Fish Help NEEDED

Okay so I've had aquariums in the past...but I've never had so much trouble keeping pretty basic fishes alive...

They are my sons fishes...and as over two weeks they've all come from the same store I'm really considering going to a different store for fishes.

Suggestions...thoughts? These are not exotic sorts of fish...we're talking goldfish and Mollies...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mollies are warm water fish, goldfish are ideally pond fish as they can grow to 12" if looked after correctly. You shouldn't put goldfish with tropical fish as goldfish can become agressive, Also putting goldfish in warm water will shorten their life span. Did you know the average house hold goldfish can live for 6 years in a small tank. But if it's put in a pond it can live till 20? If your going to keep tropical fish I wouldn't have any cold water fish..

mollies are warm water fish, goldfish are ideally pond fish as they can grow to 12" if looked after correctly. You shouldn't put goldfish with tropical fish as goldfish can become agressive, Also putting goldfish in warm water will shorten their life span. Did you know the average house hold goldfish can live for 6 years in a small tank. But if it's put in a pond it can live till 20? If your going to keep tropical fish I wouldn't have any cold water fish..

HAHAHA!!! I think you might very well have something there...about the temperature differences I mean...going to leave the tank empty for a week and retest the waters then...I think I may be crossing gold fishes off the list of fishes for my son all together at this point...oyeish, the whole point of this was that fishes once set up are fairly easy to maintain....at least in my past experiences. Though I didn't keep mollies or goldfish...who'da thought the penny fish at the fair would be the harder ones to keep alive? I feel deficient at this point.

I think I'd be buying my fish elsewhere...

I love my goldfish, but they tend to need a lot of cleaning compared to tropical fish! With them liking cooler water, it's also probably not the most comfy tank in the house for plecostomus/algae eaters. Pond goldfish will eat at least some algae, but I haven't had much luck with this in my aquarium. I have a giant danio that I would give you if you lived nearer - but it would probably (finally!) die within a week if I did (my luck!)! Friends gave me 4 that were aging when they moved away, about 4 years ago. Three have passed on to a point under the Rainbow Bridge, the 4th is still hanging in there at something like 8 years of age! Several years ago, I tried adding some other tropicals in with the giant danios, and they killed them all! At this point, I'd really rather shut down a tank or two of the three I have... I just don't have the time to take care of them well. sad.gif

This is probably a stupid question since you had tanks in the past, but did you let the tank go through its biological cycle? Or if you have just set up the new tank did you do the daily water changes to keep the ammonia levels low? I killed so many fish when I started my first tank it wasn't even funny. :rolleyes: Started out with Goldfish at first too and they died within a few days and it was really hard to keep the water cool with the lamp on during the day. I moved on to a bigger tank and Tropical fish and it took me forever to get the tank established with all the bacteria. Not sure what size tank you have but its recommended to start off with some real hardy fish like the Danio that Gigi mentioned they are very harder and great for getting the biological cycle going. Just get 2-3 to start out with 1 will be enough if its a small tank. Here is an article too that explains it better then I can:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm

Another thing with Goldfish is that they poop a whole lot more then other fish so they are not great fish to establish a new set up tank cause the ammonia levels will rise faster than you can change the water :lol:. Also....since we are on the subject. I found out when I researched why my Goldies were dying that each Goldfish needs at least 5 gallons of water for space. Lots of people keep them in bowls and that is actually not ideal for them. I can't remember which country it was but in some country keeping a Goldie in a Goldfish bowl is actually considered cruelty of animals. :unsure: That is probably why they live a lot longer in a pond as mentioned earlier.

I spend a lot of money adding all kinds of stuff that was supposed to help cycle my tank and all it did was make it worse. When I stopped messing with it and just did a 25 - 50% water change every day or every other day it finally started to get better. Ones I had all the bacteria I did a 25% water change about every week or every other week and had happy fish.

I got rid of my tank when I got Zihna though....seemed like between Zihna, college, and work I just did not have the time and my friend really wanted it so I let her have it. :)

The only drawback is that after it is established and you can add more fish you will be stuck with a few Danios that you may not wanted to have! :lol: :lol: Especially if they live as long as Gigi's lol. That is one old fish!!! :)

it was a while back when i had fish when we fiorst set up we had to leave water for afew days with airstoneinto on and addsomeliquid to take chorine out

we never had the lamp in lid on untill the night time and warched temp all time there is better filters out there that will keep ur water clear and clean forlonger

buit over stocking over feeding and too big size fish for the tank will mess it up if u have lamp off in day and stilll finds its cooking the fish buy a lower power one

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this!

Have you bought anymore fish?

Personally I'd shop else where. We have a shop 2 minutes down the road, buy fish from there and they die pretty quickly! Travel 30 minutes to another shop and the fish there last for years.

Do you have any oxygen being pumped into your aqaurium? Could you have overstocked it?

we discover tonight that our knackered filter in our fish tank does in fact still work, Hubby ( an electrician to trade) was switching on the wrong plug!!!! poor fish were swimming around in water that resembled pea soup. So don't think we are the ones to be giving anyone advice. How they are still alive at all is a mystery.

something sorta on the same lines but not, if i can sorta do a mini, semi, almost but not really hijack on the post?? Ive just set up a pond with some goldfish in, and since we put some pond plants in, the algae build up on the sides and bottom has gone crazy! the water is getting cloudy and dark too... whats happening? :/

Water=used a water conditioner, followed directions on bottle...let tank sit with filtration system running for two days before adding fish.

