Calcifer- 6 mo old pup- lots of problems

Hello All,

I joined this forum in January when I got my puppy Calcifer. Things have been really hard with him. We have tried everything imaginable to get him to do numerous "good dog" behaviors. Let me first say that I bring him to puppy socialization, have put him through two training courses, and bring him to the dog park each week as much as I can (which works out to being about twice a week with my course schedule. next semester I plan on scheduling all my classes earlier so I can bring him more often.) We also bring him on walks but I think I may need to walk him more. He is a very intelligent dog, but as huskies are, he is very very stubborn. OKay.. so let's start with my first big issue..

Potty training! For a while he was really good with it and didn't have too many accidents. Recently he seems to think it is O.K. to poop and pee in our bedroom. We rented a steam vac and cleaned the whole carpet, and then I sprayed NO GO on it. Didn't work. He has soiled it completely again. I have tried Nature's Miracle Advanced to get the scent out, and regular Nature's Miracle, as well as other carpet cleaning products. He still goes. I tried using puppy pee pads and he will go on them, but he also likes to eat them and rip them to shreds. Just recently he has stopped going outside as much and even if he pees outside multiple times, we bring him back in and he pees again. He doesn't really "tell" us he has to go, unless it's in the morning when we are all asleep. He will jump up and nudge us awake. If it is any other time than sleep time he usually doesn't tell us. I have noticed, however, that when he gets very anxious and bitey with us, it usually means he has to go out. Again, he doesn't do this regularly. I have tried rewarding him every time he goes outside and throwing a "good pee pee poo poo party" and praising him but he doesn't seem to care very much... at least in a way that he relates it with going outside. We tried crate training him when we first got him, but he wouldn't quite down. We live in an apartment and didn't want our neighbors/roommates to be mad at us so we let him sleep on the floor next to us and sometimes on our bed. I just took out the crate and I have him in the kitchen currently. Our roommates are on vacation and we have a few days to leave it in the kitchen. I so badly want to crate train him but since I put him in there he has been crying. I gave him water and a kong. I'm getting very frustrated and upset because I can't seem to train him to go outside. We tried the bells, and he did hit them with his nose, but he figured it out that he gets to go outside so now he just constantly hits the bells to go out even if he doesn't have to go.

He is also aggressive. He actually bit my boyfriend very very hard once because he went to pet him while he had a bone. We took the bone away for at least a month because we wanted him to know that that was not acceptable. For a while his aggression was going away, but it seems to be coming back. He is very friendly with other dogs at the dog park, and he is usually the one that will be scared by other aggressive dogs. He is very gentle with dogs smaller than he is. He loves people but still likes to jump on them. I feel like I am rambling now. I guess I just need to know what works the best.. I feel like I have googled the crap out of these topics, I've asked my parents, my boyfriend's parents, my dog trainer.. nothing seems to be working with him. I do not want to rehome him as I am very attached to him.. my boyfriend is a little more keen on the idea but doesn't want to do it either. He is not neutered yet but we do plan on getting him neutered. We have six months left in this apartment. Currently we live in a city, but we are planning on moving back where we come from (more of a suburbs area). I guess I just need some advice. My apologies if this is rambley.

Sounds like Elke our last Husky. She was a holy terror. We almost gave her back to the breeder, but we stuck it out. I would say she was between two and three before she finally was manageable. That does not offer much encouragement. Zoya, on the other hand, at six months, was very manageable.

Has Calcifer been neutered? Sometimes that helps with the urinating problem; not always but sometimes. Have you trained him to sit, stay, come, shake, etc? Those are the basics, but make training in other areas a bit easier. The biting issue would be one that would concern me. Taking the bone away for a month probably did little to teach him a lesson, as he most likely forgot the incident long before the month was out.

When you feed him, do you make him sit until you give him a command before he will approach his food? Seems perhaps unrelated, but having control of the resource of food is important to establish. It goes a long way to helping a dog understand who is in charge.

It sounds as though Calcifer thinks he's in charge, and he may be. If so, I'd have to wonder if he is an alpha. But all is not lost. I know it seems like nothing is working, but you simply just have to keep at it, reinforce the good and ignore the bad. Establish yourself as the alpha, and be consistent. Don't know if this helps, but there are no quick answers when it comes to Huskies, as you've discovered. I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas, and you'll have several ideas to work with. Best of luck.

