fussy eater

I am having trouble getting charlie to eat .I got him on friday and he really hasnt ate much since then.He is a year and a half and going by what his previous owner told me was fed on whole chickens bones and all .I have offered him dry food and also tinned food but he will not eat it .any ideas what I can do as dont want him to starve

I am having trouble getting charlie to eat .I got him on friday and he really hasnt ate much since then.He is a year and a half and going by what his previous owner told me was fed on whole chickens bones and all .I have offered him dry food and also tinned food but he will not eat it .any ideas what I can do as dont want him to starve

Charlie,

If you got him on Friday, chances are he is sort of sick in some way. He won't starve. If he is hungry, he will eat. For now, I would boil about 1/3 of a pound of ground beef in some water and add that to some cooked plain white rice. I'm guessing his stools are very wet. It will take him some time to adjust in my opinion. Unless there is something really wrong, in time, I think he will be fine.

Best of luck.

It could be the change of home, his tummy may be upset for a few days, our sisko isn't eating much @ present either & she loves her food, i think it is the weather putting her off as its too hot/ humid.

Agreed. Any move for a sibe is probably going to disrupt their systems. Over the years, I have noticed periods where my Sheba simply does not want to eat. Always very brief periods, maybe a day or two, but it does not alarm me. Sibes do a very good job regulating food on their own. I should add for Charlie that any table food at this point would be a big no no. And even when your dog is eating properly, table food should be kept at an absolute minimum.

thanks for the replys thought was maybe him just settling in as he was use to living with another dog so maybe missing it dont feed him table food he has took a few mouthfuls out his bowl but not much.W ill keep an eye on him he is very healthy as did have regular vet visits but going to register him with my vet this week and get a check up .

It's probably a mixture of the warm weather and moving. I'm sure he'll settle down soon.

Try putting some gravy with the kibble - that's what i've done with Kimba tonight as he's not eating much due to it being so hot at the moment

Hey hun,

We had the same prob with Grey when we rehomed him 2 months ago (Tip to remember- Siberian huskies dont eat that much for there size) A healthy dog will not starve him self so my guess would be that charlie is a little homesick and needs time to settle into his new home and family. I would suggest hand feeding if your really concerned but this fussy stage should pass soon.

Most owners like to free feed (Food out all day) but this can encourage fussy eating so it mighth be an idea to put his food out in the morning and leave down for 10 mins, if after that charlie has not touched it take it back up and dont put food down again till second feed in evening ( not double the amount). It may take a couple of days for the msg to sink in but will teach charlie not to be so fussy and that you are boss over him and not the other way round.

Charlie not eating could also be alot to do with the hot weather or maybe a upset tummy if this is the case you will notice he may have runny poo, a good trick to help cure this is raw chicken wings or probiotic yoghurt. ( another husky owner passed that tip onto me it really works!)

Hope this helps! let us know how you get on. Big cuddles & kisses to charlie :10: MWAH

Mary x x x x x

He was fed on a whole cooked chicken every day didnt think that was good for him will try different things to I find something he likes .I do think its a lot to do with him moving into a strange house and also he lived with another dog but he has settled great every other way so will just see how he goes thanks everyone for their replies

a whole cooked chicken? Cooked chicken is fine for them but not cooked bones as they can easily splinter. I would have thought he was fed on more than just chicken as he wouldnt get all the nutrients he needs from just chicken.

At the moment he may just be settling in to his new home for now and may have a bit of an unsettled stomach still. If he was only fed on chicken then that will be the only thing he is used to so the kibble or tinned meat will be different to him and so he may not want to eat it. I would go to your butcher and get some nice fresh chicken wings and try offereing a few of these, raw, or if you would rather feed him cooked then get some boneless chicken and cook it up for him and maybe add some rice to it, try to keep it bland at first as if you feed to rich it could give him an upset stomach.

charlie has decided he likes to be spoon fed put him out tinned food which was chicken and rice and he has a wee lick at it then just sat looking so I got his spoon out and fed him with that and he ate the whole lot up .He also has a liking to tinned hot dog sausages are they ok for him as he really gobbles them down

charlie has decided he likes to be spoon fed put him out tinned food which was chicken and rice and he has a wee lick at it then just sat looking so I got his spoon out and fed him with that and he ate the whole lot up .He also has a liking to tinned hot dog sausages are they ok for him as he really gobbles them down

its a good sign that he is eating but I would try to get him eating out of the bowl not on the spoon otherwise you will be spending every meal time spoon feeding him.

Ive never tried my 3 with tinned hot dog sausages before so Im not sure if they are ok or not. As far as I would say they are pork which is ok for dogs but I would be cautious with pork as it can be very salty (i.e. Gammon).