Pulling

Hey i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the issue. When we take fleury out to go potty and for walks she pulls a lot, not so much for me but more for my girlfriend, no i dont know if its just becasue im stronger than she is or if she really is pulling harder. Fleury is currently 7 months, and i was wondering what i can start to do to reduce her pulling, and do those ezdog leashes work well for this or just well in general?

have you tried training her to walk to heal ? when she pulls walk the opposite direction after youve done that for a while you can then add the command 'heel' once she gets near your leg treat her and give her praise and she will soon learn that walking to heel gets her praise and treats n pulling doesnt get her anywhere

To heel train a dog the best method Iv come across is to have a tastey treat in your other hand so the dog knows you have it and stays at your side looking at you and all the while praiseing for "good heel" then giving the treat, so walk a few feet and treat another few feet and treat and gradually walk further and further before they get the treat. Have your girlfriend do this for a week every day and see if it works.

Ezy dog do a number of different leashes Im assuming you mean the ones with bungee in them? These are great for lessening the jerk when she pulls they arnt going to stop her pulling tho and the down side is its difficult to pull her back to correct her as she cant feel the pull either!

Hi,

I was wondering the same. I tried the going in different directions but as soon as I walked the other way she pulled that way so I was pretty much just standing still in one place pulling on the leash. :lol: I was thinking that maybe she is still to little. I will try out the treat method. See if that will work.

I also ordered the easy walk harness for both my dogs yesterday so I should get them this week (hopefully) I will let you know if that worked. ;)

a back pack can help (she's too young to put weights in it yet but she can start getting used to it. It gives them a 'job'. They vary in quality so look into them if this is something you want to consider. I defo made this mistake. Go for one which the 'bags' are attached to the straps so they dont 'flap' when the dog walks.

I choose not to walk to heel as i want my boy to pull...thats what huskys are breed for & we scooter rig ours!!! So it helps him get an extra good work out as well as me. a padded walking belt and a long lead is by far the easiest for me. 27KGs of arm pulling is not pleasurable.

You also may find that your girlfriend walks slower than you which is why it feels as though the dog is pulling more??

Hi,

I was wondering the same. I tried the going in different directions but as soon as I walked the other way she pulled that way so I was pretty much just standing still in one place pulling on the leash. :lol: I was thinking that maybe she is still to little. I will try out the treat method. See if that will work.

I also ordered the easy walk harness for both my dogs yesterday so I should get them this week (hopefully) I will let you know if that worked. ;)

once she pulls the other way turn around and walk back the other way and again and again and again she will sooon learn :)

Nix,

I saw that technique on the show Me or the Dog with Victoria Stilwell. I love her!!! She made it look sooooooooo easy when she did it. LOL. Not so easy when I do it LMAO.

Alex,

I also found this video....

http://www.ehow.com/video_2349082_teach-husky-heel.html

I watched a few of the others as well and they are pretty good since they are specifically for husky training. :)

Clair,

When is a good age to start putting on a empty back pack? That would be sooooooo great.....she could carry our water bottles and stuff while on longer walks when she gets older. I assume I should wait until she is fully grown to put a back pack on her? Let me know.....love the idea.

to be honest i really dont know but if it was my pup i would be happy to put on from 6/7mths but empty only so they get used to it - im sure their is lots of guidance online....but as its a husky this is what they are meant to do. Then gradually put stuff in starting with doggy poo bags and build up etc. Weight needs to be evenly distributed especially when carrying a heavier load (later on). yep in time they can carry their own water & a foldable travel bowl etc - again it needs to be put in small containers and even on their body. I used ankle weights - the ones you would use for aerobics cos i know they are exactly the same weight.

I have used on all my foster dogs (apart from the one i currently have who would be far too scared of me putting it on him) and have all responded great.

I bought this one - but i dont like it

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/large-dog-back-pack-by-options-13707

this is much better as it wraps/supports around the body much better

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/3-peaks-terrain-pack-dog-harness-30817?cm_re=barilliance-_-cross%20sell-_-product%20details

im sure it will help

to be honest i really dont know but if it was my pup i would be happy to put on from 6/7mths but empty only so they get used to it - im sure their is lots of guidance online....but as its a husky this is what they are meant to do. Then gradually put stuff in starting with doggy poo bags and build up etc. Weight needs to be evenly distributed especially when carrying a heavier load (later on). yep in time they can carry their own water & a foldable travel bowl etc - again it needs to be put in small containers and even on their body. I used ankle weights - the ones you would use for aerobics cos i know they are exactly the same weight.

I have used on all my foster dogs (apart from the one i currently have who would be far too scared of me putting it on him) and have all responded great.

I bought this one - but i dont like it

http://www.petsathom...y-options-13707

this is much better as it wraps/supports around the body much better

http://www.petsathom...oduct%20details

im sure it will help

Thanks for the info :) I will google it a bit and see what else I can find out! The red bag looks really great!! :)

• 3 weeks later...