Now i've seen it all

Dunc

Pay the obese to take a walk: Now the nanny state offers rewards just for losing weight in 30m health drive

Overweight parents will be paid to walk their children to school under plans to tackle the obesity epidemic.

Those who attend keep-fit classes, weight-loss clubs or even go for a run in the park would also be eligible for rewards.

They will collect points on supermarket-style loyalty cards which would be redeemed against healthy food, sports equipment or gym sessions.

The scheme is part of a 30million drive to improve health which will begin next year in Manchester, one of England's unhealthiest cities. If successful, it could be rolled out nationwide.

However, critics believe that the payments are tantamount to bribery - and that the scheme is open to fraud.

Under the proposals, men and women will be invited to join exercise classes or slimming clubs.

Points would be given just for turning up, but participants can accrue more depending on how much weight they lose.

Walking children to school would count, as would using public transport, because it involves a walk to the bus stop or train station.

It is thought machines could be placed in schools and at stations so parents and commuters could swipe their cards, although details have yet to be finalised.

Going for a run could also be an earner. Joggers would swipe their cards at machines in parks and collect points given in accordance with the distance run.

Buying healthy food from chosen retailers would also earn rewards.

These could be redeemed against products and services such as sports equipment, more healthy food and free places on children's activity schemes.

Matthew Elliot, of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: 'This whole scheme is so dubious because there is clearly potential for abuse and fraud.

'It would be so easy for someone to hop out of their car for a second to go and swipe their card, enabling them to claim they had walked to school.

'Healthy people pay quite enough tax already without having to bribe the obese or put cash into the pockets of fraudsters.'

Mahood

'Carry me! Carry me!'

Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said: 'In many ways this is too little, too late. The Government should have acted years ago. However, you have to start somewhere and these are certainly the right kind of schemes.'

Colin Waine from the charity said: 'I support schemes like the one in Manchester but would ask that it be carefully evaluated and only continued if it demonstrates results and changes behaviours.'

Other areas involved in the Healthy Towns initiative are Dudley, Halifax, Sheffield, Tower Hamlets in London, Thetford in Norfolk, Middlesbrough, Tewkesbury and Portsmouth.

Projects include an award scheme encouraging restaurants and shops along the road to the site of the 2012 Olympics stadium, in East London, to stock more healthy food.

In Halifax, social housing tenants will be encouraged to join a grow-your-own fruit and vegetable scheme - and Sheffield will become a 'breastfeeding-friendly city'.

Dudley is to turn parks into family health zones, while Middlesbrough has implemented junior trainer plans to encourage children to exercise and urban farming.

Tewkesbury is promoting urban gardening and Portsmouth and Thetford are motivating residents to run and cycle.

The Department of Health also announced that it had linked up with supermarkets such as Tesco and Asda to run promotions encouraging healthy eating.

In the New Year, ITV will start a campaign encouraging viewers to pledge to lose weight. And Pepsi will advertise the benefits of sport.

Health Secretary Alan Johnson

Health Secretary Alan Johnson says obesity is the biggest health challenge we face

In the North East, branches of stores such as Spar, Londis and Costcutter will install chiller units and sell discounted fruit and vegetables.

But Norman Lamb, the LibDem health spokesman, dismissed the schemes as little more than 'time-wasting gimmicks'.

Obesity is thought to represent a serious threat to our health in the future.

Experts say that by 2050 at least 60 per cent of the UK population will be obese - so fat their health is in danger.

Manchester has the lowest male life expectancy in England, and the fourth lowest for women. The 4.6million loyalty-card scheme, run by a primary care trust, will begin in October. All residents will be eligible.

Laura Roberts, chief executive of NHS Manchester, said obesity cost the city more than 166million every year.

'Unfortunately people in Manchester have among the poorest health in the country.

'There are lots of reasons, but the simple, everyday decisions we all make about food and exercise contribute hugely to our biggest health problems, including heart disease and cancer.

'Points4Life is based on tried and tested techniques from some of the world's most successful companies, the difference being that we're not looking for customers to be loyal to a particular store, but to help people make healthier choices.'

Health Secretary Alan Johnson said: 'Obesity is the biggest health challenge we face - every year 9,000 people die prematurely and a third of 11 and 12-year-olds are overweight.

'If we don't take action now we will condemn our children to reduced life expectancy. That's why we are aiming to create a lifestyle revolution that will help families to eat well, move more and live longer.'

THE 'BREAST IS BEST' PATROL

Labour is to recruit breastfeeding 'champions' to teach new mothers of the benefits.

Studies have shown that children who were breastfed are much less likely to grow up overweight than those fed on formula milk.

Under the scheme, recruits will be sent out to encourage those in deprived areas to take it up.

The champions themselves would live in deprived areas, such as council estates, where fewer women tend to breastfeed, although mothers from more affluent parts would also be able to visit them.

The scheme is designed to enable new mothers to receive support and advice in their community, rather than having to rely on health visitors. Based in Sheffield, it would also help the city become ' breastfeeding friendly'.

I've got a better idea ... how about start takin money of em and then the fat bastards wont be able to afford to eat as much

hahaha i was just thinkin of something like that i was just thinking that if you give them more money its a no brainer what they are going to go and spend it on!! i think they should give them all huskies and tell them they need 4 walks a day that should get them fit!! lol

hahaha i was just thinkin of something like that i was just thinking that if you give them more money its a no brainer what they are going to go and spend it on!! i think they should give them all huskies and tell them they need 4 walks a day that should get them fit!! lol

lol lol lol that's a great idea :D

please what get more women's brains wish i could but its these males you see they think they know it all and they don't lol

Most males have forgot more then most females will ever know and thats a fact unless you talking soaps and girly crap ;)