Trouble with Finn

Hey All!

Long story short, I had a friend's dad pass away and went to donate blood to feel less useless. When I came home I took Finn out of her crate and out to potty quickly and then we came back in and had a little lay down, and she came up on the bed with me and had a snooze. Well, because I was a pint short on blood, apparently I slept for 3.5 hours and she must have gotten up at some point and gotten into the trash. It's the first time she has done it and it's my bad for leaving the bag in the kitchen, but to be fair, she opened the cupboard door to get at it.

Anyhow, when I woke up there was trash everywhere and she greeted me by puking at my feet. She had eaten a pound of butter as well, and what I assume to be the wrap from my steak last night. She threw up plastic wrap and there certainly looked to be enough of it that she got it all up (I hope).

It's now several hours later and when I took her outside again she threw up 3 more times, had a pee and then looked like she felt better and ran circles around me.

I'm wondering how worried I should be or what point I need to take her to the vet... I'm kind of freaking out.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Oh Kate, that sort of stuff really makes one worried. The plastic bag would be the big issue. But you say she threw up most of it. I'd give her plenty of water, watch her close for the next day. Make note if she eats normally or turns her nose at food. If she seems full of energy, chances are, she's OK. Watch her stools. If she does not poop or if she strains when she tries, then I would get her into the vet. That could indicate there may be a blockage. I don't think the butter would hurt her, other than to give her the Hershey squirts. If it was salted butter, the salt would not be good, but it's probably not concentrated enough to have any long lasting affects, other than to make her puke (which she has done). The butter itself could do that as well. Her digestive system will probably be well lubricated for a day or so.

Huskies are pretty crafty creatures. They are able to figure things out, that other dogs can't. I hope Finn has learned a lesson (probably not). Give her some added hugs and kisses. She'll be fine.

I think she will be ok, the main thing is she threw up the plastic, so it is more than likely the pound of butter has given her an upset stomach, so be prepared for some runny poo! as long as you make sure she gets plenty of water she will be fine in a day or so.....

raw Chicken wings will help with the runny poo if she gets it which after a pound of butter im sure she will........

awww poor thing - like others have said, keep an eye on her stools and make sure she drinks plenty. As she's been sick, she should be ok.

HUGS to her, keep us posted on how she gets on

Sorry to hear about your friends dad, xxxxx

sorry to hear about your friends dad. Well done for giving blood (I used to but I kept falling ill after a while).

Bandit had a day like this, he threw up loads (i lost count how many) of times within the space of an hour and I got really worried! the following day Bandit threw up a piece of bone and then was fine again. My guess is that the bone must have been stuck in his throat. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1652

I would keep an eye on Finns water intake and see if she having any toilet problems too, if there is anything out of the ordinary take her to the vet and get her checked out.

Hi All ---

Quick update.

She has been eating fine and drinking lots. I was worried because she hadn't pooed in about 24 hours, but she hadn't tried either. She went this morning! (I didn't think I would ever be happy to see her poo) Going to keep an eye on her in the next couple of days and see how she does.

As a side note, she got up onto the counter last night, got down the jar of peanut butter, managed to get the lid off and had half the jar gone by the time I realized she was being too quiet. If I wanted to chase an animal away from the counter I would have gotten a cat. Craziness.

Looks like I have a mischievous one on my hands.

Aww porr thing! Just keep doing what everyone is saying and im sure thigs will be fine. You could always give the vet a ring to double cheek.

Hope she is feeling alot better!! big Husky hugs and kisses to finn frrom Grey.....mwah

Mary

xx xx xx

Hi All ---

Quick update.

She has been eating fine and drinking lots. I was worried because she hadn't pooed in about 24 hours, but she hadn't tried either. She went this morning! (I didn't think I would ever be happy to see her poo) Going to keep an eye on her in the next couple of days and see how she does.

As a side note, she got up onto the counter last night, got down the jar of peanut butter, managed to get the lid off and had half the jar gone by the time I realized she was being too quiet. If I wanted to chase an animal away from the counter I would have gotten a cat. Craziness.

Looks like I have a mischievous one on my hands.

sounds like she is recovering just keep an eye on here, as best as you can.

She must love peanut butter then lol I come into my 3 one day and found that one of them had managed to get the lid off a jaye's fluid bottle :eek: luckily empty!!! Im guessing it was Bandit as he will watch what your doing and alothough a complete loon he is too clever for his own good sometimes.