Which head collar is best ???

I am really struggling to walk Storm now he is stronger and far more alert :( I did have a gentle leader for him which worked really well until a little yappy dog decided to try and commit suicide by running up to my dogs and start fighting with them, Storm was that desperate to get this dog he snapped it :( :(

So do I get another one of them or is there a better one out there ???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Nix says the Canny Collar is really good as it is quite padded across their nose and you don't yank their neck to the side as it holds their heads at the back - BUT - please take note of what Nix says, use a double ended lead and clip one end to his collar. We used a canny collar on Dino (who is not a huge boy) and he snapped the nose loop and escaped :blink: Also make sure you check out the Canny Collar website as it will give really good info on there as to how to measure your dog to get the correct size. We were lucky in that our local pet shop sells them and the guy let us try it out for size just to make sure we were happy. Good luck ;)

As Nix says the Canny Collar is really good as it is quite padded across their nose and you don't yank their neck to the side as it holds their heads at the back - BUT - please take note of what Nix says, use a double ended lead and clip one end to his collar. We used a canny collar on Dino (who is not a huge boy) and he snapped the nose loop and escaped :blink: Also make sure you check out the Canny Collar website as it will give really good info on there as to how to measure your dog to get the correct size. We were lucky in that our local pet shop sells them and the guy let us try it out for size just to make sure we were happy. Good luck ;)

How long did you use it for before it snapped ?? I will definately be putting a double end lead on him :) what do you use now ?

We had it for less than 6 months :mellow:

We use semi slip collars and bungee leads (Manmat ones) we got them from Snowpaw store. Dino still pulls like a train so I always let Mark walk him!

At the moment I am using a semi slip collar and a ezydog harness with a lead on each to try and get more control but its impossible my other half hates walking him because he just pulls constantly then lunges and runs when he sees something he wants and it takes about 4-5ft to stop him if he catches us unaware :unsure: I am not sure whether he would snap the canny collar now as he is SUPER STRONG :(

At the moment I am using a semi slip collar and a ezydog harness with a lead on each to try and get more control but its impossible my other half hates walking him because he just pulls constantly then lunges and runs when he sees something he wants and it takes about 4-5ft to stop him if he catches us unaware :unsure: I am not sure whether he would snap the canny collar now as he is SUPER STRONG :(

Have you done much training with him?

I would be tempted to go with a prong collar rather than another head collar if he's that strong, but at the end of the day no tool will work without the training to go along with it.

Hi Tanya

I just use plain old flat collars. I walk two dogs at once. The female never did pull on the lead but the large male was a born puller. And strong.

I used good old positive reinforcement - praise, ear scratching and the odd treat - when he didn't pull. It worked very well, but like anything, you have to keep reinforcing it. As well, I would just stop when he pulled and say "No!".

The other old trick of turning in the opposite direction and walking the other way when he pulls sort of worked, but of course we never got anywhere doing that and it really confused the other dog!

So far, when we get out on the trail and I slip the dogs into pulling harnesses, they pull strong & steady. I must admit to an irrational fear that one day they will run to the end of their lines and just stop - because I taught them not to pull on their leads! *chuckle*

PR is great for teaching new things and all training should involve PR, but when pulling has become a really established habit sometimes the handler needs a bit of extra help in the form of a tool. Of course that doesn't mean you can't also use PR with the tool - the two are not mutually exclusive. No tool should be a bandaid for training of course and any good trainer could train most dogs to do LLW on a flat collar but what the trainer can do is irrelevant if the handler doesn't have the ability or skills to do the same. We also need to be careful that we don't switch between methods and tools, because each time the dog learns they can pull on a certain tool or that you will give up with each new method the habit of pulling becomes more and more ingrained and harder to break, and the dog becomes that bit more resistant to training.

tanya blaze is BEAST for pulling! and hasnt managed to snap his, skyla chewed it tho so i had 2 get another (jules sent me hers cuz she didnt use it) give it a shot so long as you train him with it and keep him on a short lead with it you should be fine - i am with blaze :)

people dont like it but i use a halti on m ine....they walk nicely and use it alongside a flat collar as i still do one on one training with the rehomes to help them walk nicer...

as long as you are willing to take time out to train them to walk nicely then yes get another head collar

they certainly work for odin and blaze

Have you done much training with him?

