Shura is not eating again what do i do????

Hiya guys Shura aint eating again what do i do its been 4 days to a week now but she aint eatin anything now im worried about her in this heat. Shes drinking fine and seems to be herself but i just dont know why shes not eating her food !!! ant help would be much appretated Thank you xxxx

She is drinking well?

Her stools (poo) are firm?

She is her normal, bouncy, happy self?

No other strange behaivors or symptoms?

Has she done this before?

>>> If so ignore this and keep offering her food, if it goes over 1 week it is adviced to consult your vet, just make sure you feed her:

- After walks

-If not interested in the food at all only leave down for 3 mins

-If interested in food and is eating leave down for 5-7mins maxium

-Feed only twice a day and try putting half in the bowl

Let us know :)

She is drinking well?

Her stools (poo) are firm?

She is her normal, bouncy, happy self?

No other strange behaivors or symptoms?

Has she done this before?

>>> If so ignore this and keep offering her food, if it goes over 1 week it is adviced to consult your vet, just make sure you feed her:

- After walks

-If not interested in the food at all only leave down for 3 mins

-If interested in food and is eating leave down for 5-7mins maxium

-Feed only twice a day and try putting half in the bowl

Let us know :)

Hi ya hun,

I agree with all of the above but if its really stressing you out then contact your vet. Im sure she will be back to her normal self soon its just prob the heat putting her off.

Good luck :D

Mary x x x x

im not rly sure what 2 do sorry :( maybe take her vet get her checked over dogs are very good at hiding pain sorry i cnt help let us no how u get on hipe she's ok

Hi ya hun,

I agree with all of the above but if its really stressing you out then contact your vet. Im sure she will be back to her normal self soon its just prob the heat putting her off.

Good luck :D

Mary x x x x

I agree with you both, it could be medical, its just Alaska is a fussy eater and went without food for 5 days and then picked for about 3 days, giving her rice and chicken is a good test, if she starts to eat it you know she's being fussy and to avoid her thinking you have given in >> take it away from her!

ummm we give her a mix of dry and wet food. Shes probs being fussy coz she eats her treats fine. She just doesnt seem to be interested in her kibble unless the amount is fazzing her! `She is herself shes still as nutty as ever. I know her signs when shes in pain as when she ran in to the heater as a pup and caught her self she just slept alot and thats what shes done since. we bought some newfood for her to try to keep varying it but she just walked away so she doesnt like that at all.. But maby it is the heat im just not sure. xx thanks for all the advice guys xx

ummm we give her a mix of dry and wet food. Shes probs being fussy coz she eats her treats fine. She just doesnt seem to be interested in her kibble unless the amount is fazzing her! `She is herself shes still as nutty as ever. I know her signs when shes in pain as when she ran in to the heater as a pup and caught her self she just slept alot and thats what shes done since. we bought some newfood for her to try to keep varying it but she just walked away so she doesnt like that at all.. But maby it is the heat im just not sure. xx thanks for all the advice guys xx

hmmm yep deff sounds like she's being a little fuss pott lol:rolleyes: You say your giving her treats ...... this may seem harsh...but...dont!! When Alaska didn't eat for nearly 1 week she didn't get any treats, no cheese, no jumbo bones ...no nothing lol!!!:icon10: I used her puppy food as treats, half the time she would spit it out but i was told by my trainer to ignore this (in his words: "I dont bloody care if she spits it out") >>> Basically she will learn that "my two meals are kibble, my treats are kibble, my reward for being good is....KIBBLE":biggerGrin: She will see this as her only survival, otherwise she will stock up on treats and so on. Having a fussy sibe is a real pain in the butt, Alaska is 1 now and only now has she got it, she sometimes skips meals or even 1 day without but never longer 'cos now she knows 110% 'she aint gettn anything else'

