My 5 1/2 month old Pup is starting to get agressive with other dogs

Hi all -- found this forum and it has really helped me learn a lot -- by just reading the posts. I now have a need to ask for help and what better place?

I have a wonderful 5 1/2 month old husky, that I love dearly. He is so precious and has always been well behaved, certainly not a dominant and not a submissive puppy -- pretty much in the middle and maybe even more on the submissive quite side. He listens well -- LOVES people, is great with small childern and just perfect. Until about 3 weeks ago -- now when we approach other dogs (on leash) he stops in his track and stands alert -- and then starts to grumble -- almost growl! I calm him down, say soflty -- No Diesel, stay Deisel and then he is okay. Sometimes, when walking him on leash on the beach, other dogs running loose will come up to him and start sniffing him -- he sniffs back and is fine -- and we then part. This happend 3 times --all friendly dog encounters. But then 10 mins later, other dogs on 2 occasions -- he wasn't so nice and started growling and jumping like he wanted to attack them (I held him down by his harness). I'm not sure if he was excited -- or he wanted to fight? I really can't tell when I'm trying to calm him down.

When I go into PetSmart to walk him around -- sometimes he gets the same way -- growling and leaping forward to a dog -- and sometimes he is fne. I can't figure it out -- but lately, he has been more the leaping, jumping and growling forward, rather than staying quiet. This is ONLY with other dogs. Diesel is wonderful with people, and kids, lets them pet him, he sits for them, goes down for them, he lets them pet him and feed him treats.

I am very concerned because maybe it is due to his becoming more masculine. My vet wants me to nueter him at 6 months and said it will calm him down. My breeder says I should wait a year. What should I do? To add to this, I have signed up Diesel for agility training and he had one class so far, he was okay. But that was two weeks ago and I feel as each week goes by, he gets more brave with other dogs -- never with people (thank god for that!!). I also signed him up for obidence class -- so he can mingle with other dogs at the local PetSmart -- in hopes that we can begin to train him to be more friendly -- or is this just part of going through that age and phase? We have two other dogs in the house -- he does great with them and plays exceptionally well.

Please advise-- am I worrying too much?

Thanks all in advance, for your help and guidance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has he ever been properly socialized with other dogs? he might just not know what to do. since he's also still a puppy he might just be overly excited and want to play.

we took embry to 2 classes at petsmart, it was great for socializing him with other dogs.

do you have a dog park near you that you could bring him to? It will help him a lot when it comes to getting along with other dogs. I'd definitely consider finding one to bring him to, we bring outs to the dog park every day for one hour, tires him out for the rest of the day.

Thanks for your reply. Other than the two other dogs we have -- which he does great with, he doesn't socilaize on a normal basis. But I have walked him in the park and along the streets and he has interacted with other dogs, while he was a 3 month, 4 month old puppy -- and he would do just great on leash. It is only the past 3 or so weeks that he is changing. During his walks now, he acts different. As mentioned, his first class at agility training - he did great -- with other dogs. This was 2 weeks ago, and he was also pre-occupied doing the training. I have signed him up for obidence class at the bigger stage (he knows how to sit, stay, come, roll over) but this will give him a chance to be with other dogs. I just fear it might not turn out well. I'm wondering if it is just cause he is going through -- puberty?

It could be that he's starting to produce sex hormones and it's making him act differently around other dogs. Do you have a spay/neuter contract with your breeder? I know getting dogs fixed is a controversial subject, but it's pretty common in the US to do it at six months, especially if you're not breeding or showing. Your breeder should understand doing what's necessary for the health of your dog.

It also could be that is simply how Diesel plays with other dogs. Do you have any close friends or family with dogs that can be guinea pigs to see how he reacts? Sometimes Lyra growls and raises her hackles when she meets a new dog, but she usually calms down after a minute. Huskies tend to play rough, so he may not be acting aggressively, but you don't necessarily want to test out that theory on a stranger's dog...

He also may need more socialization. If you have them in your area, puppy classes are great. Keep in mind though that not all huskies are great with all dogs. We learned the hard way that Lyra really cannot stand small dogs, even if they're just puppies. Big dogs are ok, though.

Best of luck!

I agree it's likely that hormones are kicking in at that age. Sometimes neutering helps, so I would talk to your breeder and tell him or her what's going on, and why you want to neuter him now, if that's what you decide you want to do. Was there a particular reason he/she wanted you to wait for a year? As a breeder, if a puppy's owner came to me and told me they were having a problem with some aggression at this age, I'd probably advise neutering soon. Your breeder might also have advise, based on what worked with Diesel's parents, siblings, or other relatives.

I think that the agility and obedience classes are probably a better bet for socializing him than a dog park, for the moment, because of the structured nature of a class and the fact that there are likely to be experienced trainers around to help you introducing him with other dogs. You are more likely to find other dogs out of control in the unstructured environment of a dog park, which could help reinforce unwanted aggression in your pup. Good luck!

