obsessive behaviour

hey all, i need a little help, and im not afraid to admit it

as most of you know echo is our rescue gsd and we have transformed from the wreck she was to a mildy pschotic dog lol

however she has developed and obsession with her squeaky tennis balls, she must have hold of it at all times and will stress when it is out of reach.

we took her out for a ball throw/run with koda today and as my dad took the ball from her so i could attach her halti, she squirmed and growled and lunged to get the ball, and was trying to wrench it from the ball launcher in my dads hand.

we have never seen her react this violently and dont know what to do, she will drop and leave with other objects but not her squeaky balls

need help please

kelly and andy

Does she have the ball all the time ??? if so take it away put it where she can't see it, only allow her access to it when you want her to play on walks.

Alternate toys out on walks try a frisby, football take the focus away from the tennis ball xxx

just an idea good luck xxx

all of the toys are out of reach until we decide that they can play, we are strict in not allowing them to decide when to give toys back, nothing trumps a ball even frisbees. if there is no ball then she will play with something else. but if a tennis ball is present then she will claim it and not give it up

i'd look at removing tennis balls alltogether if it is an issue. Hopefully she wont change the obsessive behaviour onto another toy, but you will have to wait and see.

The GSDs i have worked with that have had "issues" often obcess over something as a coping mechanism. They get stressed so direct all their attention to that one object and it becomes a security blanket. I once knew a shep who would carry a cuddly toy everywhere with him and without it fell to peices.

If Echo behaves normally without the ball then i would remove it all together and not use them.

thanks guys i might just remove all tennis balls from the house and hope she doesnt obsess about another toy.

she had her fair share of problems but we didnt notice the behaviour as much until today when she reacted very violently and it shocked us

I would try and teach her some control around the tennis ball. You have rules about when she can have it, but what about rules when she does have it? Why not use her desire for the tennis ball to your advantage and get her to work for it then use it as a reward - have her do some heel work, run through commands etc and teach her to look at YOU not at the ball. My dog loves squeaky toys too, but before I even throw them to him, he must have 110% eye contact with me, even if I wave the toy around.

To make it easier for you to get back, have you tried getting one of those balls on a rope and getting her to tug with you?

I know your concerns with Echos "obsessive-ness" i'm trying to avoid creating such behaviors with my new Border Collie. I don't allow any "recreational" toys in the house (such as balls, frisbees, konga Wubbas ect. ect.) Seamus is not obsessive with the tennis ball, but if he has one... you're going to throw it.. and throw it... and throw it. Since Echo has such a "need" to have the squeaky ball, i'd use it as a reward... not as a toy.