Need some help from pit peeps :)

So my neighbor rescued a pit/choc lab mix a few weeks ago. She was underweight (which he believes is cauesd by the food they gave him which the poor thing wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole), had tape worms, fleas, and was clearly abused judging by the bruising, lumps and broken nails :( Long story short she is well on the mend has a clean bill of health for worms and is almost done with the evil little fleas. One problem remains that I'm hoping someone might have an idea for.

She has been rubbing her backside on furniture and biting at her rump and tail to the point it has created scabs and bleeding. The vet thinks it may be something internal but I think it might be otherwise sever dry skin? I'm not sure she isn't to good with strangers so I didn't get to good of a look at the damage or skin. He's currently feeding her a low grade food and I suggested something higher standard but I just don't know enough about pitbull or lab digestive systems to feel comfortable enough suggesting anything? I also told him to get her started on a salmon oil regimen to help with the insanely dry skin. Any ideas would be great she is quite well behaved for having such a horrid start in life and he seems like a very responsible owner and he's willing to do whatever it takes to get her well again.

we have a staffordshire bull terrier she used to do the scooting and used to bite/nip all round her bottom and down her tail she had very dry skin used to itch it so much poor girl was in so much pain with it. first of all we had her on kibble with fish oil and sometimes sardines mixed in to it helped a bit but we then put her on raw feed we still add the fish oil and the change in her skin condition is amazing she doesnt scratch/nip or scoot anymore x

Sorry just now getting on HO, been busy with school. Skin irritations and issues from what I know are common with pits. My old red nose Bowser always had really dry skin and would bite and nibble at his back side all the time. Koopa also has dry skin and itches a lot and nibbles, bites and scratches. Like suggested above I also recommend a higher grade dog food and fish oil. Don't give baths unless really needed as this can dry the skin more and use good quality shampoos with moisturizer and maybe aloe or oatmeal. Also it could be because of the fleas that you said are now coming under control. Some dog breeds (pits and Boston terriers are examples) are prone to allergies to flea saliva and will bite, nibble, and scratch until they make hair loss, scabs, and other irritations.

Also since he now owns a pit mix let him know about www.pitbullpositive.ning.com its an online community geared at education and responsible pit bull ownership :) There's some good info on that site, wish it was more lively like this place lol. There's quite a few members (I'm an admin lol) but they tend to be a little on the quiet side.

Hope all goes well for your friend and the doggie!

Nice site Fallon thanks I'll be sure to throw it his way. He's in a fit right now over the moron in our complex and is chomping at the bit wanting to rip his head off. Don't blame him much but like his wife and I keep telling him storming over there aint gone do nothing but cause excessive problems. I'll be sure to keep you updated as I can Nix thanks for the advice guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well it's been a week since she's been on the salmon oil and so far it's working good. Her coat has visibly gotten better and she's so far lessened her scratching :) Still a long way to go I think but so far it looks like it's working for the poor dear.

Woot talked to my neighbor today and Riley's skin is improving alot :) She's stopped rubbing herself and everything and has stopped nibbling on herself. I had him add a spray for a few days that had tea tree oil and aloe in it to keep her from nibbling while the salmon did it's work and it looks like she is well on her way to an itch free life :D Thanks to everyone who hopped on and suggested things I'm so glad we could get her into a better state.