Hic-cups?

Naa-ney

Naa-ney gets hic-cups on a regular basis. She gets them daily at least two to three times a day. Sometimes after drinking/eating, sometimes after playing. The can last any where from a few minutes to like ten to 15 min. They don't seem to bother her but i was just wondering if any other sibes do this.

Maybe it's because they get so excited about eating that they forget to take a breather between bites. Actually... Colbie seems to be learning to slow down as she's eating. She'll take a few bites and step away from her bowl then goes back again. She doesn't have hiccups as much now..Hmm.. So maybe I'm right? lol I win! jk :D

Yes, dogs get hiccups. The diaphragm is responsible for hiccups in almost all mammals. This is a dome-shaped muscle at the bottom of your chest, and all hiccups start here. The diaphragm almost always works perfectly. When you inhale, it pulls down to help pull air into the lungs. When you exhale, it pushes up to help push air out of the lungs. But sometimes the diaphragm becomes irritated. When this happens, it pulls down in a jerky way, which makes you suck air into your throat suddenly. Some things that irritate the diaphragm are eating too quickly or too much, an irritation in the stomach or the throat, or feeling nervous or excited. Some cases of hiccups in dogs can last for days or weeks, but this is very unusual, and it's usually a sign of another medical problem.

Quinn was the same way and our vet said that some pups keep getting hiccups until a year old! He said it was normal and that puppies eat fast and sometimes swallow air when they eat. Nothing to worry about, Quinn is 5 months now and doesn't do it anymore -can't remember when he stopped but he's on raw feed now and he isn't gulping food down like he did with kibble.

He didn't like hiccups, so I would cuddle him. He would calm down faster and sometimes they would stop.