Cal hasn't been neutered yet. Soon though, I hope. My boyfriend thinks we should find him a new home but he's my baby, I can't let him go. My boyfriend says that it's now in my hands whether or not we give him back, so that made me feel a bit better because every time he would mention it I would cry.. haha ;(

I know he probably forgot about the incident, but I can take the bone from him now without him biting so I guess it made me more comfortable. When we feed him we always make him sit and give us both paws. I have to hold it up in the air though or he would attack it. I definitely think Calcifer thinks he's the alpha. We've started calmly picking him up and putting him on his back when he gets outrageous, and my boyfriend Adam is much better at it then I am. It usually works... for a bit. Haha

Sounds like Elke our last Husky. She was a holy terror. We almost gave her back to the breeder, but we stuck it out. I would say she was between two and three before she finally was manageable. That does not offer much encouragement. Zoya, on the other hand, at six months, was very manageable.

Has Calcifer been neutered? Sometimes that helps with the urinating problem; not always but sometimes. Have you trained him to sit, stay, come, shake, etc? Those are the basics, but make training in other areas a bit easier. The biting issue would be one that would concern me. Taking the bone away for a month probably did little to teach him a lesson, as he most likely forgot the incident long before the month was out.

When you feed him, do you make him sit until you give him a command before he will approach his food? Seems perhaps unrelated, but having control of the resource of food is important to establish. It goes a long way to helping a dog understand who is in charge.

It sounds as though Calcifer thinks he's in charge, and he may be. If so, I'd have to wonder if he is an alpha. But all is not lost. I know it seems like nothing is working, but you simply just have to keep at it, reinforce the good and ignore the bad. Establish yourself as the alpha, and be consistent. Don't know if this helps, but there are no quick answers when it comes to Huskies, as you've discovered. I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas, and you'll have several ideas to work with. Best of luck.

Argh, that is disheartening. How are you dealing with it? I get so frustrated sometimes I start crying. (Out of sigh of Calcifer, of course)

Embry is the same way with potty training. He's eight months, and a terror when it comes to not having constant accidents.

Argh, that is disheartening. How are you dealing with it? I get so frustrated sometimes I start crying. (Out of sigh of Calcifer, of course)

man i was bawling the first few weeks i had him, he was three months and a complete monster! he wouldn't go outside ever! i tried putting puppy pads out there, and even sat out there will him for 4+ hours and he was holding it until he got inside! but i started taking him to the dog park on a daily basis and when he's there he goes poop and pee. i got him on a regular food schedule for the most part which helps with getting him to go poop outside but he has an automatic water dish so he's constantly peeing in the house on his pee pads. It's ridiculous, I'd love to be able to take him out every 30min but I can't between working and babysitting.

I'd honestly say just do a lot of praise when he goes outside, give him a few treats(didn't work with embry much but worked with past dogs). also when he goes in the house, don't let him see you cleaning it. otherwise he will think it's okay and keep doing it. I've also considered taking away the water dish when I'm not home/sleeping, but i feel that's cruel because what if he gets thirsty?

sorry if this doesn't help, i'm still trying too (haha)

Potty training ------- mine is 3 1/2 months and will pee and poo outside when I tell her to go pee but pees and poos inside everyday and everywhere. My other dog was so easy to train but hey they are all different. I have put a stair gate up so she can't get up the stairs to pee or poo on the carpet. You need to restrict the areas that he has access to, perhaps use a crate when you can't supervise him ( for short periods.) Feed him from your hand some times and make him sit calmly each time, our pup is very greedy and would snap the food so I have been teaching her to respect my hand and being calm pays off for her and me. Ask your boyfriend will he want to give the kids away if they behave badly lol You just need patience and be very strict with reinforcing that he is bottom of the pack. Make him sit when you open doors and wait until you have gone through first, don't let him walk in front of you when on the lead. Use treats to keep his attention. All easier said than done but just look at his wee face sure it's worth it. Try to introduce him to new people and dogs everday, excercise is the key to keeping him settled.cool.gif

I have to hold it up in the air though or he would attack it. I definitely think Calcifer thinks he's the alpha. We've started calmly picking him up and putting him on his back when he gets outrageous, and my boyfriend Adam is much better at it then I am. It usually works... for a bit. Haha

Holding the dish in the air has missed the point of that excercise... he is supposed to wait untill you say its ok to eat... this teaches him a, who is in charge of the food and b, to wait patiently to get his reward... I am doing this with my 1 yrs old rescue at the mo and its slow going but we are getting there... other areas to teach patients and help to esstablish you as the leader are getting him to sit and wait nicely while you get him ready to go out (harness, lead on etc), sitting and waiting to go through the door after you when your going out on a walk and sitting and waiting till you say ok to cross roads these again are things Im doing.

Deffinalty dont let him sleep on your bed also.. as the alpha you have the right to have the best sleeping spot, if he shares that spot, that tells him you and he are equals and he should be able to do as he wants.