PH=6/7ish on the color test strip

Fishes acclimation time: Varied between 35 min and 50 min

i used to set my tank up with all the pumps heaters and thing it needed and let it run for 2 weeks befor puting fish in lol

something sorta on the same lines but not, if i can sorta do a mini, semi, almost but not really hijack on the post?? Ive just set up a pond with some goldfish in, and since we put some pond plants in, the algae build up on the sides and bottom has gone crazy! the water is getting cloudy and dark too... whats happening? :/

My pond initially was perfectly clear, filtration system and pump worked fine and kept the water clear. I used to have very little algae, so the ecosystem within my pond was quite good. Since adding fish the algae has gone mad - quite simply put my ecosystem has been interrupted. There is now too much happening within the pond for my filtration unit to handle.

Simple remedies:

Barley Straw helps to clear up some algae.

Pond treatments - Green Away, Clear Pond, etc.

Ultimately I know I need a better filtration unit for my pond - but I've already pad around £1000 for what I'm currently using, and can see this running into another £1000 - £2000 worth of upgrades!

My pond initially was perfectly clear, filtration system and pump worked fine and kept the water clear. I used to have very little algae, so the ecosystem within my pond was quite good. Since adding fish the algae has gone mad - quite simply put my ecosystem has been interrupted. There is now too much happening within the pond for my filtration unit to handle.

Simple remedies:

Barley Straw helps to clear up some algae.

Pond treatments - Green Away, Clear Pond, etc.

Ultimately I know I need a better filtration unit for my pond - but I've already pad around £1000 for what I'm currently using, and can see this running into another £1000 - £2000 worth of upgrades!

yeah it seems to be since we put fish in that its gone crazy! im gonna try some barley straw i think, and some pond treatment. Have you any experience of which treatments work best?

I tend to use a range of treatments - adding them into the pond with a couple of days between them.

Green Away - is not a toxic algicide - it clears the pond water safely by clumping the algae together so that they sink or are removed by a filter.

Blanket Weed Buster - is the latest bio technology natural solution to the problem of blanket weed in ponds.

Clear Pond - clears dirty cloudy water & aids filtration.

Sludge Buster - contains cultures of biological organisms which actively consume organic sludge and so takes the hard work out of keeping your pond clean and healthy

Barley Straw Extact - is a totally natural means of resolving algae problems in garden ponds. Its unique formulation clears ponds of both green water algae and filamentous blanket weed. Bio friendly treatment. (This does the same job as both Green Away and Blanket Weed Buster in one go)

I usually purchase all of my stuff from HERE - they are very reliable and reasonably priced!

Main thing is to read the instructions and only add in the required amount, don't add in extra and expect it to work better - In fact it can make things worse! ALso when cleaning your filter try to clean it out in a bucket of pond water - sounds strange right! But it keeps some of the bacteria that has already established and is needed within the filter itself!

First of all, yes I would get your fish from a different shop.

1. Do a 25% water change on the tank - This is always your first port of call if you have fish dying
  2. Clean your filter - ALWAYS clean your filter in water taken from the tank, not fresh water as you will loose the good bacteria which can make your filter worse
  3. The best way to treat algea is by purchasing algea eating fish, and correct light control. The lights on you tank should only be on for 8 hours a day maximum. Remember you fish come from dark places, not a shop window.
  4. Try to get hold of some Myxazin (think its made by waterlife) and treat your tank with this. It will remove most bacterial deseases which is most likley the problem if its not the water condition.
  5. Have a good look in your tank to see if you can see any visible tissue damage on any of the fish. If so get some Melafix (made by API) which will help heal the wounds and prevent the spread of infection. It is also relatively safe to use a short time after other treatments as it is mainly a herbal mix based with water and tea tree oil.
PS: See, I can fix things other than code LOL

What size tank is it? What kind of filtration do you have? How long has the tank been up and running? Do the fish look healthy and alert when you first get them? Are there any signs of fungus, ick, or other diseases? Were the fish breathing rapidly? What temperature do you keep the tank? Is it well oxygenated? You probably don't have the tests for it, but do you know your nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia levels? How many fish were in the tank at one time and what kind? Need a lot of info to really help you out. I'm used to saltwater tanks, but I used to have good luck with fancy guppies and bettas when I was younger.

First of all, yes I would get your fish from a different shop.

1. Do a 25% water change on the tank - This is always your first port of call if you have fish dying
  2. Clean your filter - ALWAYS clean your filter in water taken from the tank, not fresh water as you will loose the good bacteria which can make your filter worse
  3. The best way to treat algea is by purchasing algea eating fish, and correct light control. The lights on you tank should only be on for 8 hours a day maximum. Remember you fish come from dark places, not a shop window.
  4. Try to get hold of some Myxazin (think its made by waterlife) and treat your tank with this. It will remove most bacterial deseases which is most likley the problem if its not the water condition.
  5. Have a good look in your tank to see if you can see any visible tissue damage on any of the fish. If so get some Melafix (made by API) which will help heal the wounds and prevent the spread of infection. It is also relatively safe to use a short time after other treatments as it is mainly a herbal mix based with water and tea tree oil.
PS: See, I can fix things other than code LOL

Great advice Marc! Yes the Melafix is some good stuff! I always kept a bottle handy and also added it to the water when I added new fish :) +1

Great advice Marc! Yes the Melafix is some good stuff! I always kept a bottle handy and also added it to the water when I added new fish :) +1

Good call as it can be used for anti-stressing