Snubbing nose at training classes. Is this to be expected?

Hey all!

In going through all of the training threads, I've got a question regarding classes and getting your dogs into one.

We took Ripley to a puppy class. She did exceptionally well, and actually passed with flying colors. The trainer remarked how quickly Ripley learned commands in class and how well she did.

So here's the rub...

While Ripley did wonderfully well in class, as soon as we got home, it was like we never went! It was as if she knew to behave in class, but once back around Mom and Dad, well, to hell with it! She would come when she got around to it. Sit when she felt she needed to. Heel when it suited her tastes. Stay as long as there was nothing better to do. I did not always reward her with a food treat. I kept switching it up to keep her guessing.

I have continued to "train" her, but honestly, she responds to the training only when and if she wants to. She's 5 years old now. Too late?

Is this just a normal Husky thing?

Good question, added to rep

Sorry to say this is a normal husky thing, they seem to evaluate the pros and cons of an action before carrying it out lol.

Some however can carry out orders sit, stay etc with ease sounds like yours isn't one of them though i'm afraid lol

I dont think 5 is too old to train though, it's all about repetition

Sorry, but it does seem to be a husky thing. Some will behave perfectly most of the time and some won't. I have heard that even a well trained husky will be perfect sometimes and then another time you give the command they may just look at you as if they don't know what your on about!

5 years isn't too old. Learning is like a natural instinct with dogs and they never seem to loose that eagerness. Obviously, huskies aren't the easiest breed to train and you do need to be firm with them.

I don't know if this is possible, just a thought mainly, but could be training too hard with her and this has become too much for her to take in so gets confused as to what command you are giving.

One thing I have found out being on here, is that bribery can be a good way to 'get your own way' with a husky.

It is a siberian thing. However, I believe, that you need to look at is your own demeanor. Since you've had such success while at class, you're success there has given you a confidence that is prominently displayed. You've come to expect Ripley to respond correctly there.

Are you projecting this same confindence at home? Could he be 'reading' that you're more unsure or not totally focuses on this at home? Finding his motivator at home is as essential as the projection of confidence. Motivation can be in the form of food, a walk, play, etc. I discovered that I am "softer" on Bo when we're at home than when we are someplace else. He knows that I expect his excellent behavior in public. I am a firm believer that his actions reflect directly back on me - especially in public.

Being a typical Siberian, his intelligence and ability to read my expectations can (and will) be used against me, given the opportunity. I have to work to keep his interests up. He's constantly learning and will challenge a command if I'm not 100 percent confident when the command is given.

Ripley could have become bored with a particular aspect of the training and has decided to "amuse" himself by frustrating you. I know this may sound like humanization, but I know my boy and I know that the comedian in him enjoys that. It can be another game for them IMHO.

FYI - Since Bo is 14 and these are things that I experience each day, I do not believe a dog can be "too old" to learn new things.

It is a Siberian trait to be stubborn, strong willed and difficult to train. However - this does not mean it is impossible to do so! And five years of age is never to young to start training. Sibes are smart and will pick things up quickly if they have the right motivation.

I follow the training principle of nothing in life is free (NILIF). My dogs get absolutely nothing without "paying" for it first. If they want a pat or attention they must sit first. If they want to go outside they have to sit quietly at the door. If they want me to play with them, throw their toys etc they must do something for it first - and at all times it is on my terms as to whether I engage with them.

A classic example - Micha howls at the door to come inside. I open the door and I command him to sit. If he doesn't sit on the first command, I shut the door and he has to stay outside - he does not gain anything by refusing to comply to my commands. Next time I open the door to let him in, you bet his butt is on the ground as soon as I tell him! And the more you do it, the more automatic their responses become - so now I don't need to command him to sit when he wants to come in, he just does it straight away.

Sibes are a breed that will do nothing if they cannot see a point, training is about creating boundaries and consequences as well as giving the dog the right motivation.

ETA: It may sound harsh but as much as I agree it is a typical Sibe thing to be tricky to train, I do not write off bad behaviour as a breed trait. I don't care what breed the dog is - the rules in my house are the rules and they must be obeyed :D

Thanks for all the thoughts and points! It's good to hear that this is likely her nature, and that it's also us probably giving in too soon.

The wife and I haven't been as harsh on the "nothing is free" aspect of training as we could as I believe Ripley got the best of us on that. Battling her attitude on making sure commands get followed usually means that we get worn down. She doesn't get a treat or reward, but the training session stops I suppose in a draw. Ripley didn't sit/heel/stay, but she also didn't get her reward, either. Or she gives it a half-assed attempt, where she doesn't get her reward and then we get an earful of her yammering! I suppose she does "win" as our patience eventually wears out with no real progress made.

All-in-all, I still wouldn't trade her for anything else!