When you put him on his back have a command for this (I use settle) say it calmly and soothingly while you have him laying down and dont let him up till you say its ok (this is another patients exercise) eventually you should be able to tell him to settle and he should lay down and be calm with just your say so.

I know it seems frustrating and slow but just keep at it.. its all about out stubborning the stubborn dog! LOL If you can keep at it long enough eventually her will learn that you mean what you say and you are more stubborn than him in getting your way!! :)

its a stage they all go through some do it well some test the patience of us, there is no set routine thts gauranteed to work, u say uve tried using puppy pads once hes soiled them have u tried movin the soiled pads outside to where u want him to go, reason im sayin i tried this method with keiko with newspapers once she had got used to using the papers inside i then moved the soiled papers outside and within a few days she was associated outside for toilet, yeah u have the odd accident but u got to remain calm and not shout at pups for the accident, goood luck and dont give up u can do it we're all cheering for u smile.gif

My nukka is 10 weeks old and went toilet 1st time ever in my room on my be dto be precise i was not impressed but one is forgiveable she is really good if confided to certain room she will use paper though some times her target is off.

With food from day one i have removed food from her. and she is never allowed it by any means untill i say other wise that way she knows im incharge of the foodvery quick learner but still tries her luck at times just have to be firm an keep on top of it.

With regards to toiletry one thing is they can do it for attention i was speaking to a vet about it she said if they go for a poo or wee dont clean it up infront of them call them in to room or garden so they cant see you clean it and only tell them off as im sure you are aware when doing or just done dont take them back to it as they just wont understand.

Aggression at such young age should easily be stopped with persistance an mental defeat of him.

I know he probably forgot about the incident, but I can take the bone from him now without him biting so I guess it made me more comfortable. When we feed him we always make him sit and give us both paws. I have to hold it up in the air though or he would attack it. I definitely think Calcifer thinks he's the alpha. We've started calmly picking him up and putting him on his back when he gets outrageous, and my boyfriend Adam is much better at it then I am. It usually works... for a bit. Haha

When you say he is still aggressive, what exactly do you mean? When exactly is he aggressive? is it just over food?

What day to day training do you do with him? Do you practice anything like NILIF (nothing in life is free)?

Putting him on his back will teach him nothing other than that you are challenging him and that using force and physical strength is the way to win. This is dangerous a) because you risk him taking you up the on challenge and b ) what happens if he takes you up on the challenge and you aren't strong enough to keep him pinned to the ground? You can't force your dog to respect you, and doing things like alpha rolling him will only lessen his trust in you. I don't want to teach my dogs aggression is the way to win.

I will PM you some more information :)

ETA: I don't personally use the taking food away method as this can create a resource guarder - imagine any time you were eating, someone coming over and taking your food away, yelling at you if you asked for it back, touching you, annoying you, playing with your food as you were trying to eat etc. The only thing it would teach me is that something bad would happen to me any time someone came near me when I was eating. I'd tell them to get buggered too ;)

Our dog has gone back on her potty training a bit. We think it was because she was getting close to being in heat but she knows shes wrong. Does your dog show any sign of guilt when he goes? Missy will look up and if she sees us she will take off in a dead sprint as we say no. We open the door and say go potty and off she goes. We never had success with potty pads. Missy shreds them like they are some type of toy. It also didnt help that with the kids around she would be outside playing from time to time and forget to go potty before we let her in. I think if you pup shows that he knows he's in the wrong you can address it more easily but if not you have to set up a way to show him that behaviour is not favorable

Our dog has gone back on her potty training a bit. We think it was because she was getting close to being in heat but she knows shes wrong. Does your dog show any sign of guilt when he goes? Missy will look up and if she sees us she will take off in a dead sprint as we say no. We open the door and say go potty and off she goes. We never had success with potty pads. Missy shreds them like they are some type of toy. It also didnt help that with the kids around she would be outside playing from time to time and forget to go potty before we let her in. I think if you pup shows that he knows he's in the wrong you can address it more easily but if not you have to set up a way to show him that behaviour is not favorable

hey can i disagree here - dogs dont no when theyve done wrong they have no sense ov guilt they can tell when ur dissapointed in them by the tone ov ur voice and ur body language which makes them 'look' guilty because they can tell ur dissapointed but they wont know why

hey can i disagree here - dogs dont no when theyve done wrong they have no sense ov guilt they can tell when ur dissapointed in them by the tone ov ur voice and ur body language which makes them 'look' guilty because they can tell ur dissapointed but they wont know why

my mistake. I guess Missy plays the part and had me fooled :)