Does this only happen on leash? When Loki was 5 months old and greeted on leash, he'd lunge, growl and bark at other dogs, but I knew he wasn't aggressive at all.

What I came to realize, is that when you have him on the leash- and other dogs, for that matter, the leash holder is controling their body language. In short, you could be turning their "Hello!" into a "Back off!" just by how you're holding them. If you must let dogs greet on the leash, make sure both parties leashes are VERY loose allowing for full body motion without any kind of interruption. Any kind of interjection on your part could change their language and start an unnecessary fight. If this can't be done, it may be best not to allow him to greet.

If it bothers you, carry treats with you and have him refocus. If it's really an aggression issue what you do is every time you're walking and see another dog, make sure he looks at them. As soon as he looks at them give a command like "Look at me", when he takes his focus off the other dog and looks at you, give him a treat. This will do two things: 1) makes him associate other dogs with good things like tasty treats. That way he learns to be excited or happy when he sees another dog instead of alert and 2.) Redirects all focus off the other dog onto you. That way IF there was any potential for misreading, the mindset is broken and he loses focus of that "threat"

It could be that he's starting to produce sex hormones and it's making him act differently around other dogs. Do you have a spay/neuter contract with your breeder? I know getting dogs fixed is a controversial subject, but it's pretty common in the US to do it at six months, especially if you're not breeding or showing. Your breeder should understand doing what's necessary for the health of your dog.

It also could be that is simply how Diesel plays with other dogs. Do you have any close friends or family with dogs that can be guinea pigs to see how he reacts? Sometimes Lyra growls and raises her hackles when she meets a new dog, but she usually calms down after a minute. Huskies tend to play rough, so he may not be acting aggressively, but you don't necessarily want to test out that theory on a stranger's dog...

He also may need more socialization. If you have them in your area, puppy classes are great. Keep in mind though that not all huskies are great with all dogs. We learned the hard way that Lyra really cannot stand small dogs, even if they're just puppies. Big dogs are ok, though.

Best of luck!

thanks for your reply -- I hope Diesel isn't one of the Huskys that don't do well with other dogs since I do want to play in agility with him -- for a short time anyway and there are many dogs where he will need to be near them. I don't have a nueter contract with my breeder -- but it is expected that I will not breed, so I do expect to nueter Diesel. I just don't want to harm his development -if that happens that I neuter too early. Again, Diesel is good sometimes and not so good sometimes -- so I do have a few dogs that could server as guinea pigs (under supervision of course) but I don't think that will prevent him from going nuts on another dog. I need consistency and maybe that is just getting him the obidence training (class starts on 10/31) and just dealing with his harmones, which I really think is the problem. I wonder how long that lasts??

Honestly if it is the sex hormones I would do what's best for your dog and neuter him. I got Embry done at 5 and a half months and we haven't had any behavioral problems with him, and it didn't stunt his growth like some people say it will.

Did he begin to act aggressive before you nuetered him? Meaning that is it too late since he is going through that phase?

I agree it's likely that hormones are kicking in at that age. Sometimes neutering helps, so I would talk to your breeder and tell him or her what's going on, and why you want to neuter him now, if that's what you decide you want to do. Was there a particular reason he/she wanted you to wait for a year? As a breeder, if a puppy's owner came to me and told me they were having a problem with some aggression at this age, I'd probably advise neutering soon. Your breeder might also have advise, based on what worked with Diesel's parents, siblings, or other relatives.

I think that the agility and obedience classes are probably a better bet for socializing him than a dog park, for the moment, because of the structured nature of a class and the fact that there are likely to be experienced trainers around to help you introducing him with other dogs. You are more likely to find other dogs out of control in the unstructured environment of a dog park, which could help reinforce unwanted aggression in your pup. Good luck!

Yes, I can almost confirm it is the harmones because Diesel, on leash, would never react the way he is now, and I could see the change. I have an email out to the breeder -- and will hope she agrees with the neutering. I don't want to cause any harm to Diesel's growth which is why I'm hesitant. Thanks for the feedback!

Does this only happen on leash? When Loki was 5 months old and greeted on leash, he'd lunge, growl and bark at other dogs, but I knew he wasn't aggressive at all.

What I came to realize, is that when you have him on the leash- and other dogs, for that matter, the leash holder is controling their body language. In short, you could be turning their "Hello!" into a "Back off!" just by how you're holding them. If you must let dogs greet on the leash, make sure both parties leashes are VERY loose allowing for full body motion without any kind of interruption. Any kind of interjection on your part could change their language and start an unnecessary fight. If this can't be done, it may be best not to allow him to greet.

