Barf?

TAIKO

Hey everyone again!

Bare with me on this one... i have some dumb questions about BARF....i know what it means but i really dont know the details.I'm not sure what type of meat is good and esp what type of bones.the only thing i know is not to give him raw chicken, other than that im not sure what kind of meat i should be looking for. i know its suppose to be raw, but can i cook it a little? or i should just give it to him raw. please help me on this one, because i really dont want him to get sick. thank you

Hey everyone again!

Bare with me on this one... i have some dumb questions about BARF....i know what it means but i really dont know the details.I'm not sure what type of meat is good and esp what type of bones.the only thing i know is not to give him raw chicken, other than that im not sure what kind of meat i should be looking for. i know its suppose to be raw, but can i cook it a little? or i should just give it to him raw. please help me on this one, because i really dont want him to get sick. thank you

Hi Taiko

I highly recommend getting your hands on the BARF books written by Dr Ian Billinghurst - especially if you are raising a pup on a raw diet as it is really important to understand how to give them the right balance. I would buy his books "Grow Your Pup With Bones" and "The BARF Diet" as they have great info in them for puppy owners.

However, these are two good websites to get a general break down of what the BARF diet is about:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml

Everything you feed your dog in the BARF diet is fed raw. Never ever feed cooked bones, as they can be dangerous. Cooking the meat is not recommended either as it cooks the nutrients out that dogs get from the raw meat - remember dogs are designed to eat raw! Raw bones are the way to go - I feed chicken wings/necks/frames, lamb necks/shanks/flaps/forequarters, beef bones, whatever raw meaty bones I can get my hands on really! Raw chicken is great for them and makes up a large portion of my dog's diet.

Hey everyone again!

First off, raw chicken is a good meat to start with on the BARF diet (especially the wings, neck or backs) as its not a rich meant like lamb, beef, etc. Also Turkey is also a good meat to start with aswell. Im getting the impression that your worried about giving a raw diet because of things like salmonella. Dogs seem to have a natural immunity to these kind of illnesses and bacteria and I haven't heard of or seen any dogs or cats with these kind of infections either. After all dogs and cats would live on a raw diet naturally in the wild.

This link answer alot of questions which I am very sure should answer your questions about the diet http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm If you can I would also recommend that you read these books if you are thinking of going to the BARF diet:

Give your dog a bone - Ian Billinghurst

Grow Your Pups with Bones - Ian Billinghurst

The BARF Diet - Ian Billinghurst

Ultimate Diet: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats - Kymythy Schulze

gave both you ladies rep points, I dont know if it worked for you Amy,it said I had to spread some rep around before I gave it to you again, you ladies covered that well, Do you both wanna come work with me at barkkers?? lol

If I was in canada I'd gladly come and work with you and then my boys could play with sakora all day then. Canada, here I come

:wave:Hi!!!

Well i also do a raw diet and i have to say chicken and chicken bones are one of the best meats to feed raw, however with medium/big dogs like sibes it's recommended to give them things like chicken necks, and you can give them chicken wings and legs however from a large chicken, if their to small they tend to swallow them whole!!

Chicken is actually very sensitive to the stomach and is one of the suggested meats to go on first!

I kinda found it a bit overwhelming at first >>> i was told not to feed raw pork, i dont feed raw pork as it doesn't have any extra nutritional value they cant get from any other meats, also i was told that in the UK pork had more chemicals in it due to a virus scare...so i stay away from raw pork.

Here's on of my regimes for the day for alaska >>>9 months old:

First meal of the day:

3 chicken wings, 3 lamb ribs, one can of red alaskan salmon with olive oil

Second meal of the day:

A block of chicken and tripe (you can buy from your local pet shop frozen), and about 5 chunks of lambs heart >> i mix this in with some wheat germ, one egg (plus crushed shell)

i give this regime at least once a week as she gets calcium from the egg >> and it gives her a nice glossy coat, she gets omega 3,6 plus essential fatty acids from the salmon, and my girl is pretty lean so i try to give her tripe a few times a week for the fat >> she eats well but doesn't over eat ;)

Raw meats i use in general:

Chicken wings

Chicken legs

Chicken breasts

Chicken neck

Chicken back

Lamb ribs

Lamb chunks

Lamb neck

Lamb back

Lamb shank

Minced lamb

Ox tail

Ox tongue

Beef tongue

Minced beef

Turkey neck

Turkey wings

Mackerel

Sardines

Salmon

White fish

Tuna

<<< Usually i get the fish from the cans as long as there good quality and soaked in olive oil

Game <<during hunting season Ill go to the butchers and get the scraps from the game >>>which is free because there only scraps!

My girl has done so much better, her coat is glossy and soft, her teeth are white, good health, high energy, bright eyes, firm stools and her overall performance has just improved.

