Temporary Husky care idea

davidjk

so i had an idea that i think could be a good idea. let me know what you think.

lisas dad is curently unwell and in hospital, which leaves me to do a lot of stuff (im not complaining). and she said thank you for taking up the slack (comence smugness) but i wondered if i was unable to take up the slack who else could help.

so maybe an idea for the rescue asociations to offer temporary care if things get to much for people for a month or so untill things calm down.

maybe they already do it, and it could be advertised so people are aware

i think people would be willing to help out. i know both i and my wife would be willing to help out anyone on here for a few weeks or longer if needed.

that would take care of one worry for people with temporary stressful circumstances

hopefully i am making sense

so maybe an idea for the rescue asociations to offer temporary care if things get to much for people for a month or so untill things calm down.

maybe they already do it, and it could be advertised so people are aware

I think it is a lovely idea and in an ideal world it would be something that SHWA would love to get involved in. In reality, however, we are so completely snowed under with people wanting to permanently rehome their dogs, that we just don't have the time, the staff nor the resources to even think about it. So far this month we have had over 30 requests to rehome dogs, That is on top of those already in foster care (all our fosterers are full) and those already on our waiting list to come in when foster places become available.

The rescue crisis is so great at the moment that it has to be our only priority.

Mick

I think it is a lovely idea and in an ideal world it would be something that SHWA would love to get involved in. In reality, however, we are so completely snowed under with people wanting to permanently rehome their dogs, that we just don't have the time, the staff nor the resources to even think about it. So far this month we have had over 30 requests to rehome dogs, That is on top of those already in foster care (all our fosterers are full) and those already on our waiting list to come in when foster places become available.

The rescue crisis is so great at the moment that it has to be our only priority.

Mick

Ditto waht Mick said- we not only have fosters, but kennels that allow us to board at discounted rates. With fosters full and dogs in kennels, the expense was over $30.000 last year for kennels alone. Most rescue orgs. would probly be about the same.

This all paid thru donations to the rescue.

Not a bad idea if there weren't so many re home/rescues.

Mick

its a real shame that things are this bad. i will speak to my wife about the posibilty of fostering.

I think it's a fab idea perhaps people here could help each other out when people may have family crisises (?) hospital visits etc. I know there's the kennelling option but it can be hard and expensive to find a good kennel. I too would love to foster as it's something my family did as I was growing up but I know I leave mine at hone for 3 hours every day and I have a cat so perhaps I'm not the best candidate??

David I had the exact same idea a while ago after hearing of yet another person having to rehome their dog due to "a change in circumstances" that may well have changed back again after a few months! But as Mick said the rescue crisis is sooo overwhelmed and then you would have to have REALLY strict rules and regulations as to how long it was you were looking after the dog etc.. it would be a mamoth task to even get started let alone keep going on a day to day.

In an ideal world it would be something I would LOVE to get involved in, for all those people like you wife who have a loved one in hospital or are going through a breakup or whatever but I think in the end it might not be a viable long term idea! :( Makes me soooo glad to be a member here with such a lovly and large family there is usually someone around who can help you out for a while.. thats what we need.. more breed forums!!! :)