Pads??

I've noticed Kimba's pads are extremely dry and very very rough to touch, is this normal and or should i ever put anything on their pads ie a cream or anything?

I know they need their pads to be rough to a certain degree to maintain traction when running but not sure how rough if you know what i mean?

I've not put anything on the pads of my Huskies. Yes, they do get rather rough. The issue that we have here in Iowa, is if we walk on the streets in the winter, and there's been salt used to melt snow and ice, the salt will really attack the pads, so we avoid any areas like that. As long as the dog is not showing any signs of limping, or the pads are not so dry that they are cracked or tender, there should not be much that you need to do. Vaseline or petroleum jelly would be OK to use, but it would have a tendency to sit on the surface and leave tracks or pickup debris that otherwise would not get picked up. There are topicals made for dog's pads, that are used for hunting dogs, to help protect their pads from cuts and scrapes. Also, there are creams that you can use that help to heal injuries. The thing to remember, the pads need to be tough to withstand punishment. If you make them soft and smooth, they may not take the punishment intended.

Guest Gemma Riley

Our girlies pads are rough. You can get some paw wax from Pets at Home to toughen her pads up a little bit.

The problem starts when you ge cracks and they become deep and can let infection in so keep an eye on them. Generally they dont get these so she should be fine

Gemmsie

x

Kavik has an issue with his left rear pad @ present, the big one , it is brittle, sore, has a crack & sore area i am putting on vaseline this seems to helping . I actually took him to the vet as one area was really sore & he was licking at & it was looking very sore . Once the pads get better i will put on some paw wax i think. Ours have rough & hardish pads but don't have any cracks like kavik has.

Guest Gemma Riley

You could try bathing it in some hibiscrub solution (watered down) or some salt water. Ive had to do this with amber as she skidded on the patio and took some of her pad off! Numpty LOL

Its taken about a week to heal but Ive bathed it every other night to keep the nasties out :)

Gemmsie

x

Thanx sarah, i am soaking his paw in salt water , he dosen't like it though.

kavik's pad actually looks worse today, has another crack on it & it is looking very sore. we have decided to let the vet take another look @ it now , so will be seeing them tonight .

the pads shouldnt really be rough. They should be tough but not inflexible or they will crack.

When my dogs pads get rough, cracked or feathered I use mushers secret. It moisturises the pads which creating a barrier to keep dirt out of the cracks. Tuff Pads is also good to use to keep them in good condition.