If it bothers you, carry treats with you and have him refocus. If it's really an aggression issue what you do is every time you're walking and see another dog, make sure he looks at them. As soon as he looks at them give a command like "Look at me", when he takes his focus off the other dog and looks at you, give him a treat. This will do two things: 1) makes him associate other dogs with good things like tasty treats. That way he learns to be excited or happy when he sees another dog instead of alert and 2.) Redirects all focus off the other dog onto you. That way IF there was any potential for misreading, the mindset is broken and he loses focus of that "threat"

Yes, it does happen only when he is on leash -- which is almost all the time when walking him, even in the agility fundamentals we have all dogs on leash, but he has -- not yet -- reacted that way. Your comments make good sense and maybe I'm adding to the issue because I get nervous when a dog comes running up to him -- not know how Diesel will react (other dogs are off leash sometimes). I have given him treats when he acts well -- letting the other dog sniff him and he sniffs back -- and that might be helping -- but there are times when he just acts nuts -- and I need to control him. I guess early nueter is the way to go at this point, and contine with puppy classes.

no, he's never been aggressive with anyone before. i doubt very much it'd be too late.

Thanks -- I am really leaning towards getting him nuetered on 10/25 -- which is the original date we scheduled it for, prior to me understanding, or being told to wait a year. I'll have a week or two to get Diesel in a class setting to see if being off leash helps -- I'll report back.

Thanks all for your help and guidance!

Thanks -- I am really leaning towards getting him nuetered on 10/25 -- which is the original date we scheduled it for, prior to me understanding, or being told to wait a year. I'll have a week or two to get Diesel in a class setting to see if being off leash helps -- I'll report back.

Thanks all for your help and guidance!

Good luck :)

Yes, it does happen only when he is on leash -- which is almost all the time when walking him, even in the agility fundamentals we have all dogs on leash, but he has -- not yet -- reacted that way. Your comments make good sense and maybe I'm adding to the issue because I get nervous when a dog comes running up to him -- not know how Diesel will react (other dogs are off leash sometimes). I have given him treats when he acts well -- letting the other dog sniff him and he sniffs back -- and that might be helping -- but there are times when he just acts nuts -- and I need to control him. I guess early nueter is the way to go at this point, and contine with puppy classes.

My Loki was neutered at 4 months, so he was already neutered when he started acting this same way. It doesn't really sound like dominancy issues to me. Siberians are not territorial dogs. They have not "territory", which is why they run if not leashed. So trying to "guard" just doesn't make sense. The only issue I would see with sex hormones is if he was extremely dominant- which you said he is not. Again, you are meeting on neutral ground, so there is even less of a reason for him to react in a dominant manner.

Your reaction may indeed be sparking the behaviour as well. I think that all in all, with the information you've given, it's just a behavioural thing that can be trained out of.

My Loki was neutered at 4 months, so he was already neutered when he started acting this same way. It doesn't really sound like dominancy issues to me. Siberians are not territorial dogs. They have not "territory", which is why they run if not leashed. So trying to "guard" just doesn't make sense. The only issue I would see with sex hormones is if he was extremely dominant- which you said he is not. Again, you are meeting on neutral ground, so there is even less of a reason for him to react in a dominant manner.

Your reaction may indeed be sparking the behaviour as well. I think that all in all, with the information you've given, it's just a behavioural thing that can be trained out of.

Okay -- your comments make sense also. I'm going to take him later today, for another walk on the beach, on leash, and I will try to react normal, if a dog runs up to greet him. Hopefully, I can react quickly if he lunges. But I agree that since his demeanor has been so calm, and very friendly up to this point, his behavior can be trained out of him. The classes I've registered him with should help.

Make sure when you are interacting with dogs on the street (even when not meeting them, just passing) you sort of curve to each other as to not create any face to face confrontation. Some under-socialized dogs don't know how to properly meet/greet another dog as face to face is a challenge and with the wrong dogs, can lead to a fight. Having him neutered will only help if he's being properly exercised. It's best to sort of "wear them out" prior to neutering so the testosterone isn't building up... it's being released in running/exercising. Neutering a dog with pent up testosterone sometimes doesn't help. Although, he's young and doesn't have quite the amount an older dog would.

He could also not know how to interact with dogs properly. Are there no dog parks nearby? Sometimes it's something as silly as the leash causing the change in personality/attitude. You would be amazed how much our dogs pick up from our body language and our scent. If we get nervous or scared while walking the dog (as you may when you approach a dog and don't know how Diesel is going to react..) he may pick up on the change in heartbeat, increased sweat production, and tensing of your body and react to that. Try to be as calm and confident as possible. Also, you can ask a person who's walking the "offending" dog if they'd walk in your direction until he calms and settles without being reactive. Something as simple as walking together in the same direction can change a dogs attitude within minutes.

