I'm fostering a Husky and REALLY need HELP

This boy was found laying in the middle of a highway around the Nashville, TN area along with another male and a female. The female was dead on the road :( The two boys were lying next to her and refused to leave until a generous man picked her up and took her into his garage. The boys followed. I agreed to foster them. The one boy was very vocal and continued to beat on the boy I have now. Since we neutered them a week ago, we have separated them and the dominant male has become a gentle soul. His foster has him in the house and he has proven to be housebroke and is using a doggie door and is very well behaved. My boy on the other hand has serious issues. He stopped eating completely for 4 days. Once the other boy left, he has started eating for me. I have gotten him to let me touch him and pet him as long as he is in his crate. I do have him in the house, but he hates coming out of the crate. I have to literally pick him up to take him outside. He will pee on himself as soon as he gets out, he is so nervous. I have put a harness on him to try and walk him, but he is absolutely horrified of a leash and can literally chew thru a slip leash in seconds. It is impossible to walk him to potty. I don't think he has pooped in 2 days except for the little bits that fall out when he urinates on himself when I carry him outside. This poor guy...I just don't know what to do. Today I did walk him, well not walk, he flipped and jumped the whole time. I petted him and we "talked" and I showed him the leash wasn't going to hurt him for about 10 minutes we just sat in the middle of the lawn (his hind legs were shaking the whole time). Then I walked him back to the door and he actually walked! even tho he still tried to eat the leash (haha, I had a metal one on him). Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might help this guy with his horrid fear? I can't even imagine what he has been thru or how long he (they) were running and why his probable litter mate is so "normal". Thanks for ANY help!

Goodness, how sad. Thank you so much for taking him in. I would think that the only way he will be able to overcome this paralyzing fear is with consistent love. It will be vital that you carry on doing what you are doing and never become impatient, irritated or angry with him. Sitting and talking to him softly will help and if he allows it, maybe stroking/petting him softly and slowly. It will probably be a very long process, and the fact that he has been separated from his pack must be traumatizing for him.

I am sure there are members who will have better advice for you, as I have never had to deal with something like this, but thank you again for trying to help him.

omg the poor things :( heartbreaking.

he needs to learn that not all humans are bad :( just keep up loving him and talking gently with him, stroking him and letting him know he's good. i'm sure he'll come around, it will just take time and patience.

so glad you took him :) he knows what could have happened

This boy was found laying in the middle of a highway around the Nashville, TN area along with another male and a female. The female was dead on the road :( The two boys were lying next to her and refused to leave until a generous man picked her up and took her into his garage. The boys followed. I agreed to foster them. The one boy was very vocal and continued to beat on the boy I have now. Since we neutered them a week ago, we have separated them and the dominant male has become a gentle soul. His foster has him in the house and he has proven to be housebroke and is using a doggie door and is very well behaved. My boy on the other hand has serious issues. He stopped eating completely for 4 days. Once the other boy left, he has started eating for me. I have gotten him to let me touch him and pet him as long as he is in his crate. I do have him in the house, but he hates coming out of the crate. I have to literally pick him up to take him outside. He will pee on himself as soon as he gets out, he is so nervous. I have put a harness on him to try and walk him, but he is absolutely horrified of a leash and can literally chew thru a slip leash in seconds. It is impossible to walk him to potty. I don't think he has pooped in 2 days except for the little bits that fall out when he urinates on himself when I carry him outside. This poor guy...I just don't know what to do. Today I did walk him, well not walk, he flipped and jumped the whole time. I petted him and we "talked" and I showed him the leash wasn't going to hurt him for about 10 minutes we just sat in the middle of the lawn (his hind legs were shaking the whole time). Then I walked him back to the door and he actually walked! even tho he still tried to eat the leash (haha, I had a metal one on him). Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might help this guy with his horrid fear? I can't even imagine what he has been thru or how long he (they) were running and why his probable litter mate is so "normal". Thanks for ANY help!

Do you have a dog already that the foster boy could mix with and learn from? If hes been with the other dogs he is probably terrified at now being alone without them.

I would stop picking him up. I know you want to get him outside but in the longrun it will do more harm than good. One of the best ways to get a nervous dog to do stuff for you is to ignore it 99% of the time. Don't speak to him, don't look at him, do not touch him at all. I know you want to make friends with him, but at the moment your just scaring the poor lad silly because he doesn't know whats going on.

Dogs are social animals. He will eventually want to come to you. Especially if your ignoreing him. He needs to know your not going to do anything to him at all. Once he learns you have no intrest in his movements or his actions then he will start to come out of the crate and explore on his own.

Cook up some chicken and some beef and get some tuna. Put it outside his crate and let him come out on his own to get it. Set up another crate if you can so that he can go from one crate to the other and know its safe to come out because there is another place to go if he feels he cant get back to his first crate.

Spend time sitting with your back to him. If hes in the crate then sit next to the side of it (never the door) with your back to him and say nothing. He may just hide from you, but more than likley he will want to investigate you. You'll probably get some sniffing of the back of your head. You can try gently talking to him after 15mins or so of sitting there is a very gentle tone. Say things like hi puppy, good puppy as they are common things he hopefully heard while he was small and may help him make a connection with you.

Toileting - with a dog like this I would personnaly let him go where he wants until you can get him to follow you outside. If your garden is fully secure and safe I would leave the back door open so he can get out of his own accord. No dog wants to go in its crate, so hopefully he will come out to toilet. Making him go outside really isn't good for him at the moment until he starts to trust you. When you can handle him (get a lead on) without him panicing then you can lead him out of the house. By picking him up your putting him in a totally un natural position so he really needs to be able to get out on his own.

Hand feeding is good but really you need him to come to you and take a bit off the floor next to you. A dog that can approach you and take food without looking at you is a dog that is making progress.

If you dont have a calm dog of your own for this lad to mix with I's see if you can find a friend with one. The dog needs to be one that wont chase your guy into his crate, but draw him out of it by being inviting and intresting without being intrusive. Probably something over 5 that like dogs but doesn't go out of its way to meet them.

Hope that helps a bit. If you haven't done dog rehab before i'd try to get a good posative reinforcement only behavioursit in to help you. Once they have shown you what to do to help this guy you'll be ableto continue on your own.

What a heartbreaking story :( , well done for taking him in. It sounds like he has been through a horrendous experiance and it will probably take time, patience and perseverance from yourself to help him. There are many more experienced members on here than myself who will give you excellent advice.

Good luck

(I just posted on the other thread before I saw this one :rolleyes: )