Choosing the right dog breed?

Hey everyone,

Wondering if you all could give me a little bit of advice.

A friend of mine is looking to get a new dog. He has not had one for a while now , so obviously he needs to get back into touch with his doggy side before getting one and research, but at the same time, he should probs get a breed that isn't so intense?

I'm trying to be as helpful as possible with any questions he has on breeds, but i'm not the best with breeds.

So, from everyones personal experience from being around, or having different dog breeds other than husks, please feel free to offer up some helpful words!

He's a surfer, so wants something that will enjoy the beach as much as him.

Something obedient, so he can have it off leash at the beach. And it will sit and possibly wait for him.

Not a big barker.

Something with a calm temperment

and one that would be alright to be left during the day while he is at uni and it wont destroy the garden.

So if anyone has any advice on what breed sounds alright, then thanks in advance!

:)

Id say Lab.. they are bred to be water dogs so actually have tiney webs between their toes and short strong tails to help them stear in the water.. they are suropsed to be quite easy to train and so long as their trained well are loyal, obedient and usually dont have any issues being left, especially if their well exercised before their left.

Although they do have a tendancy to over eat and can get very fat and have all sorts of health problems linked to that so you do have to keep an eye on what they eat and excereice them well. :)

the only other breed ive owned is bingo - staffy x whippet - he is allowed offlead is a very good family dog - doesnt mind being left - the only thing he doesnt like is water but thats just 1 of his little phobias from when he was a stray i think he is stupidly loyal :)

rescue dogs usually are ;)

but agree about the labrador thing too - specially bout the good swimmer thing - i heard their tails are classes as otter like