I think it is important for at least once a week for you to add a really big meaty bone like a lamb shank >> alaska being only 9 months never finishes a lamb shank but Ill still give it to her anyway, it's important for the teeth, it's the really big bones that clean the teeth NOT the small ones, so Ill give either a lamb shank or a lamb neck once a week for her...does wonders;)

Heres a great site that helped me, and put my worrying to rest:

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

And a book i found most helpful, it's informative, an easy read and not to long>> gets straight to the facts:

Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=work+wonders+-+tom+lonsdale&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=3176091213&ref=pd_sl_2uspmpnhcm_b

Other things i give raw:

Egg>>plus the shell

Veggies such as:

-broccoli

-cauliflower

-peas

-carrots

-spinach

I sometimes cook the veggies, for example if were having veggies with our dinner we'll save some for the dogs, however i put them (raw) in my juicer/mixer and make into a smoothie and usually add this with the minced lamb or beef, then Ill add some wheat germ, some plain corn flakes, a few eggs plus crushed shells and put it into freezer bags so all i need to do is defrost them and feed them in portions << most helpful on busy days!

So my regime for today is:

First meal:

Ox tail >> whole, she didn't quite finish it so i saved it for later, 2 chicken legs and 2 lamb ribs

Second meal>>which she hasn't had yet, she eats at 3pm and again at 7 or even 9pm, i find that when feeding raw it will fill them up for longer!!

The remaining ox tail, 5 chunks of lambs liver, and sliced turkey heart with plain cornflakes <<< I just get the cubes if heart and crack an egg over them, with some flour and then the cornflakes >> she gets fed raw outside and this way there will be little mess with the flakes ïÂÅ 

Even though she has raw i still feed her cooked things, like when she had the runs Ill add a little bit of plain boiled rice with her meals, sometimes Ill make some pasta for her, and as treats she'll have dried tripe, pigs ears, beef >> so her diet isn't all raw >>> she doesn't need pasta but loves it so Ill add some sometimes:o

<<< also she gets raw hide daily, rawhide shoes, bones << really clean her teeth!

Because my girl is so young i have to be careful with feeding organs like, heart, liver, kidneys and even brains >> theyre really rich and can easily give the runs, right now my girl seems to be okay with lambs heart IF it is mixed with some sort of mixer, like plain cornflakes, we gave her cows liver and she got the runs BAD, so we tried it again with the cereal and less liver and she was fine....have to take it slow:confused:

But other than that all of the above have given her better stools than when she was on kibble, nice and firm and hasn't had the runs in ages :)

Really hoped this helped and good luck with the raw feeding...let us know how it goes lol

p.s i would go easy on the egg >>> 2 eggs a week is fine, and i would read up on raw feeding to find out more, as to much calcium can cause joints to be forced together and not enough can cause stiff joints!!

wow, thanks Ice, that's very useful, I want to barf but still trying to wrap my head around it... logistically.

thanks and glad it helped somewhat!

know exactly what you mean, it's way better to go on a few sites, ask around and read a few books before diving in the deep end...it's a mind boggle the barf diet at first, but after a while it actually makes way more sense than feeding kibble >> it takes more effort but i believe the efforts are well paid off!!:D

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you everyone!

I cant really say that enough! You guys have answered all my questions and more! Your replies made me realize how little i really did know! Haha im really sorry that i cant give any advice, being the new and inexperienced owner i am! Soon hopefully there will be a new inexperienced member to the forum and i can one day pass down all the knowledge i have learned from everyone here! I really appreciate everyone going out of their way to send me links and even to post a reply! Thank you again! - tony & taiko

Thank you everyone!

I cant really say that enough! You guys have answered all my questions and more! Your replies made me realize how little i really did know! Haha im really sorry that i cant give any advice, being the new and inexperienced owner i am! Soon hopefully there will be a new inexperienced member to the forum and i can one day pass down all the knowledge i have learned from everyone here! I really appreciate everyone going out of their way to send me links and even to post a reply! Thank you again! - tony & taiko

lol no prob >> i think this is about the only subject i do know well:rolleyes: also just wanted to add, that i havn't given alaska lamb neck in ages >> just now her second meal was 2 chicken thighs and a lamb neck>> chicken thighs devoured in 5 minutes!!! but the lambs neck took about 10 mins, and she was really enjoying it, i allways mix it up a bit, i think it was a nice challenging suprise for her, plus it really cleaned her teeth:D im going to try duck next week and see how that goes, i think the richer the meats the more careful you have to be, when introducing lamb i had to add little bits with her chicken so not to cuase upset.....

plus i think with the veggies and fruit (only fruits i'll ever add is apple, crushed melon or soemtimes blueberries >> i will get say a handful of fruit and add it to the mixer) you really dont need to surve everyday >>> in the wild wolfs would often eat berries and fallen fruits but their main diet of course was meat, so as long as there are veggies in their diet, i wouldn't stress about it, i would say 80% meat and 20% veggies and fruit:

so out of the 7 day week i will only serve veggies and fruit about 2-3 days out of the week:)