SmileMan *Alpha*

TreyRust

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

addon, you dont have to save it to the folder. it still works if you just copy the url into the smiley url box. saves saving loads of files twice onto your computer.

This is why you don't have the pictures... You _have_ to save the icon if you want them next to the smiley...

Are you on the mac build? If so you're gonna have to drill into the SmileMan.app /Contents/MacOs/ and save the files here <<

It's a much dirtier solution than on Linux/Windows, and since Apple has this stuff so ass backwards I'll push a new feature in the next version that let's you set the working directory... In the meantime enjoy what you are given.

In order to get the smiley to show up you have to save it there, and then type the filename in

"smile image location" field, as such "smiley-1389.gif"

How big of a file is it, Trey?

Wow, you are a technophobe... its 120.0KB

Why do you say that? The reason I asked (it being an application, I have no idea of the file size) is that because of my method of connecting to the Internet, I have a limited amount of bandwidth I can use per month, so if it was a larger sized file than I suspected it was, I wanted to upload it someplace where I could use someone else's free wifi - it's expensive to go over!

Why do you say that? The reason I asked (it being an application, I have no idea of the file size) is that because of my method of connecting to the Internet, I have a limited amount of bandwidth I can use per month, so if it was a larger sized file than I suspected it was, I wanted to upload it someplace where I could use someone else's free wifi - it's expensive to go over!

Oh that sucks, I was just saying because generally an application like this is would be tiny

Oh that sucks, I was just saying because generally an application like this is would be tiny

I figured that it wouldn't be huge, but it's cheaper to ask than load it and regret! I live far enough from a town that wifi isn't available, nor is cable. My choices are dial-up, which was slow enough that about the only thing I could open was text-only (30bps was optimistic!) unless I wanted to sit there a while, satellite, or a cellular modem. I chose cellular, and it's relatively fast, but if I go over my allowance - watch out bill!

I figured that it wouldn't be huge, but it's cheaper to ask than load it and regret! I live far enough from a town that wifi isn't available, nor is cable. My choices are dial-up, which was slow enough that about the only thing I could open was text-only (30bps was optimistic!) unless I wanted to sit there a while, satellite, or a cellular modem. I chose cellular, and it's relatively fast, but if I go over my allowance - watch out bill!

Cell services really suck when the bill comes... I would recommend statelite, but I have no experience with it so...

Have you got it working?

If you want a comparative, download this program equals to watching about 5 different threads on this forum :)

No, it says it can't open it because of a problem - here's a screenshot for you...

[ATTACH=full]22294[/ATTACH]

The error message itself is greek to me, but I'm guessing it's because it's missing the QT libraries on your computer and I was afraid this would happen... In the meantime, try redownloading it and reinstalling it?

@Storm & Angels Mum are you using the mac build? Or are you on Windows? I know it will work on Windows because I spent half an hour going through DLL hell... But if you're using the Mac version and it's working/not working then it will be a lot easier to track down the problem...

This would all be much easier if Gigi had bought me a mac :P

The error message itself is greek to me, but I'm guessing it's because it's missing the QT libraries on your computer and I was afraid this would happen... In the meantime, try redownloading it and reinstalling it?

@Storm & Angels Mum are you using the mac build? Or are you on Windows? I know it will work on Windows because I spent half an hour going through DLL hell... But if you're using the Mac version and it's working/not working then it will be a lot easier to track down the problem...

Um... Trey? I'm currently working as a sub - and there aren't many teachers absent this early in the school year - I HAVE no money with which to buy you anything more than a candy bar! SNICKERS.jpg

Hey @BlueWolf is it working for you? It doesn't mean much that it works on my system because Linux is smart and knows I have the QT libraries...

Have tried it on my eee-pc (Lubuntu) with no success. "Cannot execute binary file" is all I get. Don't think it will ever run though, I don't think I have QT installed (and I never will since I have very limited space). On my main (Ubuntu) computer it runs fine. I only haven't been able to get a preview of the smiley in the listview. Not sure if there's a set directory for for the downloaded. Including the full path doesn't seem to work either.

A good idea for a next version would be to let it download the smiley automatically for you so you there's no need to manually download the smiley and inserting the filename. Just specifying the smiley-name and URL should be enough :)

A good idea for a next version would be to let it download the smiley automatically for you so you there's no need to manually download the smiley and inserting the filename. Just specifying the smiley-name and URL should be enough :)

That's easy for you to say... I've been counting the seconds for someone to bring that up... But I have sockaphobia... a fear of socket programming

But I didn't change it before I released the app, you just type the smiley name in the location field... I almost made it parse the link to get the smiley name, but then realized if it did that, then what if you had to rename one before you saved it because of a conflicting file name? I'm working on it now so that it does this by default, and there is a little dialog box that will let you set the name yourself...

windows version. I can cope with not seeing the photos I guess or I would have to go through all the ones I added yesterday and readd!

This is why you don't have the pictures... You _have_ to save the icon if you want them next to the smiley...

Are you on the mac build? If so you're gonna have to drill into the SmileMan.app /Contents/MacOs/ and save the files here <<

It's a much dirtier solution than on Linux/Windows, and since Apple has this stuff so ass backwards I'll push a new feature in the next version that let's you set the working directory... In the meantime enjoy what you are given.

In order to get the smiley to show up you have to save it there, and then type the filename in

"smile image location" field, as such "smiley-1389.gif"

I have no idea what you are saying! I can cope with it as it is for now I guess. and I did try saving it and doing it like you said but it didnt come up with the image anyways.

Im not being ungrateful either, im happy with it! (for now)

I have no idea what you are saying! I can cope with it as it is for now I guess. and I did try saving it and doing it like you said but it didnt come up with the image anyways.

Im not being ungrateful either, im happy with it! (for now)

I saw that issue coming up before you said it. I knew you wouldn't be able to add them later :-\

(but send me your index.txt if you want, and I can do it by hand?)

You have to save the image, in the same folder as the exe. Then ignore what the smiley image location field says, and just type the exact name you saved it as when you downloaded it, it will only work if it's in the same directory, and you can't point it anywhere else because it automtically has the prefix of /Documents & Settings/smileMan/and/this/is/where/is/appends/

Hope it was helpful to you :)

I saw that issue coming up before you said it. I knew you wouldn't be able to add them later :-\

You have to save the image, in the same folder as the exe. Then ignore what the smiley image location field says, and just type the exact name you saved it as when you downloaded it, it will only work if it's in the same directory, and you can't point it anywhere else because it automtically has the prefix of /Documents & Settings/smileMan/and/this/is/where/is/appends/

Hope it was helpful to you :)

um no not really I dont understand what you just said! :shrug:

and whats this mean?

I reckon I may just have to put up with it like it is, I can still use it.

um no not really I dont understand what you just said! :shrug:

and whats this mean?

Say for instance, you have a smiley at http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/biggrin.gif

You right click on the smiley and save that image. But the important part is where you save that image. You have to save it in the same folder as SmileMan.

Then, assuming the link above is to the smiley, and you didn't name is something different. You would type "biggrin.gif" in the smiley image location field.

• 5 months later...

Just a snippet of things maybe to come...

KGbDr.png

Easier said than done when your not using a high level language, but I did it! I had to stream the individual buffers into files myself, but it works!

It's a complete rewrite, I'm using Gtk (Or rather, Gtkmm, but it's just a wrapper so it shouldn't matter) which I find more comfortable than QT.

To use it, you just put in the name and link, the program takes care of the rest. So unlike the first version, this one is actually useful...