Slippery Paws

Hey All!

I'm just full of the silly questions today, but does anyone else's husky have trouble with slippery paws? Finn seem to be always tumbling and sliding, and I know that some of this is the puppy clumsies, but she has quite long fur on her pads and just can't seem to get any traction on the hardwood floors.

I'm open to suggestions, as this makes training a nightmare because she's always sliding from a sit into a down.

Thanks!

Kate

I have that problem too :) Our whole house is polished floor boards. You have to be careful because Micha has done a runner inside and slipped and hurt himself (his joint/muscle). I have to restrict his time inside now, I won't let him in unsupervised, if he and Daisy are playing, he knows inside = calm and quiet time, no running around etc.

There are a few things you can do to stop her slipping;

- Trim the fur in between the paws (if she's not a show dog), this can help prevent slipping

- Get a training mat or rug you can put down to practice sits etc on

- get some non-slip grip booties - they sound silly but after seeing Micha crying out in pain because he slipped and hurt himself I would not hesitate to use them;

http://www.fluppies.com.au/category5_1.htm

I haven't bought them but a friend with other spitz breeds (a keeshond and lapphund) who also have fur in between their paws has them for her dogs as they slip on her tiles, she said they are fantastic.