In need of some advice!!

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this website, and I need some advice about my nine-month-old Hubble. I would really appreciate it. I love him so, so much, but I am afraid he has some sort of aggression. Whenever he's laying down, or sometimes even just sitting, and you either step too close to him or handle his rear in any way, he speaks up angrily and kind of suddenly jumps. I don't necessarily know whether it's a growl, or him just kind of speaking. Either way, I know he's not happy with the handling of his back end. He doesn't snarl or anything like that. A few times he has put his mouth on my hand or forearm, but he doesn't actually bite down. He just looks at me and seems so alarmed or frighted. I've had him since he was just over eight weeks old, and I can't think of anything that's happened to him that would explain this behavior. Can anyone help explain this to me?

[ATTACH]6697.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2664-13585957490613_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Pack. Sorry you are having a concern with such a young Husky. Have you had him examined by your vet to see if he has some issues with his hips? How does he react if you approach him from the front? Could he be sensitive to touch in that area or feeling a slight amount of discomfort? It could be that he simply does not like being "surprised". Is this a recent development? Or, has he been this way for some time, say three months or more?

Our Zoya is funny like that sometimes. Not always, but if she is tired after a day of play, she simply wants to have her space and not have anyone invade it. She will voice off and then move away to a new area. But she is not aggressive at all.

Most of the members are from the UK, where this forum is based, so you should have more responses come tomorrow. You may get some other ideas and hopefully something will click for you.

Hubble is beautiful. I can see why you love him so much.

Welcome :) My boy Stevo has a serious issue with his genital area he will jump or snap at anything or anyone that goes near it, not me though, had him checked at vets but there is no pain they said it could be his primal instinct as in the wild other dogs go for that area in a fight! My older boy has arthritis and poss hip dysplasia and is very tender round that area, sorry conflicting comments here but i would recommend getting him checked out, believe me a dog in pain can be very dangerous!! Hope all goes well x

I agree that you should have him checked over by a vet just to be sure but if the vet finds nothing wrong with him then I'd try to desensitise him to getting touched in that area.. have him relax on the floor for a belly rub and then very slowly stroke him towards that area quitely praising him even feeding him tasty little tidbits as a reward for calm accepting behaviour, just do this for short sessions a couple of times a day for a few weeks and then he should get better. :D

yeah i was defo thinking of hips probs and anal glands.

Are you planning on getting him neutered? cos if you are then while he's sedated the vet can do an x-ray of his hips at the same time (saves 2 sedations).

Anal glands are sacks which secrete when they go to the loo, sometimes these can become infected. my cat gets them occationally & her temperament changes totally so i know when they are giving her pain :(

I defo think you should get these 2 things ruled out first.