My 5 1/2 month old Pup is starting to get agressive with other dogs

It should make a difference. I'd also recommend the book "control unleashed" it's a great book and was actually originally written for reactive dogs training for agility, but has great exercises that are useful for dogs not in sport training. You can order it off Amazon or E-Bay.

Just be cautious with the amount of strenuous exercise you give him as he's still a young boy who's growing.

Thanks again -- and I will buy that book! Amazon is all out of copies, but will find it somewhere or through the used sellers. Thanks agian.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be your problem. You're EXPECTING him to lunge and preparing yourself for that. He isn't going to lunge if he has slack. You have to trust him there. Even if something happened, he's on a leash and only 5 months old, so pulling him off before anything bad happened wouldn't take much effort.

When you're expecting the behaviour, the dog reads your built up tension and thinks that is how he is supposed to act. Because you're expecting it.

Agreed, they can read more than we can even imagine. Most of the time we don't even realize what we're doing!

it sounds to me that your dog is growling in frustration to get to that dog that doesn't mean that he will do any harm it just means he wants ! to see the dog typical in huskies, so you must teach your dog in how to greet your dog, go to parks where there are dogs and let them smell and be with each other socilization is the key.

it sounds to me that your dog is growling in frustration to get to that dog that doesn't mean that he will do any harm it just means he wants ! to see the dog typical in huskies, so you must teach your dog in how to greet your dog, go to parks where there are dogs and let them smell and be with each other socilization is the key.

I think you are right! And -- to all that have responded, this is what happened the past two days:

Saturday -- ran with my pup (well, I ran, he trotted) for 1.5 miles and then walked him on the beach for another mile. He came across 3 dogs -- the first one -- he just walked by -- looked alert, but kept walking. The 2nd one, ran up to him (he was off leash) and the bulldog (female) started sniffing him -- he sniffed back, and then they started playing. I was SO happy! the nex dog, came up to him -- sniffed, Diesel sniffed back, then the little sucker snapped at him! Well, I pulled him away ...Diesel just stood at alert and I was able to get him to walk away without a fuss. Another big Lab -- who was off leash came right up to him, sniffed...and played. it was like I had another dog -- or I should say -- like I had my Diesel back! no fuss...no barking -- nothing. A few more times, we walked past dogs, he at times, looked alert, stood still -- almost frozen, then I coaked him to keep walking and he did -- ignoring the other dogs. I thought for sure that his reaction was due to running him a bit...but On Sunday, we were barley a 1/4 mile into a walk and up comes a little dog -- nice sniffing -- a few minutes later...another dog -- yappy and snappy! But Diesel just walked away. I'm in heaven! Am hoping maybe it was because he wasn't getting out to see dogs on a regluar basis, now I am doing this on purpose so he can get exposure. next week we have agility class then the following week starts his obidence. I will keep working with him and feel he is on his way.

Thanks to all for your support and your tips, guidance and suggestions. Happy happy joy joy!