throw a fit. Does she fight the leash when she is whining and whimpering, almost like a crazy dog trying to get away from something, or is it just a whine?? Try stopping her and making her sit. and keeping calm try and make her stay calm. not by comforting her though. just staying calm. is there a certain spot when she starts to go crazy? If it is only trucks try what sarah said. having a friend drive by as you sit on the side walk with her. and keep her calm. but as we all know as husky owners. you must be persistent. they are not easy like some breeds are to train. and that is why we love them. she will be fine stay strong for her though. keep on fighting cause she wont stop fighting against you....

She really carries on like mad, pulling, screaming, going around in circles trying to go back. She starts at the 1st cross over road we come to and it was in one of these cross overs that she first saw a truck, a noisy one at that. When she starts we stop walking and try talking to her calmly. My husband sits on the road with her and puts his arms around her trying to talk her down. doesnt help.

hmmmmmm........ i am out of ideas. Im sorry. the only thing i can say is just to keep walking her the same way and dont let up. keep walking, head high, chest out like a strong pack leader. even if she fights keep tugging. make it an excersice. make it a point to walk back and forth on the road crossing. and keep doing it. she will (not soon) but she will get tired and start to give in. but repetition is key. every day for as long as it takes. and dont use good girl when she kinda does good cause then your saying its ok to do it half way. im sorry i couldnt help even more. if i find anything else i will defenetly keep you informed. hope what i have said has been of some help to your and your pack.