SmileMan *Alpha*

TreyRust

I introduce to you all, the alpha build of... SmileMan! A smiley managment application written in C++/QT for linux and Windows.

This little baby keeps track of all your smileys, and then gives you the link in a snap!

I'll come on here with the Linux executable later but I originally did it on linux and had to make a few tweaks and compile it on windows and I figure I might as well release it while I'm still on here...

So, to set it up, unzip SmileMan, put the file wherever (I would put it in your pictures folder) and then click on the .exe, then right click and go to "Send to" then desktop and boom, you have a convenient link right there...

Keep in mind! This is still very much alpha software and I have a ton of features yet to be released... So bear that in mind, this isn't even beta yet. But if you find an error, please bug me about it!

Ok, so for use:

When you find a smiley on the web, you save that smiley to SmileMan's folder, then copy the link in the address-bar, this is the hardest step.

Then you open SmileMan, you paste in the field "Smiley URL", then type the name of the smiley (i.e. "smile.gif") in the "Smile image location" field, and then you give it a name in the "Name" field. Then click add and it's there!

After you have done that in order to grab the smiley, select it from the list and the click "grab smiley"

If you tick the box that says "Forum Link?" it will give you the forum code. i.e. "[ img] bla [ /img]" instead of "bla"

Sorry for the bad formatting of this post... I've just been working on this all day and wanted to get it out there. I'll probably come back and edit it later with screenshots and what not...

Here is the windows file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileMan.zip

Here is the Linux file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/smileMan (if you're on linux, you don't need me to tell you how to use this...)

Here is the Mac version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileManMac

Feel free to post suggestion or to tell me how worthless the program is, your input it very much appreciated!

~Trey.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool idea, but useless to me, I'm thinking - I have a Mac!

Uh, well you could download QTCreator and compile it for me? I would love to release a mac version but I don't have a mac...

... OR you could send me your mac...

... OR you could buy me a mac...

... OR you could make a distraction at the apple store while I use one of the display computers?

1. Uh, well you could download QTCreator and compile it for me? I would love to release a mac version but I don't have a mac...

2... OR you could send me your mac...

3... OR you could buy me a mac...

4... OR you could make a distraction at the apple store while I use one of the display computers?

1. I assume that is a program? Really am not techie enough to have a clue how to begin, and quite frankly, am afraid of messing up my machine!

2. NOT happening, s0rry! :P

3. DEFINITELY not happening!

4. Keep dreaming!

1. I assume that is a program? Really am not techie enough to have a clue how to begin, and quite frankly, am afraid of messing up my machine!

2. NOT happening, s0rry! :P

3. DEFINITELY not happening!

4. Keep dreaming!

Seriously though, it's either you download a simple program, or I spend days drenched in building a cross platform compiler for a system I can't even test on... Which is something I hear is the stuff of legends, and I don't want to get involved in right now, I'm to young to be eaten alive...

It would seriously be much easier for you too... QTCreator wouldn't have enough access to screw up your computer... and you could remove it when you're done...

Ah whatever... If you don't want to do it that's fine with me, you're the one that's not getting a OSX build anyway :P

Seriously though, it's either you download a simple program, or I spend days drenched in building a cross platform compiler for a system I can't even test on... Which is something I hear is the stuff of legends, and I don't want to get involved in right now, I'm to young to be eaten alive...

It would seriously be much easier for you too... QTCreator wouldn't have enough access to screw up your computer... and you could remove it when you're done...

Ah whatever... If you don't want to do it that's fine with me, you're the one that's not getting a OSX build anyway :P

I'll consider it, but am not a technical person, as I've already stated! NOT my thing!

Alright, after quite a bit of dicussion (I'm glad I didn't make gigi do it, there we're complications with the delivery) and a lot of work, we have a Mac version!

A MAJOR thanks to Mike Mansell, whom this version wouldn't have been possible without. For putting up with my shenanagans and slaving his really (REALLY) poor internet connection over to download the gig of libraries...

I present to you all, the Mac version of smileMan!:

udKAR.png

When I woke up this morning I wasn't planning on making one of my friends run around all day to make a Mac version... In fact, it didn't even cross my mind until after I got done bugging @sutsibe ...

Anyways, I wanna get back to Royal Pains so here is the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileManMac

I introduce to you all, the alpha build of... SmileMan! A smiley managment application written in C++/QT for linux and Windows.

This little baby keeps track of all your smileys, and then gives you the link in a snap!

I'll come on here with the Linux executable later but I originally did it on linux and had to make a few tweaks and compile it on windows and I figure I might as well release it while I'm still on here...

So, to set it up, unzip SmileMan, put the file wherever (I would put it in your pictures folder) and then click on the .exe, then right click and go to "Send to" then desktop and boom, you have a convenient link right there...

Keep in mind! This is still very much alpha software and I have a ton of features yet to be released... So bear that in mind, this isn't even beta yet. But if you find an error, please bug me about it!

Ok, so for use:

When you find a smiley on the web, you save that smiley to SmileMan's folder, then copy the link in the address-bar, this is the hardest step.

Then you open SmileMan, you paste in the field "Smiley URL", then type the name of the smiley (i.e. "smile.gif") in the "Smile image location" field, and then you give it a name in the "Name" field. Then click add and it's there!

After you have done that in order to grab the smiley, select it from the list and the click "grab smiley"

If you tick the box that says "Forum Link?" it will give you the forum code. i.e. "[ img] bla [ /img]" instead of "bla"

Sorry for the bad formatting of this post... I've just been working on this all day and wanted to get it out there. I'll probably come back and edit it later with screenshots and what not...

Here is the windows file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileMan.zip

Here is the Linux file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/smileMan (if you're on linux, you don't need me to tell you how to use this...)

Here is the Mac version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileManMac

Feel free to post suggestion or to tell me how worthless the program is, your input it very much appreciated!

~Trey.

ok so I did all you said but when I click add smiley it doesnt show a pic of it like it does in your picture

Alright, after quite a bit of dicussion (I'm glad I didn't make gigi do it, there we're complications with the delivery) and a lot of work, we have a Mac version!

A MAJOR thanks to Mike Mansell, whom this version wouldn't have been possible without. For putting up with my shenanagans and slaving his really (REALLY) poor internet connection over to download the gig of libraries...

I present to you all, the Mac version of smileMan!:

udKAR.png

When I woke up this morning I wasn't planning on making one of my friends run around all day to make a Mac version... In fact, it didn't even cross my mind until after I got done bugging @sutsibe ...

Anyways, I wanna get back to Royal Pains so here is the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33322667/SmileManMac

How big of a file is it, Trey?