Racing Harness

sammie

We really would love to train Suka to pull, and we have been looking at the racing harnesses, my question is, at what age should we buy one to start training him in it. Obviously he will grow out of it quite fast at the moment as he is only 6 1/2 mths old, but we were told it is best to get him used to feeling a 'weight' behind him around about now so he learns how to pull it.

Also regarding the turning commands and teaching him them, what tone of voice do you use, do you shout the commands out to teach them or use the 'nice' voice whilst walking them about so they learn it that way? I can't think how best to put that question lol.

We are also getting him a 'team mate' in the not so distant future.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I've not had Kaiser pulling yet but I run a bit with him and shout the commands - still a bit hit and miss at the moment though lol Kimba's a lot better at it.

I use an excited voice i suppose you can describe it when training them as I want to let them hear it's a good command if you know what i mean?

I ran Kimba on a scooter the other month and he'd never pulled anything in his life - well - apart from me on a walk lol and he took to it like a duck to water

Thanks Saz, i use the commands when walking to try and give him some idea of directionality, and i have been using the same tone i do when teaching him a new command, excitable and high pitched...How do you pronounce the command for right? Can you tell me phonetically lol fortunately we tend to do a lot more left turns than right where we live lol!!

Personally I wouldn't use a very excisted voice. Just make sure its nice and clear.

I use the command "lets go" and "wow" to start and stop and if I want them to go a bit faster i'll say "pick it up" or "hike" depending on the situation

Commands really are up to you. What ever you can remember and use consistently.

With regards to when to start and buy the harness I would wait till he is at least 9 months old. Although since this will be in the middle of summer you'd might as well wait till the temps start to drop as you shouldn't be doing any training during the hight of summer anyway.

some stores give you measuring guides. snowpawstore has a very comprehensive guide and they also have the denefit of giving you a much bigger range of sizes other than small, medium and large.

I hope this of use to you.

from what i have read its not good to start pulling untill they are at least one year old. then they are fully grown and able to pull. that being said i would just start training to learn the commands Ha to go right. Gee to go left. Hike to run or pull. Stop to stop or what ever he pickes up on. this is just what i have been using.

what i have done to start my suka out for pulling seeing how she is only 17 weeks is teaching her hike. start from a full stop while out on a walk and say the command hike and start running i say it untill she is infront of me and then just run behind her. if they slow down just say hike again or just stop, and do it again. She has picked hike up in a day seeing how she loves to run and as long as her ears and tail are straight you are doing it right.

once that special date rolls around you can add a 2lbs weight to her harness from a sit position and tell her to come with a treat. once she is use to the small weight just gradualy up it. i have not personaly done pulling before so i would go pound by pound to see how she reacts. i would keep these sessions short so she develops good muscle and not to over strain.