Blaze is being weird

ok so last night blaze kept trying to hump my mum (yeah i no lmao right) n he didnt wanna leave her alone it was about 10ish last night he had been fine b4 then and hes fine now so i dunno y he did this i thought ov the reason that Laura had with Lex thinkin she was 'in season' but i mentioned this 2 mum n thats not the case so y was he doin it? is he tryin 2 b dominate over her? hes never done it b4 so im confused any ideas? help wud b rly appreciated on this thnx

It's hard to say for sure without seeing it but often this occurs if the dog is pushing the boundaries to try his luck. Dogs would not hump humans as a hormonal or sexual act, it is more often than not dominance related.

What was your mum doing when he was trying to hump her? Was she sitting on the lounge/eating/etc? How does Blaze normally act around your mum? Is he respectful of her and does he obey her commands if she gives him one?

How old is Blaze again?

I agree with Smeagle, it would be difficult to say exactly why Blaze is doing this but most times a dog will hump a human for dominance reasons more than sexual. He also mounts your brother doesn't he? It could be that Blaze is trying to become leader withinn the household, but I could be wrong so dont quote me on that.

horny ;)

lol well that's what my trainer says, he says when a bitch is in season and when males are not fixed they get the version of what humans get:

horny ;) lol

is your mum the weakest link in the family, does blaze usally take the piss just a little bit with her?? with my mum the dogs will listen but will also sway her a bit but we got balto done before she got humped lmao >>> but it's pretty normal at his age and you can train it out of him...good luck

Seven months can be when a pup really starts to move into that adolescent age and they get that real 'selective deafness' where they become stronger willed and are less reactive to a simple 'no'.

Do not let him get away with the humping, the instant he does it give a gruff 'no', stand up and silently put him out of the room. When he is calm, only allow him back in the room if he sits when you tell him to. The more he gets away with it, the more he will think it is ok and the more he will keep on trying it!

It is the same for any time a dog tries a behaviour that is pushing the boundaries, simply pushing them off you is not going to teach them anything. They need to learn that doing what they did comes with consequences of some kind.

Think of this example; you let the dog inside to sit with you in the lounge room. The dog is not allowed on the lounge, but decides to try it on anyway, and jumps on the lounge.

Simply telling the dog 'off' and letting them return to sitting on the floor is only going to teach them that if they push the boundaries, they aren't going to lose anything and will just end up where they were before. They will be more likely to try it on if they think there are no consequences.

In the above example, telling the dog 'off' and putting them outside (or in a separate room if outside is not an option) will teach the dog that if it pushes the boundaries it will lose what it had before it tried - the dog will learn pretty quickly that sitting on the lounge room floor is a privilege and something that they can lose if they push the boundaries.

horny ;)

lol well that's what my trainer says, he says when a bitch is in season and when males are not fixed they get the version of what humans get:

horny ;) lol

is your mum the weakest link in the family, does blaze usally take the piss just a little bit with her?? with my mum the dogs will listen but will also sway her a bit but we got balto done before she got humped lmao >>> but it's pretty normal at his age and you can train it out of him...good luck

no im pretty sure pack order goes dad - me - mum then curtis and nathan (my lil bros) cuz curtis dont bother that much and nay gets humped

and thnx bex i will try that we wnt put him outside tho cuz he loves bein outside so that might b in his veiw a reward

Micha loves being outside too Nix, but it's different if he is put outside when he wants to be inside spending time with us.

You could also try putting him in a separate room to you. I would resist crating him (if you use crates) as I never use my crate as a punishment.

ETA: Thanks Amy :)