Mouthing for attention..

Neo has always been really good with the whole mouthing thing.. and hasn't ever really been a mouthy pup..

BUT all of a sudden over the last few weeks he has been very mouthy when he wants attention..

Firstly he'll grab at your hands, to which we always say 'No' and then ignore him..he will then come back and this time it will be fairly hard, enough to bruise me *I bruise easy which doesn't help* .

We always at first say 'No' and get up/walk away, backs turned and ignore him - which used to work up until about a week ago - where now he will follow and jump at our backs.

He's fine in every other department but this mouthing and nipping has become more intense over the last week.. to the point where he has been in time out and i've tried the holding his mouth too.. which doesn't help as it aggitates him even more.

Everything used to work up until recently and wondered if there was anything else I could try..

I have noticed he seems to do it more just before he's due a walk.. and usually a lot calmer afterwards - but just wondered if there was anything else I could try because going on a walk immediately afterwards feels like i'm rewarding his behaviour..

He's 11 months.. a year at the end of November..

TIA

Nikki xx

ooooh batten down your hatches! Hes coming into his naughty teenage phase where hes gunna test pretty much ALL your rules and your patients! You might feel like your almost starting over again with his training.. keep firm out stubborn the naughty pup and you'll be golden he'll grow up and come out the other side and you'll be glad you stuck to your guns.. keep putting him in timeouts when he doesnt listen just 5mins or so in a room away from everyone else with no toys and he'll soon get the message! :)

Phew... that was our first thought lol.. he's fairly good with everything else although we have noted a lapse in concentration when it comes to commands - it will take a couple of times of asking for something before we get it..

I just wondered just carrying on with the time outs and that will be fine ?? we just want to make sure we are doing that bit right..lol

ooo be interesting to hear these replies as stevo does this to me mainly when i come in from work and he jumps really high too i turn my back too but as you say he jumps even more!! he only does it to me not oh! its when his jumps almost bite my face not good he is now teaching dodge to do it to me too!!!!! whos the pack leader lol???? :D

Yep just carry on with your time outs and you'll be fine! :lol:

Sars I know you said you ignor Stevo but do you completely ignor him till hes calm or just the first 5minutes? You must completely ignor him till he stops then you can acknowledge him again... if thats what your doing and its not working I'd surgest timeouts for Stevo too.. soon as you walk through the door put him straight outside till hes calm then let him in and if he starts then straight back outside. Hope that helps hon. :)

Yep just carry on with your time outs and you'll be fine! :lol:

Sars I know you said you ignor Stevo but do you completely ignor him till hes calm or just the first 5minutes? You must completely ignor him till he stops then you can acknowledge him again... if thats what your doing and its not working I'd surgest timeouts for Stevo too.. soon as you walk through the door put him straight outside till hes calm then let him in and if he starts then straight back outside. Hope that helps hon. :)

Prob is i have to walk throught them to get to door to let him out lol!!! He goes straight out just as soon as i can walk the 10 foot without being mauled :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

P.s pleeeeeeeeeasew tell me i have passsed terrible teens now at 14 months:o

Something that has always worked for me with jumping is to raise my knee and knock the dog down. It's not okay...I have a neighbor that is not even five feet and when Jackson used to jump to greet her he was over her head. As far as mouthing, I have always grabbed their bottom jaw when they try to get my hand in their mouth and said a stern no. It stopped really fast. I had a vet tell me once to stick a finger down their throat till they gagged. Didn't like that option, but will admit I tried it. Not nearly as easy as grabbing the open mouth and saying no. Keep at it.

Time out is an interesting thought, though mine don't follow the stay command and I fear locking them in any room.

Milla's been jumping and bottom-nipping lately, too. It's usually when she feels it's time to go to the park or time for her evening training/treats. I've found the crate training is very helpful for time-outs. We put a towel over the crate door so she can't see us, even though we're in the same room. When she's in her crate for other reasons, the "curtain" stays up so she can see.