Make sure when you are interacting with dogs on the street (even when not meeting them, just passing) you sort of curve to each other as to not create any face to face confrontation. Some under-socialized dogs don't know how to properly meet/greet another dog as face to face is a challenge and with the wrong dogs, can lead to a fight. Having him neutered will only help if he's being properly exercised. It's best to sort of "wear them out" prior to neutering so the testosterone isn't building up... it's being released in running/exercising. Neutering a dog with pent up testosterone sometimes doesn't help. Although, he's young and doesn't have quite the amount an older dog would.

He could also not know how to interact with dogs properly. Are there no dog parks nearby? Sometimes it's something as silly as the leash causing the change in personality/attitude. You would be amazed how much our dogs pick up from our body language and our scent. If we get nervous or scared while walking the dog (as you may when you approach a dog and don't know how Diesel is going to react..) he may pick up on the change in heartbeat, increased sweat production, and tensing of your body and react to that. Try to be as calm and confident as possible. Also, you can ask a person who's walking the "offending" dog if they'd walk in your direction until he calms and settles without being reactive. Something as simple as walking together in the same direction can change a dogs attitude within minutes.

Wow -- thanks for the great info. I will certainly try to do as you suggested. Diesel does get a lot of exercise -- we have a huge yard and he runs and plays with the Brittany Spaniel hours during the day. I also started jogging with him for 1-2 miles at a time and do walks, so I don't think he is under exercised for his age. So, are you saying exercise him "before" we take our relaxing walks on the beach? So that he is tired prior to meeting other dogs? Or...are you saying wear him out before he gets nuetered?

Both actually. If he's tired or more relaxed when he meets other dogs it's much less likely for him to be reactive. Whenever i've brought another dog home i've taken them out for at least 1-2 hours to run off any "over the top" energy they may have. Which has always led to peaceful introductions. And if he's being sufficiently exercised the testosterone will be balanced in his system as opposed to boiling over which will make the transition to no testosterone easier and quicker.

Both actually. If he's tired or more relaxed when he meets other dogs it's much less likely for him to be reactive. Whenever i've brought another dog home i've taken them out for at least 1-2 hours to run off any "over the top" energy they may have. Which has always led to peaceful introductions. And if he's being sufficiently exercised the testosterone will be balanced in his system as opposed to boiling over which will make the transition to no testosterone easier and quicker.

Okay -- gotcha. Thanks for the clarity and I will try this out to see if it makes a difference. I will run him at the track where we usually go for runs, then right after I will take the relaxed walk on the beach. Prior, I would not do both the same day -- hope it makes a difference.

It should make a difference. I'd also recommend the book "control unleashed" it's a great book and was actually originally written for reactive dogs training for agility, but has great exercises that are useful for dogs not in sport training. You can order it off Amazon or E-Bay.

Just be cautious with the amount of strenuous exercise you give him as he's still a young boy who's growing.

I second Kristina's advice on wearing him out before you go to places where he'll be interacting with dogs.

Often if I want to take mine on a walk, I have to let him play in the dog park first and wear out, then he'll be calm enough to react properly to passerbys instead of lunging at them for attention. Being worn out, instead, he calmly walks by my side.

Be sure to reward his calm reactions with praise and/or treats so he gets the idea that's what he's supposed to do.

Okay -- your comments make sense also. I'm going to take him later today, for another walk on the beach, on leash, and I will try to react normal, if a dog runs up to greet him. Hopefully, I can react quickly if he lunges. But I agree that since his demeanor has been so calm, and very friendly up to this point, his behavior can be trained out of him. The classes I've registered him with should help.

This may be your problem. You're EXPECTING him to lunge and preparing yourself for that. He isn't going to lunge if he has slack. You have to trust him there. Even if something happened, he's on a leash and only 5 months old, so pulling him off before anything bad happened wouldn't take much effort.

When you're expecting the behaviour, the dog reads your built up tension and thinks that is how he is supposed to act. Because you're expecting it.

For example; I expect Loki to run away when I get his harness and leash out because he thinks it's a game. Because of this, I must be giving off the same body language when I want to take him out, even without a leash in my hands. So I have to consciously make the effort to act like I'm NOT taking him out. If I walk by him or grab him any other time, he's calm and lets me. But dogs can ready every little signal, whether you're aware of it or not. So in order for him to NOT react like you expect, you have to expect him to not react in such a way. Does that make sense?

I second Kristina's advice on wearing him out before you go to places where he'll be interacting with dogs.

Often if I want to take mine on a walk, I have to let him play in the dog park first and wear out, then he'll be calm enough to react properly to passerbys instead of lunging at them for attention. Being worn out, instead, he calmly walks by my side.

Be sure to reward his calm reactions with praise and/or treats so he gets the idea that's what he's supposed to do.

Excellent -- I really hope this helps until his hormones get more stable. I will try this are report back. Thanks for your help.