Crate / House training

Okay everyone here goes:

We were doing really well with housebreaking for a while, but we had a little bit of a flood and the water had a chance to soak into the hardwood floor, and I think it has brought an old smell to the surface.

So, now Finn insists upon going on that spot, which happens to be in my bedroom. I've put down papers there to attempt to protect the floor and so that she does'nt get used to just going wherever she wants, and I'm really trying to stay on top of her about keeping hte bedroom door closed so that she'll go there and scratch when she needs to go, and then I rush her outside.

Problem here is that none of the doors in my apartment latch properly, and so she can push / pull doors open by the time I get home from work, and go back on the spot.

I've tried confining her to the kitchen at night, because at least that is tile floor and if she's going to go it's an easy clean up. However, she knocks down the baby gates no matter how tight I jam them in there.

So, I think I'm going to have to get a crate but can't do so until next week.

Does anyone have any suggestions in the interim? I found myself scrubbing a floor at 3am today and I can't continue to do that, and I know that every hour I let this continue is making it a harder habit to break, so I want to get on top of it.

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhelp!

Finn_-_Bath.jpg

Oh no :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hugs

Unfortunately I am out of ideas at the moment but I would suggest to give sarah's idea of pouring vinigar onto the old smell, or where she keeps going to and see if that helpd to deter her. If it does work just make sure she doesnt just move to another spot and do it.

To get rid of the smell mix 3 parts water to one part vinegar and saturate the spot. Next, blot it all up again. After its dried sprinkle the area with baking soda. Next stir cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide up with one tsp. dish detergent and drizzle over the baking soda. Next, use your fingers or an old brush to work the baking soda in. Once its dry, vacuum it up. If theres still a slight odour or a little bit of the stain left when done repeat the process. Hope this helps...