Stick to your guns, trust me >> her instincs will kick in that its eat or starve! Another thing is to not keep switching her foods each time she kicks up a fuss, get a high quality kibble and stick to it until literally something better comes along, Alaska was weaned onto James Wellbeloved and we only just switched to Burns for its high success with sibe owners on here. Also i would deff cut out the wet stuff your putting in, your thinking like a human, she doesn't need variety, they wouldn't in the wild so just stick to the kibble. Im affraid on a whole their not like other breeds, i have so many friends with shepherds and staffies who say if they add a little gravy to their kibble its gone in seconds!! If i did this with Alaska i would turn around to find her licking her bowl and ignoring the kibble:confused:

So what i can say is keep it seperate, if you really want to feed wet food, feed it as a meal and then feed her kibble, e.g:

once a week our 2 sibes get a block of tripe each and a raw egg (no kibble) the other days its plain kibble

Don't give in to her all the time and keep switching her foods or she will come to learn that you will cave in each time she starves herself and this isn't healthy. I do think from time to time dogs get a little bored of the same'old same'old >>> However here's what i do, we will have the same brand of kibble but buy different meats and rotate them after 3 months, so we have a fish kibble, lamb, chicken and turkey >>> They love the fish but we thought to keep it fresh so, in 2 month we will give them lamb for a while.

One tip to get her hungry is to buy her a huge raw hide bone (not the shoes though >> not for this), i think they have knuckles which they love! >> she will be chewing for a good hour and still only get a mouthful of rawhide, this really intices the appetite.

General rules for the house that everyone must follow:

-No doggy treats >> She shouldn't be treated for not eating and she will see the treats as her meals as we all know sibes can run on very littel fuel

-NO HANDOUTS!!! ever lol, You have been blessed with a fussy sibe so im affriad chucking her scraps from your plate from the time to time is a big no no! Plus it's doing more damage than you think; by chucking her a little strip of chicken or vegg >> She will hold out even longer if you giver her a taste of the 'good stuff'

Thus you must tell all members not to do it, it wont work if you dont but someone else does!

-Excercise, play, tire her out, always feed after she has excersied but had an hours rest

-Plenty of fresh water should get the appetite going aswell

-Giver her chews like rawhide that will make her hungry and tired but not actually give her enough food to last on

-Be firm and don't give in, stick to one brand of kibble and do not deviate, no more mixing in wet food, maybe giver her wet food as a treat when she has eaten her kibble successfully for 1 week

-After she has eaten enough of her kibble always give her a small treat and plently of praise >> I give mine a cube of cheese

- If she does not eat >> never leave the bolw down, and never leave it down for longer than 7 mins when she is eating >> she will come to take advantage of he time with her kibble:sweet_kiss: Mine eat theirs in 5 mins now!, If she doesn't seem interested take it away without a word and ignore her pleading looks

- If she sits in fromt of you when you are eating and she is begging, tell her 'NO' and remove her from the room of put her in the down position

And lastly...good luck lol hope this helps:D The hardest thing is ignoring it as we think they are not getting what they need, however she will give in before you do!

So when you say she hasn't eaten in four days or more, has she literally not eaten anything or have you been giving her treats and tidbits in between meals?

If she is being fussy do not feed her at any other time. If you desperately want to give her a treat, give her a piece of her dried food.

How long do you leave her food out for her? Put it down for 15 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, pick it up and put it away until the next meal time - do not feed her in between this time as she could very well be filling herself up on treats.

Siberians have very slow metabolisms and if she's less active due to the heat she will not be as hungry as she is in the cooler weather.

If she's genuinely not eating anything after a few days or so I would be taking her to the vet and if she checks out ok in a physical exam I would be getting a full thyroid test. Siberians can be prone to thyroid problems and thyroid issues can affect the dog's hunger.

Remember a healthy dog will never starve themselves so give her a couple of days of strictly taking the food away and not giving her anything in between meals and see if she becomes interested in her food once she realises that's all she's getting.

ok guys she didnt eat her breakfast but she did eat some dinner whiuch is good she didnt eat it out the bowl though i made into like a fun game by throwing it in the air as she likes to jump for it, is this ok to do or will it make her think ill do all the time. i had to make sure she ate somthing in this hot weather xxx