I would be tempted to go with a prong collar rather than another head collar if he's that strong, but at the end of the day no tool will work without the training to go along with it.

I am trying to train him I have only had him since end of July he is just so headstrong when it comes to furries although he is getting better when he sees cats :) squirrels and rabbits are my main problem because he usually sees them first and is dragging me before I can control him

I am doing the treats and praise thing but he still doesnt get it

I was getting along really well with the gentle leader until it got snapped he was walking nicely but I only had it 2 wks before it broke

Dont think i could use a prong collar it looks harsh :(

tanya blaze is BEAST for pulling! and hasnt managed to snap his, skyla chewed it tho so i had 2 get another (jules sent me hers cuz she didnt use it) give it a shot so long as you train him with it and keep him on a short lead with it you should be fine - i am with blaze :)

Ok you have convinced me i will go and get one :) let you know how it goes :D

Hi Tanya

I just use plain old flat collars. I walk two dogs at once. The female never did pull on the lead but the large male was a born puller. And strong.

I used good old positive reinforcement - praise, ear scratching and the odd treat - when he didn't pull. It worked very well, but like anything, you have to keep reinforcing it. As well, I would just stop when he pulled and say "No!".

The other old trick of turning in the opposite direction and walking the other way when he pulls sort of worked, but of course we never got anywhere doing that and it really confused the other dog!

So far, when we get out on the trail and I slip the dogs into pulling harnesses, they pull strong & steady. I must admit to an irrational fear that one day they will run to the end of their lines and just stop - because I taught them not to pull on their leads! *chuckle*

I have tried turning in other directions and it sends him mental he starts grabbing the lead and shaking it :lol: Storm likes to pull me on a bike but Luna is a lot slower so walking is my only option atm dont like taking one out without the other :)

people dont like it but i use a halti on m ine....they walk nicely and use it alongside a flat collar as i still do one on one training with the rehomes to help them walk nicer...

as long as you are willing to take time out to train them to walk nicely then yes get another head collar

they certainly work for odin and blaze

Just had a look at haltis and gentle leaders and its the halti one i had :lol: not the gentle leader :rolleyes: and yes i was impressed that it stopped him pulling completely :D but it snapped :lol:

Dont think i could use a prong collar it looks harsh :(

They do look a bit like a medieval torture device but when you put one on yourself, you'll find that it's not actually painful - it's just a tightening sensation and they work well because they don't require you to give a big correction at all (in fact when used properly you let the dog correct itself) and unlike check chains etc the correction is applied evenly around the neck.

Many dogs can find head collars more aversive than prongs, I've never seen a dog put on a prong collar give the same reaction you often see dogs give when they are put on head collars ;)

Obviously though you use the tool you feel most comfortable with, it might be worthwhile investing on some one on one training with him so you can get a bit more guidance and help with your handling skills :D

They do look a bit like a medieval torture device but when you put one on yourself, you'll find that it's not actually painful - it's just a tightening sensation and they work well because they don't require you to give a big correction at all (in fact when used properly you let the dog correct itself) and unlike check chains etc the correction is applied evenly around the neck.

Many dogs can find head collars more aversive than prongs, I've never seen a dog put on a prong collar give the same reaction you often see dogs give when they are put on head collars ;)

Obviously though you use the tool you feel most comfortable with, it might be worthwhile investing on some one on one training with him so you can get a bit more guidance and help with your handling skills :D

oh right :D it does look like torture though :D I think i will go and get a canny collar first and see how that goes if not i am gonna need a trainer :lol: and a prong :D