Jealousy could be crippling your dog

Dunc

Jealousy could be crippling your dog, but hes too proud to say so

A DOGS life might be even more difficult than anyone realised. Scientists have found that canines are prone to a raft of complex, unpleasant emotions such as jealousy, pride and envy.

They hate to see their owners offering affection to other creatures, especially other dogs, and seem to suffer particularly badly when their owners bring home new boyfriends or girlfriends, perhaps fearing they might be displaced.

We are learning that dogs, horses, and perhaps many other species are far more emotionally complex than we ever realised, said Dr Paul Morris, a psychologist at the University of Portsmouth who studies animal emotions. They can suffer simple forms of many emotions we once thought only primates could experience.

Until recently, psychologists believed most animals lacked the sense of self needed to experience so-called secondary emotions such as jealousy, embarrassment, empathy or guilt. These are more complex than feelings associated with instant reaction such as anger, lust or joy.

The dog study is the latest into several species, including cows, horses, cats and sheep, which have shown that animals are far more self-aware than previously realised.

In the latest, Dr Friederike Range, of the University of Viennas neurobiology department, described how dogs feel intense jealously when they spot that they are unfairly treated compared with other dogs.

Ranges results, described at a recent conference, will be published tomorrow. Dogs show a strong aversion to inequity, she said.

Morris goes further. In research among dog owners, he found almost all of them reported jealous behaviour by their pets. The dog often tried to prise their owner away from a new lover in the early days of a relationship.

That is actually quite true because when me and antony sit on the couch next to each other Lex always comes and puts his head on my knee and barks at me! He actually went for antony the other day not really aggressive but like a warning im getting a bit worried about him to be honest! He loves other people though when we take him on walks and we meet people we know he gets a fuss off them and then hes happy but he isn't happy when antony gives him a fuss its strange because its not like hes a new boyfriend i have brought in we picked him up together so he has known him since we got him.

i agree... my wifes dog is a Shetland Sheepdog.. he's fine makes fuss of me etc etc but minute i or even our daughter goes to kiss wife good bye he will go mad has been know to nip my fingers in past aswell. also i he sits on my lap one or both of the girls will try to nudge him off me..